The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 10-04-2007, 11:48 AM   #1
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road
Default speaking of mufflers...

Are any of my brothers and sisters running other mufflers on their C3 other then stock? I was wondering about either Magnaflos or Flomasters for my BB 72.

If so how do you like the sound at both low speeds and hwy speeds?

Thanks Ya'll.

Ken
Unread 10-04-2007, 11:58 AM   #2
sandman

Name :
sandman is on a distinguished road

Ken I owned several Barracudas in my day and I always used Sonic Turbos. They might not be as good as the others you mentioned but in my 66 cuda they sounded bad ass. My engine was only a small block 340 but I had her engine built with the best. It would move quick. Of course it sat there at lights and would just thump. But the mufflers worked out great. Just a suggestion. Good luck.
SM
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2007, 01:05 PM   #3
JIM KILL
TampaBay Vettes

Name : Jim Kill
JIM KILL is on a distinguished road
Talking Suggestion

I had these on my C4 and loved the sound!!!

http://estore.websitepros.com/802805/Detail.bok?no=13

Read this also:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=674326
Jim
JIM KILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2007, 01:39 PM   #4
sandman

Name :
Default Nice

Ya Jim those are nice. I couldn't afford anything like that for my C4 so i am running just straight pipes.
SM
Unread 10-04-2007, 04:54 PM   #5
Rich427
'69 Vert/'01 Vert/'04 Z16

Name :
Rich427 is on a distinguished road

Ken,

I have tried to keep my '69 BB as close to original looking as possible, but to be honest I got tired of the sound that you get from the current "off road" exhaust systems that are being produced today. It sounded like a two seater Impala, and it was just not getting it for me.

So, about 5 years ago I purchased a pair of Magnaflow mufflers from Corvette Central. Here is a current link.

http://www.corvettecentral.com/

I really like the sound of these mufflers and they come with the welded bracket for the stock rear muffler hanger. The only problem that I have had is that the left muffler does not sit correctly in the rear valance (not symetrical with the right side). I was going to take it somewhere and have it cut and welded, but never got around to it before the move. The price was not bad either, less than $200 for the pair.

I hope this helps.

Rich

2014 Z51 7 Speed Convertible
Laguna Blue/Grey/Grey

Last edited by Rich427; 10-05-2007 at 10:02 AM.
Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2007, 05:48 PM   #6
"Backyard Mechanic"

Name :
"Backyard Mechanic" has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap142 View Post
Are any of my brothers and sisters running other mufflers on their C3 other then stock? I was wondering about either Magnaflos or Flomasters for my BB 72.

Thanks Ya'll.

Ken
I have heard alot of mufflers on 454's,the best one I have heard is Eeldbrocks,Flowmasters are crap on big blocks,they are ok on small blocks,you might as well be running staight pipes and headers.There are alot more brands better the Flowmaster,beside they are one of the few still made in the good USA.On my Nova I had made a custom made headers and ran staight pipes{ 3" } all the way out to Eledbrocks,Sweet,mildly loud and very throuty,if you are planning to change the originals,then you should do a complete exhaust sytem,better sound ,better tourqe and it will sound like it suppose to.I will bring over the Mig.and we can go exhaust shopping and in a few hours it will be done,no clamps needed.I need to weld something soon or I will lose my mind.I was thinking of building a shark cage just for the hell of it.
"Backyard Mechanic" is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2007, 10:49 PM   #7
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Backyard Mechanic" View Post
I have heard alot of mufflers on 454's,the best one I have heard is Eeldbrocks,Flowmasters are crap on big blocks,they are ok on small blocks,you might as well be running staight pipes and headers.There are alot more brands better the Flowmaster,beside they are one of the few still made in the good USA.On my Nova I had made a custom made headers and ran staight pipes{ 3" } all the way out to Eledbrocks,Sweet,mildly loud and very throuty,if you are planning to change the originals,then you should do a complete exhaust sytem,better sound ,better tourqe and it will sound like it suppose to.I will bring over the Mig.and we can go exhaust shopping and in a few hours it will be done,no clamps needed.I need to weld something soon or I will lose my mind.I was thinking of building a shark cage just for the hell of it.
Rob always has a great zinger...

I am going back some 30 years, but do you remember "Thrush" Mufflers? Back in the 70's they were THE "sound". A few years later I put a set of "Thrush Rush" mufflers on a 396 Malibu my buddy had and they sounded GREAT, I don't know if they still make them but they sure had that "muscle car" sound.

Glad I could be of no help at all,

Joe B.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2007, 03:31 AM   #8
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap142 View Post

Thanks Ya'll.

Ken
Ken, I have Flowmasters on my C4 and they drone like a mofo. Then again, I'm running MAD 3" true duals as well

I might suggest looking here:

www.corvettevalley.com

They have a HUGE C1-2 & 3 group there (actually, most of the braintrust from CF came over there after the meltdown)

It's a great alternative or addendum to CorvetteForum withiout all the idocracy that goes on over on Digital Whorevettes

I'd check with them. Like I said, lots of C3 owners there and very knowedgeable. Bet you'd get the information you're looking for

Gordon
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2007, 02:47 PM   #9
72ragtop

Name :
72ragtop is on a distinguished road

ken, Like Rich427 I have the magnaflows from CC on my car. I Like them. They actually took a little driving for sound to mellow out. But after a yr on car, remember to me thats about 300-500 miles. They sound great to me.
72ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2007, 02:52 PM   #10
sandman

Name :
Talking Pinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 softtail View Post
Rob always has a great zinger...

I am going back some 30 years, but do you remember "Thrush" Mufflers? Back in the 70's they were THE "sound". A few years later I put a set of "Thrush Rush" mufflers on a 396 Malibu my buddy had and they sounded GREAT, I don't know if they still make them but they sure had that "muscle car" sound.

Glad I could be of no help at all,

Joe B.

Ziiinnnggerrrrr!
SM
Name:  flag_germany.gif
Views: 187
Size:  813 Bytes