The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Tech and How-To Articles

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Tech and How-To Articles This is an RSS feed from Corvette Fever's website to bring in links to tech articles and How To writeups.

Unread 11-17-2008, 06:27 PM   #1
grumpyvette
retired mech engineer

Name :
grumpyvette has disabled reputation
Default bits of nitrous info

generally , once you exceed about 125-140 hp shot of nitrous in a sbc youll want to have several factors in your favor, and a used engine with over about 50,000 miles is unlikely to be in excellent internal shape, as far as bearings go!
first youll want to use a WET NITROUS SYSTEM because its EXTREMELY UNLIKELY that a stock injector, or the CPU controling its flow, can keep up with the demands of a DRY FLOW NITROUS SYSTEM or that the CPU can even begin to keep up with demand under load, youll burn pistons in many cases with a dry system that won,t phase a wet system design
next
youll want A FORGED ROTATING ASSEMBLY IF your over about a 125 hp on the nitrous, system AND A CAM DESIGNED FOR NITROUS to get the most from the cylinder pressure
third
youll want the bearings to be clearanced correctly and be in good condition
fourth
its adviseable to have a high voluum oil flow system to keep heat on the rings,bearings,and pistons within reasonable limits under load, this means a high voluum pump, baffled oil pan of about 7qts and a windage screen
fifth
you stock ring gap is not likely to work without the rings locking in the block under high heat and loads nitrous produces at over 125 hp loads

a restrictive exhaust will hurt your potential performance

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/...495&p=613#p613

heres things to read

]from Nitrous Express

Most Commonly Asked Questions -
Q. How does nitrous oxide create more horsepower?
A. Nitrous oxide provides the oxygen that allows an engine to burn more fuel, more burned fuel equals more power.

Q. What is the difference between a wet and a dry system?
A. A "Wet" system introduces a homogenous mixture of nitrous and atomized fuel into the incoming air stream, thus providing a perfect air/fuel ratio for each.

Q. Can I still run my car all-motor with nitrous installed?
A. Of course, the nitrous system only affects performance when it is being used.

Q. How can nitrous blow my engine up?
A. Nitrous in and of itself cannot "blowup" an engine. Nitrous kits of poor design, poor quality, and improper air/fuel ratios damage engines.

Q. What is nitrous backfire?
A. Nitrous backfires can be caused by two situations. 1. A nitrous system that is two rich or a system that atomizes the fuel poorly, thus causing pooling or puddling of fuel in the intake manifold. 2. A system that is operated too lean.

Q. What is meant by 30, 50, 100, 150, and 200 shots?
A. "Shot" is commonly used slang in the nitrous community to refer to the amount of horsepower increase provided by the nitrous system.

Q. How long can I squeeze nitrous in my engine?
A. With an NX system the only limitation is the capacity of the N2O bottle or the RPM limit of the engine.

Q. When is the best time to use nitrous?
A. When you want to go fast.

Q. How can a nitrous system be activated (a "happy button," automatically, or what)?
A. All NX systems come standard with wide-open throttle switches, however we offer an electronic TPS switch as well as a push button.

Q. What is the safest way to configure nitrous activation?
A. The only safe way is to use a wide open throttle switch, however you may configure any number of ways to "trip" the system but all must be used in conjunction with some type of wide open throttle switch.

Q. Is a bottle heater good?
A. A quality bottle heater is essential to proper nitrous system performance.

Q. Can I vary the amount of nitrous injected when I want?
A. Yes, by utilizing NX's digital progressive controller, the "Maximizer". This devise allows the user to precisely control the amount of nitrous delivered to his engine from the comfort of the drivers seat.

Q. Can I install a nitrous system on my car if there is no kit available?
A. NX has a system for every car manufactured in the world today.

Q. How much of a horsepower increase can I expect from a nitrous system?
A. All NX systems make within 2% of their claimed horsepower, if you jet the system for 50 horsepower then you can expect no less than 49 horsepower, but usually a few more than the rated amount.

Q. How long will a bottle of nitrous last?
A. That depends on the level of power being produced. The formula for calculating your nitrous usage is: 0.8 lbs N2O X 10 seconds = 100 horsepower. I.E. If your system is jetted for 100 horsepower it will use 0.8 lbs of nitrous for every 10 seconds of usage.

