The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Classifieds and Commercial Sponsors > Board of Inquiry®

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Board of Inquiry® Got a problem with someone you had a dealing with? Can't get it resolved and no other recourse presents itself? Had an especially good transaction with someone? Looking for info on a dealer?

Unread 02-04-2008, 03:45 PM   #1
Formula Outlaw
65' 2 owner car

Name :
Formula Outlaw has disabled reputation
Default Motor Work Gone South

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw View Post
Sarasota / Mid West Coast Florida

Corvettes West / Tommy Moller - Owner
6175 Clark Center Ave.
Sarasota, FL. 34238
941-922-2300
941-922-2448 fax
www.corvetteswestinc.com

Full service facility. All models of Corvettes, particularly Midyears, and other high end autos. Excellent Paint and Engine Work.

Visit their website.

Tell him I sent you and get charged 25% more....

He's the only one that touches my car....known him for 32 years....would trust him with my bank account.

There may be a VERY serious reason that I, regretfully, may have to retract this referral. I want to give him a chance to make things right. If this does not happen I will elaborate complete with pictures. Hopefully, Tommy will make things right.

This is my "wrong" camshaft after less than 500 miles.
Attached Images

65' - originally L76 - now full roller motor - est. 128 rear wheel horsepower- 4.11 Posi - original parts mothballed / 1,657 coats of wax, AND the clock works...
Formula Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2008, 04:29 PM   #2
Formula Outlaw
65' 2 owner car

Name :

Well it's been eleven days now and no reply from Corvettes West. I guess I'm being ignored......

65' - originally L76 - now full roller motor - est. 128 rear wheel horsepower- 4.11 Posi - original parts mothballed / 1,657 coats of wax, AND the clock works...
Unread 02-06-2008, 08:00 PM   #3
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

That is some nasty wear on those cam lobes. I hope you get things cleared up, Soon.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2008, 05:13 PM   #4
63GSreplica

Name :
63GSreplica has disabled reputation

Quote:
Well it's been eleven days now and no reply from Corvettes West. I guess I'm being ignored......
I consider the Corvettes West crew good friends. Normally I prefer to get along with everyone, so for the time being I'll be polite, but maybe you should tell the "whole" story.
63GSreplica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2008, 07:13 PM   #5
63GSreplica

Name :

Well it's been eleven days now and no reply, I guess I'm being ignored......

Now, I'm not opposed to calling a shop on lousy work, if I get bad service or work I'll be sure to let them know right away to give them the chance to make things right, if that doesn't happen then I'll take another route. But, I've known Tommy, Roger and Keith since '97 when I bought my first Corvette, they have been nothing but great to deal with and have gone out of their way to take care of my 81 and 63. Tommy actually lent me the shop engine hoist along with HIS truck to move it and came to my house after closing to help drop a motor into my 81, so I know they like to make things right.

So, let's take a look shall we......

On 06-17-2006, 03:13 AM Corvettes West gets a glowing review.

Then on 02-04-2008, 11:45 PM there's a "VERY serious reason that I, regretfully, may have to retract this referral."

A post on 02-05-2008, 12:21 AM and another on 02-07-2008, 12:29 AM, then nothing. By the way, Last Activity: 02-14-2008 12:28 AM

4 posts and 12 days later I guess it's time to make another post.

If I owned a shop, did work on someone's car in good faith and was paid with a rubber check for a couple thousand bucks then was ignored by the check writer/customer for well over a year I would have them prosecuted to the FULL extent possible. If it was possible I would also put a lien on the car that was worked on. I'm a really easy going person, but if someone screws me I believe in dishing out instant karma. That's the nice version since there might be kids viewing and I read a post here about swearing.

Now back to your regularly scheduled broadcast......
Unread 03-16-2008, 06:18 PM   #6
Formula Outlaw
65' 2 owner car

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63GSreplica View Post
Well it's been eleven days now and no reply, I guess I'm being ignored......

Now, I'm not opposed to calling a shop on lousy work, if I get bad service or work I'll be sure to let them know right away to give them the chance to make things right, if that doesn't happen then I'll take another route. But, I've known Tommy, Roger and Keith since '97 when I bought my first Corvette, they have been nothing but great to deal with and have gone out of their way to take care of my 81 and 63. Tommy actually lent me the shop engine hoist along with HIS truck to move it and came to my house after closing to help drop a motor into my 81, so I know they like to make things right.

