The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > General BS forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General BS forum I guess this will be for anything that would seem to be off topic in any other forum here. Just general shootin' the breeze kind of topics.

Unread 10-04-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
9T8Vette
Been around for awhile

Name :
9T8Vette is on a distinguished road
Default Audi's E-tron Concept

Now if they would make electric cars just like this one U can count me In 330 HP and over 3000# of torque 0 to 60 in 4.8 sec. Wow with 150 mile range before a recharge Cool http://video-player.edmunds.com/serv...id=40488360001
Unread 10-04-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

I just wouldn't want to be the first on my block with one. With all the current those batteries are likely capable of, I would guess a major short in the wiring resulting from an accident could be quite spectacular.....
Unread 10-04-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

Rich, sounds like you might be saying that the results of a crash could very well be "shocking".
I just COULDN'T pass that up.........
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 07:11 PM   #4
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy2kcoupe View Post
Rich, sounds like you might be saying that the results of a crash could very well be "shocking".
I just COULDN'T pass that up.........
Andy
That story would generate quite a "BUZZ" among the news outlets.....
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
navy2kcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Rocket View Post
That story would generate quite a "BUZZ" among the news outlets.....
Might also be an en-LIGHT-ening experience
Andy
Unread 10-04-2009, 08:37 PM   #6
Rich Z

Hmm, I guess I should have stated...

"I would guess a major short in the wiring resulting from an accident could be quite sparktacular..... "
Unread 10-04-2009, 08:44 PM   #7
LS2POWA
Team Afterhours Member

Name : Corey Metz
LS2POWA is on a distinguished road

Pretty soon, electric companies are gonna start charging ppl out the arse like oil companies do now for energy.

150 miles before a recharge eh..guess it aint going on road trips. Assuming the price will be high I dont see it worth it. I get like 100 miles on 1/4 tank of gas in my expedition with a 5.4 and all three a/c units blowing cold in there.
Unread 10-05-2009, 07:12 AM   #8
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2POWA View Post
Pretty soon, electric companies are gonna start charging ppl out the arse like oil companies do now for energy.

150 miles before a recharge eh..guess it aint going on road trips. Assuming the price will be high I dont see it worth it. I get like 100 miles on 1/4 tank of gas in my expedition with a 5.4 and all three a/c units blowing cold in there.
I agree. Once they catch on, it's Katie bar the door The trick is, alternative recharging or, regeneration (ala the Prius)

And there's always the arguement about the batteries and thier eventual environmental impact.
Hell! Everything has it's problems. You trade one set for another.

Here's a question for you:
What is the total capacity of your tank?

Depending on the amount of fuel and the market price, there could still be quite a savings in that 100 mile trip

When I drove the Priius for a month, 100 miles wouldn't even move the fuel needle

And with 3k torgue and almost instant full throttle (remember-it's electric), @ 4.3 seconds you're within the "hand them their asses" range of most the performance cars, stock and modified, on the road today

And I didn't catch it, but if this thing is AWD...well, it could certainly be a force to be reckoned with

And imagine, all this while doing so quietly so as not to wake, I mean alert, the local constabulary

Many people still want styling and performance along with thier economy.

The styling on this one is nice (been very impressed with Audi the last several years), and if the price point is right, this should be a big seller.

Now, if they would get their regenerative act together like Toyota and dump the plug, you could tell the fuel companies that they won't be seeing you as much any more and the electric companies to bite your ankle!, and still go out and have some fun

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2009, 11:17 AM   #9
navy2kcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I agree. Once they catch on, it's Katie bar the door The trick is, alternative recharging or, regeneration (ala the Prius)

And there's always the arguement about the batteries and thier eventual environmental impact.
Hell! Everything has it's problems. You trade one set for another.

Here's a question for you:
What is the total capacity of your tank?

Depending on the amount of fuel and the market price, there could still be quite a savings in that 100 mile trip

When I drove the Priius for a month, 100 miles wouldn't even move the fuel needle

And with 3k torgue and almost instant full throttle (remember-it's electric), @ 4.3 seconds you're within the "hand them their asses" range of most the performance cars, stock and modified, on the road today

And I didn't catch it, but if this thing is AWD...well, it could certainly be a force to be reckoned with

And imagine, all this while doing so quietly so as not to wake, I mean alert, the local constabulary

Many people still want styling and performance along with thier economy.

The styling on this one is nice (been very impressed with Audi the last several years), and if the price point is right, this should be a big seller.

Now, if they would get their regenerative act together like Toyota and dump the plug, you could tell the fuel companies that they won't be seeing you as much any more and the electric companies to bite your ankle!, and still go out and have some fun
Shadow, you and LS2POWA have got it ALL wrong. There HAS to be a trailer hitch somewhere
on that car!!!! That way you are able to tow the motor-generator that will be used to
supply the electricity to keep the batteries recharged.
Actually, my Father-In-Law had a very good solution for that back in the early eighties.
He said that the car manufacturers should remove EVERYTHING that was engine driven,
from the engine and let the engine be used to only power the car. Then hook up all of those
horsepower robbing add ons to a small turbine and run the exhaust from the engine, thru the turbine.
There may be enough unburnt fuel to make it run, and if there isn't, add what's necessary.
Design the turbine to be efficient (low fuel use, and low emissions) at ONE particular RPM
and that's where it would run. Turbine spool up lag would be eliminated because it
wouldn't be used to propel the car, and would not have to increase and decrease RPM's.
Take it one step farther, and use a small turbine to run a generator, and keep the
batteries of a hybrid charged. Cycle the turbine up and down (idle and run speed) or
on and off as necessary to keep the batteries charged. A turbine designed to run at 1 speed
can be made to be very efficient. Maybe that's the way it'll go in the future.....Who knows!
Chrysler's Turbine car .................

.........could be making a comeback in a slightly different form .............
Most of the inherent difficulties in using a turbine to power an automobile would be
eliminated, and fuel mileage would probably be increased as well. The turbine may be able
to be designed in such a way as to be able to power the car, at a very reduced speed,
for a short distance of less than 5 - 10 miles as well in case of emergency. Just throwin' some ideas out there.

Andy
Unread 10-05-2009, 11:20 AM   #10
Rich Z

Yeah, I think the limiting factors for acceptance of such a vehicle is not only going to be the number of miles between recharges, but also HOW LONG that recharge will take before you can continue on your way. Obviously this won't be an issue for commuting to and from work or running to the grocery store, but it WILL be an issue for long trips that are over 150 miles. If the recharge period is substantially longer than the time it takes to fill your tank with gasoline, it could be a tough sell. Unless the electric cars are VERY inexpensive, I suspect many people wouldn't want one that would be strictly limited to around town driving only. That would mean they would HAVE to buy two vehicles. One for trips, and the other (the electric one) for circling home base on a virtual tether.

Not to mention, that I expect that "150 miles before recharges" is referring to brand new batteries, and that figure will likely degrade with age and use.