Q. How much does it cost to get nitrous refills?
A. The cost of nitrous oxide varies with the region of the country, however a general estimate would be between $3.50-5.00 per pound.

Q. Are there nitrous systems available for late model imports?
A. NX makes a system for every car manufactured today.

Q. What comes with a nitrous kit?
A. Most NX systems come complete with a 10 lb nitrous bottle, stainless steel bottle brackets, 16 ft aircraft style supply line, N2O filter, lifetime warranty nitrous and fuel solenoids with mounts, all standard jet settings, an NX patented Shark nozzle (nozzles), or a patented carbureted plate, wide open throttle switch, a complete installation pack that includes all bolts, nuts, washers, wire, wire terminals, lighted arming switch, and complete instructions with pictures.

Q. Will I need anything else to install the kit properly?

A. To complete the installation a Gen-X package should be ordered with the system. This includes the bottle heater, liquid filled nitrous pressure gauge, low fuel pressure safety switch, and a external bottle vent fitting and plumbing kit.

Q. Can I hide my nitrous system from a novice tuner?
A. Yes, it is quite easy to hide an NX system from the casual observer.

Q. Can I use nitrous on my turbo or supercharged vehicle?
A. Yes, NX specializes in turbo-supercharged nitrous applications.

Q. What are some general rules for creating the most horsepower without damaging anything?
A. Generally speaking the amount of power that can be created with nitrous is almost limitless. To avoid a catastrophe, the internal components of the engine must match the amount of power that is going to be generated. The use of proper air/fuel ratios is essential and the quality of the nitrous system is paramount.

Q. Is a nitrous system worth the money (horsepower per dollar wise)?
A. No other devise in the world offers such a bargain as nitrous oxide.

Q. Why doesn't everyone use nitrous?
A. Nitrous is not for everyone, some people prefer turbos, some like blowers, and others feel it is cheating to use nitrous.

Q. Why does nitrous have such a scary reputation?
A. There has been some very shoddy nitrous "kits" sold to unsuspecting customers over the last 20 years; this along with the abuse nitrous has suffered from "idiots" who damage their own engines.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technical Questions -

Q. How does a nitrous system operate on a fuel-injected vehicle?
A. The NX system is a complete stand-alone air/fuel delivery system that augments the standard factory EFI unit. It provides additional fuel and oxygen to the cylinders via the patented "Shark" nozzle mounted in the intake tract to provide additional horsepower.

Q. How does a nitrous system operate on a carbureted vehicle?
A. The most common method of boosting power on carbureted applications is the use of a "plate" sandwiched between the carb and the intake manifold. This plate contains orificed tubes that deliver the nitrous/fuel mixture in precise ratios.

Q. How easy is it to install a basic wet nitrous system?
A. The NX "Stage One" EFI System is very straightforward. It requires no engine disassembly, no fuel system modifications or timing retards. Simply install the "Shark" nozzle in the intake tract approximately 2-6 inches in front of the throttle body and connect the fuel solenoid to the high-pressure side of the injection rail and your ready to go.

Q. Purge valves look cool, should I get one for my nitrous vehicle?
A. A purge valve is a valuable tool for increased nitrous performance. It allows the user to "Purge" all gaseous nitrous from the bottle supply line prior to using the system. This allows for a harder "Hit" from the system thus increasing performance.

Q. [b\ What safety features come with a nitrous system?[/b]
A. There are several safety related devises that can be used with a modern nitrous system. The first, and most important is the wide-open throttle switch. This prevents the user from accidentally engaging the system. A special high flow nitrous filter is furnished with every NX street system. All hoses are aircraft quality stainless steel braided, Teflon. All NX systems come with the highest quality, made in the USA, stainless steel solenoids.

Q. [/b] How does the solenoid know when to open and release the nitrous oxide? [/b]
A. All NX systems are furnished with Wide Open Throttle switches. This switch signals the solenoids to open when the motor reaches wide-open throttle.

Q. What are the differences between a dry nozzle and a wet nozzle?
A. The "dry" system uses the factory fuel injection to enrich the nitrous introduced into the engine. The flaw with this technology is that no matter how much nitrous arrives at a certain intake port it always gets the same preset amount of fuel, or if a fuel injector becomes clogged engine damage will result. The "Wet" technology introduces a precise amount of fuel and nitrous through a high tech mixing nozzle that atomizes the fuel to microscopic proportions. This allows every cylinder to receive a precise, homogenous mixture of fuel and nitrous, thus insuring a safe, powerful increase.

