The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 06-16-2020, 01:05 AM   #31
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASZ51 View Post
Greg sure could tune a car. He did three of mine and all were perfect. I am too scared to tune this car and lose the warranty.
Yeah, that is definitely a concern. From what I understand the dealerships check cars that come in for drivetrain warranty work to see if the PCM (or whatever they are calling it in the new models) has been modified. Doesn't matter that it had been returned to the stock tune before bringing it in to the dealership as apparently they can detect that the tune has ever been modified somehow. But then again, they have more sophisticated tools at their disposal than the tuning programs we can buy commercially.

With all the purpose made electronics in these cars these days, I believe that it is getting to the point where most people will be reluctant to keep them after the warranty has expired. And after new stocked parts have evaporated, well, people will likely be scrounging around in junk yards quite a bit.

Heck, with all the doodads in my Grand Cherokee, I doubt I will keep it after the warranty expires. Matter of fact, I'm pretty sure that if the radio fails, the car will be dead in the water. So many functions of the car seem to be handled through the radio's interface, and I'm not sure it would even be driveable if the radio went kaput. I'm guessing the new generation Corvettes are likely going to be in the same boat. The radio is the obvious choice for a command center over all the functions in a fully loaded vehicle.

I suppose the shade tree mechanic days or just about over with unless you are only working on older vehicles. Maybe shops that do tuning and mods are seeing that writing on the wall.

Just idle speculation, of course.
Unread 06-16-2020, 06:25 AM   #32
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Yeah, that is definitely a concern. From what I understand the dealerships check cars that come in for drivetrain warranty work to see if the PCM (or whatever they are calling it in the new models) has been modified. Doesn't matter that it had been returned to the stock tune before bringing it in to the dealership as apparently they can detect that the tune has ever been modified somehow. But then again, they have more sophisticated tools at their disposal than the tuning programs we can buy commercially.

With all the purpose made electronics in these cars these days, I believe that it is getting to the point where most people will be reluctant to keep them after the warranty has expired. And after new stocked parts have evaporated, well, people will likely be scrounging around in junk yards quite a bit.

Heck, with all the doodads in my Grand Cherokee, I doubt I will keep it after the warranty expires. Matter of fact, I'm pretty sure that if the radio fails, the car will be dead in the water. So many functions of the car seem to be handled through the radio's interface, and I'm not sure it would even be driveable if the radio went kaput. I'm guessing the new generation Corvettes are likely going to be in the same boat. The radio is the obvious choice for a command center over all the functions in a fully loaded vehicle.

I suppose the shade tree mechanic days or just about over with unless you are only working on older vehicles. Maybe shops that do tuning and mods are seeing that writing on the wall.

Just idle speculation, of course.
I think the day is coming they will have speed controls on cars and know if you have been speeding and Ins comps making people use a device to track how they drive. Once all that starts i am done driving.
CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2020, 09:42 AM   #33
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASZ51 View Post
I think the day is coming they will have speed controls on cars and know if you have been speeding and Ins comps making people use a device to track how they drive. Once all that starts i am done driving.
I am gonna order a Soler ported TB and pedal controller. I can't take driving this car much longer with the insane lag. The car will even surge from a stop once in a while. Once i can trust the car after a year it gets tuned.
Unread 08-30-2020, 06:56 AM   #34
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

The ported Solder TB helped. But taking the car to the dealer Monday for maybe cracked wheels and a bad rear end. I may just lemon or sell the car. Just not happy with it and it seems slow vs my C6. I don't think GM will cover wheels and so many have had bad wheels with the GS and Z06.

Never buy a C7 out of warranty.
Unread 08-30-2020, 09:22 AM   #35
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Time to move up to a C-8? The reviews look good.
Unread 08-30-2020, 09:24 AM   #36
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
If a used one ever pops up for under 100k. Maybe in 4 years. It has the flying frunk problem so here we go again. I maybe done for good.
Unread 08-30-2020, 10:21 AM   #37
85vette

Name :

https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/1G1Y82D40L5000603
Unread 08-30-2020, 12:27 PM   #38
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The C8 looks great, but it's a way too new design for me to even think about getting one. For one thing, it looks like a bear to work on for anything related to the engine. I don't think a tech could get to it without damaging the paint on the body panels unless they just drop the drivetrain out of the body instead of getting to it from the top. Definitely not going to be a DIY car for anyone who doesn't have a lift. And I don't have a whole lot of faith in ANY place that works on vettes these days to not screw something up while they are working on it.

I just bought an extended warranty on the Grand Cherokee, so I will keep it for probably no more than 8 years. BTW, if you want to buy an extended warranty, you have to go out of state to get any sort of deal. Florida has a law on the books where the dealers MUST sell it at full retail. Even buying out of state, you will have to give them a a mailing address outside of Florida in order for them to be able to sell to you. State sponsored price fixing, if you ask me.

Would be nice to hear that the C8 is bullet proof, but with GM's past history, I sure wouldn't hold my breath hoping for that to happen. Their fiasco with the LS7 engines caused me to dump my C6Z06 last Fall. Sure put a sour taste in my mouth, too.
Unread 08-30-2020, 03:03 PM   #39
85vette

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
The C8 looks great, but it's a way too new design for me to even think about getting one. For one thing, it looks like a bear to work on for anything related to the engine. I don't think a tech could get to it without damaging the paint on the body panels unless they just drop the drivetrain out of the body instead of getting to it from the top. Definitely not going to be a DIY car for anyone who doesn't have a lift. And I don't have a whole lot of faith in ANY place that works on vettes these days to not screw something up while they are working on it.

I just bought an extended warranty on the Grand Cherokee, so I will keep it for probably no more than 8 years. BTW, if you want to buy an extended warranty, you have to go out of state to get any sort of deal. Florida has a law on the books where the dealers MUST sell it at full retail. Even buying out of state, you will have to give them a a mailing address outside of Florida in order for them to be able to sell to you. State sponsored price fixing, if you ask me.

Would be nice to hear that the C8 is bullet proof, but with GM's past history, I sure wouldn't hold my breath hoping for that to happen. Their fiasco with the LS7 engines caused me to dump my C6Z06 last Fall. Sure put a sour taste in my mouth, too.
I don't put a lot of stock in the "reported problems" that many vehicles supposedly have. My 2011 F-350 was supposed to drop valves because it was one of the "early builds." The engine was built in June of 2010. 190K+ miles and it still runs and drives like it's new. I was contemplating getting a new 2020 to replace it with because the new one has 475 hp and 1050 ft/lbs of torque. But I really can't justify it. Maybe I'll just put some new doodads on my truck.

Oh, since you mentioned the extended warranty thing on your Jeep, be advised that Jeep apparently has some newfangled stuff on their air conditioning systems. My daughter's 2017 Grand Cherokee had the A/C stop working and she took it to the guy that does all her maintenance work and he told her that the A/C is DEALER ONLY. Her extended warranty paid for it but she had to wait two weeks for a part that was on backorder. She had to go to Quincy as the dealer in Tallahassee was backed up.

Did you have any issues with your C6? What were the problems? Asking in the event I shop for a newer CTS V. Pretty sure they shared the same engine.
Unread 08-30-2020, 03:20 PM   #40
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

Quote:
I will never go over 55k for a used one. So i may get a Chevy spark on a lark. 3 years with that and i can save enough for a used C8 if prices ever come down. C6's are getting old and parts will be hard to find.