The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 08-30-2017, 06:03 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Wakulla County FL, cornsnake

Connie spotted this guy sitting among the "emergency" rain water jugs (I need them for the insectivorous plants when it gets dry around here), apparently enjoying the coolness the water in the jugs provides for him on a hot August afternoon. This location is out in back of the garage.

After taking his pic, I put the jug back for him, and he didn't really get spooked by me.
Unread 08-30-2017, 07:05 PM   #2
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

I have seen a few over the years. 90% of what i see is black snakes.
CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2017, 07:41 PM   #3
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

THAT, is a very pretty snake! What does one of those prefer to eat? I expect that it'll eat just about anything if it's hungry enuf, but what would you expect it's normal diet to consist of? Any guess as to the length of that one?
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2017, 08:40 PM   #4
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy2kcoupe View Post
THAT, is a very pretty snake! What does one of those prefer to eat? I expect that it'll eat just about anything if it's hungry enuf, but what would you expect it's normal diet to consist of? Any guess as to the length of that one?
Andy
Well they are from the family of snakes commonly referred to as "rat" snakes, so that can give you an idea. They will also feed on small birds and their eggs.

Of course, when they are small like this, they normally feed on lizards (which Connie doesn't like to think about). I would imagine they are terrors on the little moles, since they can be found actually in the burrows of moles. He actually looks a bit on the scrawny side, so I don't think he's had much luck finding a meal lately. Being scrawny, he was probably longer than he looks, maybe in the 24 to 28 inch range. I'm guessing he might be 2 to 3 years old, but snakes will grow in direct proportion to the amount of food they can find. In lean times, they will grow rather slowly.

These corn snakes (or red rat snakes) are what I used to work with when I had my SerpenCo business. Of course, I had all kinds of genetic variations, with colors and patterns completely changing the way they looked. Used to be a fun time at egg hatching time seeing what new that the world had never seen before was hatching out. One year I produce around 8,000 baby corn snakes. Now THAT was a rough year trying to take care of that many babies. Never wanted to do that again, I'll tell you.

This is the first corn snake we have seen around here in a while. Lots of black racers, however, which I don't particularly like. And a coachwhip every now and again. Coachwhips are a lot like black racers, but for some reason they just strike me as being much more personable and tolerable to have around. And of course there are always the gray rat snakes that show up in or around the bird feeders.

Haven't seen any diamondback rattlesnakes in a good long while. Also have seen coral snakes here every now and again, but not much lately. I would have thought all the rain we have had would have chased the coral snakes out of the ground, because that is where they are normally found except at night and during heavy rains.
Unread 08-31-2017, 08:01 PM   #5
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

Nice info, Rich! Thanks!
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2017, 12:50 PM   #6
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

Just found one of these in my back yard. Talk about new born.

May have to blow up the pic to see it.
Unread 09-02-2017, 05:28 PM   #7
Rich Z

Yeah, kind of hard to tell, but looks like a baby black racer to me. They are strongly patterned as babies, but lose it as they get some size on them till they are completely black with a white chin.
Unread 09-02-2017, 05:55 PM   #8
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

Looks like a baby corn snake. But what do i know. Like i said, 90% of what i see is black snakes. Once in a while i have seen a corn and yellow rat snakes.
Unread 09-02-2017, 08:11 PM   #9
Rich Z

Well it is always possible that a snake of any species can have a genetic aberration of color, pattern, or both, which can make identification from a photograph difficult. But honestly I have seen a fair share of baby black rat snakes, and certainly tens of thousands of baby corn snakes over the 30 years I bred them.

The first image is of a typical baby black racer.

The second is of a typical baby corn snake.
Attached Images

Unread 09-03-2017, 10:18 AM   #10
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Well it is always possible that a snake of any species can have a genetic aberration of color, pattern, or both, which can make identification from a photograph difficult. But honestly I have seen a fair share of baby black rat snakes, and certainly tens of thousands of baby corn snakes over the 30 years I bred them.

The first image is of a typical baby black racer.

The second is of a typical baby corn snake.
Then i guess it was a black snake.