The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Firearms and Other Weapons

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Firearms and Other Weapons Had a request for this forum, so here it is. Guess it will give me some place to talk about guns myself after selling my ArmsLocker forum.

View Poll Results: What is your "General Impression" of LEO
They are usually pretty fair 16 84.21%
Most are corrupt & show favoritism to other LEO 3 15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 02-13-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
jpee
jpee

Name :
jpee has disabled reputation
Default Your Impression of LEO

I'm having a "debate" with another forum member as to the general opinion of LEO in general.. please post...
jpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

I think most are very fair.......at least they have been to me! If you choose to be an A-Hole, then you will reap the benefits of that decision ! Be nice to the LEO, and they will usually treat you in a pleasant manner. There are, of course, exceptions on BOTH sides of the badge. Personally, I wouldn't want that job........
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 07:41 PM   #3
Bob K
Deceased

Name : Bob Korreck
Bob K has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpee View Post
I'm having a "debate" with another forum member as to the general opinion of LEO in general.. please post...
I have no problems with LEO's and actually enjoy their company. I had wanted to join the Michigan State Police when I was a young guy but got talked out of it and I regret my decision.

I don't know a lot about what goes on with you guys pertaining to the job but I have several friends that are LEO's. They're not cowboys and in fact are very different than some people think. Ol buddy.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 07:43 PM   #4
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

I think the REAL debate you are referring to is whether LEO's should be exempt from the law because of some sort of professional "courtesy". In other words, if a LEO is caught violating the law, should they get a pass card whereby a private citizen getting caught doing the same thing wouldn't likely get that pass?

So I think your poll is pretty misleading and deficient in details concerning what the actual issue was being addressed in that other thread.

Here is what we were REALLY discussing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
So you are stating that it is perfectly OK for LEOs to treat non-LEOs differently from LEOs in the performance of their duties? That the laws being broken by LEOs should be treated differently than the same laws being broken by regular citizens? In effect, "do as we tell you to do, not as WE can get away with."?

And you wonder why LEOs have issues with the publics perceptions of them?
YES !! Its called a "PERK" of the job!! And I have no problem of the publics perception of me when I was "On the job"

I'm not to familiar on how to work this forum, but if you or maybe Bob can post a "Poll" we'll see what most think of LEO either + or - ...

If you can please start a poll...
Unread 02-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
C6Flatfoot

Name :
C6Flatfoot has disabled reputation
Default LEO impression

Almost all LEO's are my favorite people on this planet along with teachers, medical personnel, firefighters, and members of our military.

A few bad eggs do fall through the cracks here and there and they are usually weeded out pretty quickly.

Think for a minute what our society would be like without them!
C6Flatfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
Bob K
Deceased

I know this appears like I'm supporting Jpee out of friendship but that would be far from true. Here's the issue:

"And you wonder why LEOs have issues with the publics perceptions of them?"

I think this is the reason Jpee created the pole.
Unread 02-14-2011, 01:14 AM   #7
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

I couldn't make the poll sound comprehensive enough to cover the thoughts I wanted to present in a single poll, so I broke it up into two parts.

http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forum...ad.php?t=55649
http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forum...ad.php?t=55650

They should be concise enough, yet self explanatory in nature.
Unread 02-14-2011, 04:23 AM   #8
ClockworkC5
droog

Name :
ClockworkC5 is on a distinguished road

there should be a few more options, not just good cop, bad cop. ive been pulled over by complete a holes, as well as some pretty cool cops. ive had a few ask about my car and mods, and ive had others tear through my entire car for no reason throwing all my stuff onto the side of the road, looking for. . .whatever they were looking for. cant really put into 2 catergories. what would be good is for the leos on this site to give some pointers as to what to do and what to say when you do get pulled over.
160 hypertech stat
taylor thundervolt wires
tb coolant bypass
slp short tube headers
borla quad stingers
anti-venom/tampa tune
cross drilled and slotted rotors
ClockworkC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 09:24 AM   #9
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road

Just a couple of short points if I may.

1) Having spent my entire career in Law Enforcement for a good sized agency and having interaction with many agencies all across the country I have NEVER met a corrupt LEO. Have officers,deputies/troopers made mistakes that cost them their jobs or careers? Yes they have.

2) Professional curtesy to other officers is not a given. I remember giving a ticket to an NYPD because an attitude about being exempt or above the law. It was his attitude that got him the ticket (just as with anyone I ever stopped). I was never a "big on traffic unit" but if faced with an obvious infraction I would work them as necessary and with all the curtesy I was allowed by the driver.

3) Have I ever shown professional curtesy to another officer, yes. We walked in the same dangerous shoes and pursued through the same dangerous streets and gone through the same dangerous doors after people who would take our life with no concern for us or our families.

4) What you say about attitude of officers is a bit misguided. Most (not all) are truly super people. Take them out of uniform and get to know them and you'll probably like what you find. Don't misunderstand what I'm saying. Were their LEO's I didn't care for, yes. Were their ego's, yes. Just don't use too broad of a brush.

Just my observations.
Unread 02-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #10
Bob K
Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockworkC5 View Post
what would be good is for the leos on this site to give some pointers as to what to do and what to say when you do get pulled over.
I can do that, I'm an expert. I'm not a LEO but:

1. Be respectful, they're doing a job
2. No BS. You know damn well you're guilty and have earned the ticket.
3. I'm outgoing so I always engage them in conversation and I think they
know I support them.

These 3 tips have gotten me out of countless tickets and if they had written me up my view of them would be the same. I have been pulled over maybe 5 times in the last 10 yrs and only once was ticketed and that cop gave me a huge break when he wrote it. He could have taken me to jail in CT for driving 100 MPH but he reduced it to 80.