Q. What is nitrous backfire?
A. Nitrous backfires can be caused by two situations. 1. A nitrous system that is two rich or a system that atomizes the fuel poorly, thus causing pooling or puddling of fuel in the intake manifold. 2. A system that is operated too lean.

Q. Should I use an aftermarket ignition with nitrous?
A. All NX Street or Stage One systems are designed to operate with stock ignition; however any upgrade in the stock ignition is a definite plus.

Q. Should I change my ignition system in any way (timing, plugs, etc.)?
A. All NX Stage One or Street systems are designed to operate with no timing retard. Spark plugs should be changed to non-platinum style, 1 to 2 steps colder than stock.

Q. Will a bigger bottle give you more horsepower?
A. No; however a larger capacity bottle will provide a more stable bottle pressure resulting in a lower E.T. and a higher M.P.H.

Q. What is the difference between a 1 stage and a 2 stage system?
A. A single stage system refers to one single nitrous system; a 2 stage or dual stage incorporates two nitrous systems on one application. This allows a car to launch with the maximum horsepower possible, with the traction available, then add more power down track as the car can handle it.

Q. Why does my engine need more fuel while on the bottle?
A. The fuel, or gasoline, is the source of the additional horsepower. The nitrous' job is to provide the oxygen to allow the fuel to be burned.

Q. How can my engine get more fuel while on the bottle?
A. All NX systems add additional fuel during nitrous usage by injecting it directly with the nitrous through their patented "Shark" nozzle. This method assures 100% atomization of the fuel and accurate air/fuel ratios.

Q. What is the safest way to configure nitrous activation?
A. The only safe way is to use a wide open throttle switch, however you may configure any number of ways to "trip" the system but all must be used in conjunction with some type of wide open throttle switch.

Q. Is a bottle heater good?
A. A quality bottle heater is essential to proper nitrous system performance.

Q. How much pressure should be in my bottle?
A. All NX systems are designed to operate between 900-1050 PSI.

Q. What accessories are available for a nitrous system?
A. NX has over one hundred accessory part numbers, ranging from digital progressive controllers to space age bottle insulating jackets.

Q. Can I vary the amount of nitrous injected when I want?
A. Yes, by utilizing NX's digital progressive controller, the "Maximizer". This devise allows the user to precisely control the amount of nitrous delivered to his engine from the comfort of the drivers seat.

Q. Do you have an installation manual online so I can see if I want to install a kit on my car?
A. Yes.

Q. How does a nitrous system know when I'm at wide-open throttle?
A. All NX systems are equipped with wide-open throttle micro switches, or an optional electronic TPS switch is available.

Q. How much of a horsepower increase can I expect from a nitrous system?
A. All NX systems make within 2% of their claimed horsepower, if you jet the system for 50 horsepower then you can expect no less than 49 horsepower, but usually a few more than the rated amount.

Q. Are there any dangers or things to stay away from while using nitrous?
A. Of course, NX recommends that no more than an additional 20 horsepower per cylinder be used on a stock engine, with a stock fuel pump. Always be sure you are using clean, uncontaminated nitrous. Also, be sure you have the highest octane fuel available, I.E. 93 octane premium for, stock compression, street cars and the highest motor octane fuel available for competition type vehicles.

Q. Is there a trade off for engine reliability and power produced with nitrous?
A. When used according to factory recommendations, shortened engine life should not be a concern.

Q. Can you feed an engine too much nitrous even if you keep the air/fuel ratio the same?
A. Yes, if the mechanical limits of the engine are exceeded catastrophic engine failure will result.

Q. Are there nitrous systems available for late model imports?
A. NX makes a system for every car manufactured today.

Q. What comes with a nitrous kit?
A. Most NX systems come complete with a 10 lb nitrous bottle, stainless steel bottle brackets, 16 ft aircraft style supply line, N2O filter, lifetime warranty nitrous and fuel solenoids with mounts, all standard jet settings, an NX patented Shark nozzle (nozzles), or a patented carbureted plate, wide open throttle switch, a complete installation pack that includes all bolts, nuts, washers, wire, wire terminals, lighted arming switch, and complete instructions with pictures.

Q. Can I use a nitrous kit on an automatic?
A. Yes, the preferred application, for nitrous, is an automatic transmission equipped vehicle.

Q. