The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Z06Fever!

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Z06Fever! Well, why not? Having one of these toys is definitely an illness for which there is no cure, so let's talk about this specific malady.

Unread 10-07-2006, 10:30 AM   #1
jbp8653

Name :
jbp8653 is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone ever go to Bradenton?

Hello all! Anyone ever go to test and tune at Bradenton? I have been meaning to go to see what the Z will do for a while now. Had a 05 Z51 6 speed coupe before Z with longtubes/cam/intake/Jeremy Fomato tune and the best I could get it to do was a 12.7. Terrible 60 foot times. I think a stock C6 ran that well. Z has a few mods with tune/halltech filter/ported intake. 478/441. Hopefully I can improve on 60' times!
Unread 10-07-2006, 02:47 PM   #2
USA-1

Name :
USA-1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbp8653
Anyone ever go to test and tune at Bradenton? I have been meaning to go.....
The RevXtreme Corvette Challenge Series races at Bradenton Motorsports Park Saturday mornings, once a month, and has 2 more scheduled events yet this season (28 October and 18 November ):
I am new to central Florida, and although I have a 'lowly' Cross-Fire, I plan-on attending both events.

Last edited by USA-1; 10-08-2006 at 10:52 AM.
USA-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2006, 06:15 PM   #3
jbp8653

Name :

Well, I took my own advice and went to Bradenton today. It was a bitter sweet day to say the least. My first run leaving at 2700rpm's and bogging a bit netted a 12.12 and 124.xx mph. I was very happy with that being the first time in this car. Second time up I figured I would leave a little harder, so I went to 3000rpm's and tried it again. All seemed ok until I hit second gear. I blew the universal out on the pass side. So I coasted to the end of the track and pulled way off to the side. Flatbed showed up couple hours later and it's on the lift at the dealership waiting for Monday. I wasn't even power shifting the car. Universal on that side is a known weak point so I guess I will get the updated parts when they repair it. Dang......I knew I could of gotten it into the elevens with nooooo problem. Guess I will have to wait till next time!
Unread 10-08-2006, 09:47 AM   #4
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

I'd like to make it out there at some point. I live near the Sunshine Speedway and they still have a few test and tunes left this year. I'd like to wait for it to be a little cooler.

Sorry to hear about your Z.

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2006, 12:58 PM   #5
CREWZIN

Name :
CREWZIN is on a distinguished road

Quote:
. All seemed ok until I hit second gear. I blew the universal out on the pass side. So I coasted to the end of the track and pulled way off to the side. Flatbed showed up couple hours later and it's on the lift at the dealership waiting for Monday.
Well that might have put a few owners off thinking about track time. I've been down a few tracks including 3 different ones durng the Hot Rod Power Tour but I've always have this dark feeling when I'm pushing it down the track as to when something going to blow. I spend enough on changing and upgrading parts that I don't need to cause a problem myself.

87 Dark Red Metallic Coupe. L98 Auto, 143,000 smilin miles.
Black 17" Z06 Motorsport Wheels, Muffler Eliminators, "Y" pipe w/o pre-cats, K&N with open lid, TB Flow Booster, Big Mouth Performance Air Dam, Vette Connection Stage II Chip. Citrus County Corvette Club
CREWZIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2006, 01:12 PM   #6
jbp8653

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN
Well that might have put a few owners off thinking about track time. I've been down a few tracks including 3 different ones durng the Hot Rod Power Tour but I've always have this dark feeling when I'm pushing it down the track as to when something going to blow. I spend enough on changing and upgrading parts that I don't need to cause a problem myself.
Yup, thats for sure.....but....a car of this nature and price should not break while on street tires going down a drag strip or spirited driving on the street at any time ever. They know of this problem as there is a revised part number for those of us that broke. At least now I will have the stronger piece. I drive it like a little old lady 98% of the time. The few times I lean on her, I expect not to have to call a tow truck. That being said, I still love the car and wouldn't trade it for anything!
Unread 10-08-2006, 09:06 PM   #7
2Vettes

Name :
2Vettes is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about the Z. But, you're right. GM knows these cars are not going to be grocery getters. Good luck next time you take her down the track. We want to see you post some 11's.
We've been to Bradenton a few times when we had the C4's. For some reason we've not taken the C5's yet.
Unread 10-09-2006, 11:42 PM   #8
9T8Vette
Been around for awhile

Name :
9T8Vette is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about your Z but like you said she stonger now.I wish we could set a date for the bradenton track this fall.We could run ours cars and shoot the sh it.Come on Guys lets set a date for the track
9T8Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2006, 11:49 PM   #9
jbp8653

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9T8Vette
Sorry to hear about your Z but like you said she stonger now.I wish we could set a date for the bradenton track this fall.We could run ours cars and shoot the sh it.Come on Guys lets set a date for the track
I think they are having a test and tune 10/21!
Unread 10-10-2006, 01:41 AM   #10
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yup, thats for sure.....but....a car of this nature and price should not break while on street tires going down a drag strip or spirited driving on the street at any time ever. They know of this problem as there is a revised part number for those of us that broke. At least now I will have the stronger piece. I drive it like a little old lady 98% of the time. The few times I lean on her, I expect not to have to call a tow truck. That being said, I still love the car and wouldn't trade it for anything!
Absolutely! The car should be ABLE to do what it was designed for and advertised as being capable of. And I'd be REAL curious to know if running the car on a drag strip voids the warranty. That would certainly bust your chops, I'll bet!

Let us know how it goes.

I've only been to the dragstrip once, many years ago when I lived in Maryland and wanted to run my '66 GTO. I lost, of course, because the mods I did put the car into the Modified Production class and I was up against a guy who had to pull back on the reigns to keep from running out of that class. Don't know if things were different back then, but they used to class cars by the potential and actual 1/4 times. At least I think that's how it worked..... Lots of guys would have a switch to turn off the brake lights so it wouldn't be visible that they were hitting the brakes to stay in the bracket.

Anyway, I made it safely to the finish line and was in the low 13s, which I don't feel was too bad for a heavy convertible GTO. But still, I did witness several cars give up the ghost on the way down the strip, so that certainly is a risk to be reckoned with. I watched a video just last night where a guy chewed up the ring in his rear end running a course. So even that has a potential price to pay, I suppose.