So, let's take a look shall we......

On 06-17-2006, 03:13 AM Corvettes West gets a glowing review.

Then on 02-04-2008, 11:45 PM there's a "VERY serious reason that I, regretfully, may have to retract this referral."

A post on 02-05-2008, 12:21 AM and another on 02-07-2008, 12:29 AM, then nothing. By the way, Last Activity: 02-14-2008 12:28 AM

4 posts and 12 days later I guess it's time to make another post.

If I owned a shop, did work on someone's car in good faith and was paid with a rubber check for a couple thousand bucks then was ignored by the check writer/customer for well over a year I would have them prosecuted to the FULL extent possible. If it was possible I would also put a lien on the car that was worked on. I'm a really easy going person, but if someone screws me I believe in dishing out instant karma. That's the nice version since there might be kids viewing and I read a post here about swearing.

Now back to your regularly scheduled broadcast......

A FULL story will be posted in the Board of Inquiry section complete with photos. I've known Tommy since 1975 when he moved here from New York, and I don't blame Tommy for my motor problems cause he was at a family reunion in SC at the time. Up until this incident I had only praise from him.

But allow me to address a couple of issues you brought up....

In Jan of 07' I was in a near fatal car crash and took over ten months to recover from.

I had written Corvettes West a check for a little over a grand which was the final payment on the motor work done. My seperated wife got her backside in a sling with the IRS and because we were still legally married, the IRS froze my bank account on which that check was written. After two meetings with the IRS they agreed to unfreeze my bank account. There was enough money in the account to cover Tommy's check along with two others. Then I was in the accident. For three months I was in a hospital/trauma center and had no communication with anyone from the outside world. The bank, not hearing from me, took the money out of my account, closing it, to apply to the VISA card balance I owed. I had left a message with Corvettes West that the bank account had become unfrozen but apparently the check was not deposited in time. I did what I could to let Tommy know to deposit the check, why he didn't I don't know. Had he done so when I notified him he would have gotten his money. Why he procrastinated only he knows. I did NOT write him a rubber check. I will fully admit that after everything, I just figure I saved myself some money rather than simply just throwing it away, like the first two thirds of that work. I love people like yourself who just mouth off without knowing the facts. I can appreciate coming to someone's defense, I'm usually the first to do so, but I know my facts first, something you need to work on.

Tommy sent me an email which I will post on the board of inquiry along with the photos of my parts. After about nine paragraphs of gobblity goop of trying to pass the buck, HE NEVER EVER ADDRESSED THE ISSUE, NOT ONE SINGLE WORD, OF WHY A ROLLER CAM WAS NOT INSTALLED IN MY MOTOR WHEN IT WAS REQUIRED. NOT A SINGLE WORD.

Now I've had three different mechanics, who build engines for NASCAR, tell me the reason, AND THE ONLY REASON, my engine went south was the failure to install a roller cam with the roller lifters. Tommy had nothing to say. Again, only he knows why.

In my communications with Tommy, I never got mad, I only asked a question that was never answered. As I said previously, I'm not as mad as I am disappointed.

And that is the real story.

So the next time you're talking with Tommy, ask him why he didn't install a roller cam in my car when it was required. If you get the answer, do me a favor and let me know would you? Thanks.

Unread 03-16-2008, 07:09 PM   #7
Formula Outlaw
65' 2 owner car

Name :
Default Motor Work Gone South

In Sept. of 06 I developed a slightling seeping head gasket in my 65 Vette. As usual I took it to Corvettes West in Sarasota, who had not only done all of the previous work (to which I was always more than satisified) but I'd also known Tommy since he had moved to Sarasota from NY in 1975. Considered him a good friend.

While the heads were off he suggested that we install roller lifters and rockers for better, and smoother, performance. Anything to make it run better to me is like the holy grail so of course I agreed.

Tommy was nice enough to let me pay the car in three installments. And here I fully admit it gets a bit sticky. I wrote him the final check and asked him to hold it because the IRS had frozen my bank account because my seperated but still legally married to "wife", had gotten her backside in a sling over taxes she'd owed previously to knowing me. Because she was still legally married to me, the IRS froze my account also covering their backside. After two meetings with the IRS they finally agreed to unfreeze my account. I notified Corvettes West that it was okay to deposit the check and left for TN helping my brother move up here. Unfortunately I was involved in a near fatal crash and took ten months to recover from. During the first three months I had no contact with anyone. The bank, not hearing from me, took the money out of my account to apply toward a VISA card they had issued me. They had no idea where I was so they covered their backside. For reasons known only to Corvettes West, the check was never deposited. Apparently sometime last summer Tommy tried only to be told the account had been closed leaving him holding the check. Under different circumstances I would certainly pay him that check. Under different circumstances that is. Now this may not be right, but at the moment I feel that is just more money I ultimately did not just throw away.

For whatever reason, Corvettes West did not install a roller cam in my motor when they installed the roller lifters/rockers, which is REQUIRED. A regular cam will just "slap" at the roller lifters and destroy the lobe tips, which is exactly what happened. Because of my injuries, I put less than five hundred miles on my car before the motor self destructed. The only good thing is I didn't put a rod through the side of the block. I had three different mechanics up here, all who build engines for NASCAR, tell me that the ONLY REASON MY MOTOR WENT SOUTH WAS THE FAILURE TO INSTALL A ROLLER CAM WITH THE ROLLER LIFTERS. One even stated that any mechanice who could draw a paycheck two weeks in a row would know better.

I communicated with Tommy about this issue. I never got mad, I just asked why wasn't a roller cam installed? I finally got an email back from him passing the buck in about every way one could think of, but he NEVER EVER ADDRESSED THE ISSUE OF WHY A ROLLER CAM WAS NOT INSTALLED IN MY MOTOR. NOT ONE SINGLE WORD. He accused me of driving the car over five hundred miles, he said my motor was "old and I'd only wanted a temporary fix" (okay so think about this for a second, I've got a seeping head gasket and I only want it "temporarily fixed"???? Does that even sound close to reasonable????) He emailed me about nine paragraphs about gobbility goop and threatened to post the check that never cleared if I "badmouthed" him. Why he procrastinated on depositing that check after notified it was okay to do so only he knows. But for the sake of "full disclosure" I wanted that check on the record.

They say a picture says a thousand words. Well, you look at the pictures and judge for yourself.

And I'm not "badmouthing" anyone here. I'm only relaying to anyone who might be interested as to what happened to me. Each of you will come to your own conclusions.

I wish more than anything that Tommy would have had the "sack" to just apologize for the problems, but I didn't even get that. I would have thought that after knowing someone for 33 years, I would have at least gotten that.

Anyone who wants further evidence can contact Corey (service manager)at Classic Cars Southeast, 615-449-4300 or Erik at 615-688-4844. I'm sure they would be more than happy to verify my account of the damage and cause of my motor.

More than anything I regret the loss of a friendship.
Attached Images

Unread 03-16-2008, 07:17 PM   #8
Formula Outlaw
65' 2 owner car

Name :

More pix.
Attached Images

Unread 03-16-2008, 07:24 PM   #9
Formula Outlaw
65' 2 owner car

Name :

Forgot to mention but you can probably guess for yourself....

The metal "filings, etc" that came off the cam lobes got into just about everything, which is now why my motor is torn down completely.

I guess that's just life.....

Unread 03-24-2008, 03:58 PM   #10
63GSreplica

Name :

Quote:
I love people like yourself who just mouth off without knowing the facts. I can appreciate coming to someone's defense, I'm usually the first to do so, but I know my facts first, something you need to work on.
I love it when people post about how a vendor did them wrong WITHOUT first posting their version of the story, I guess it's my fault for not flying in from Iraq to break into your house to look over your financial records and interrogate you so I can GET THE FACTS before shooting off my mouth. I posted what I knew of the situation, don't like it, tough crap. Here's a clue, this is the internet and it goes all over the world, if you aren't adult enough or smart enough to put your facts out there then prepare to get your feelings hurt. If a vendor did something to me that I thought was wrong, I would do everything possible to resolve the problem like an adult FIRST before I made a half-assed post on the internet.

I can understand people have problems, stuff happens that you have no control over, perfectly understandable. But by your own admission you've had time for "three different mechanics, who build engines for NASCAR" to check out your motor, but you can't get on the phone or better yet just drop in and talk to Tommy. Well, like you said, "I will fully admit that after everything, I just figure I saved myself some money rather than simply just throwing it away, like the first two thirds of that work."

All I can say is suck it up and quit whining about it or go be a man and talk to Tommy face to face and resolve the problem.