The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 07-15-2017, 12:06 AM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Bird life on Sanibel Island

In June Connie and I were on Sanibel Island and I was able to get some video of various and sundry birds that seem to abound there. Ospreys are very common, along with the more typical shoreline birds.

We took the bikes through Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge and found a few birds nesting nearby an observation platform that allowed me to get some video of some newly hatched babies in the nests.

So anyway, I just tied some random clips of the birds together into a video, and here's what I've come up with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xZl3FJoNfg
Unread 07-16-2017, 09:21 AM   #2
mrr23
The Alignment Guy

Name : Robert J Hinton
mrr23 is on a distinguished road

pretty
Unread 07-16-2017, 02:45 PM   #3
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

Pretty place to live. Good offshore fishing 40 to 80 miles west.
CHASZ51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2017, 03:09 PM   #4
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Honestly, Sanibel is a nice place to visit, but I don't think I would want to live there. We were actually looking over real estate guides while we were there, and I get the impression that the deed restrictions would really get on my nerves. I read an article about someone wanting to make a minor change to their dock, and the number of hoops they were required to jump through was ridiculous.

We did pick up some books on the history of the island, and that is all pretty interesting. At one time land was just given away there, with the requirement that the new owners had to live and work the land for at least 5 years to be able to retain ownership. Life was pretty harsh, so many people could not fulfill that obligation. Mosquitoes used to be so thick that they would actually block all airflow through the screened windows and doors. Sanibel used to be mostly farm land until a couple of hurricanes inundated the island and the salt water ruined the soil for farming.

One thing you can't help but think of driving around and looking at the island now, is that sooner or later some hurricane is surely going to destroy a lot of very expensive homes.
Unread 07-16-2017, 03:40 PM   #5
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Honestly, Sanibel is a nice place to visit, but I don't think I would want to live there. We were actually looking over real estate guides while we were there, and I get the impression that the deed restrictions would really get on my nerves. I read an article about someone wanting to make a minor change to their dock, and the number of hoops they were required to jump through was ridiculous.

We did pick up some books on the history of the island, and that is all pretty interesting. At one time land was just given away there, with the requirement that the new owners had to live and work the land for at least 5 years to be able to retain ownership. Life was pretty harsh, so many people could not fulfill that obligation. Mosquitoes used to be so thick that they would actually block all airflow through the screened windows and doors. Sanibel used to be mostly farm land until a couple of hurricanes inundated the island and the salt water ruined the soil for farming.

One thing you can't help but think of driving around and looking at the island now, is that sooner or later some hurricane is surely going to destroy a lot of very expensive homes.
I am sure one day a cane will take out the area. Charlie was so small with the core winds only out about 40 miles from the center. 1921 was the last time Tampa saw a true storm make landfall.
CHASZ51 is online now   Reply With Quote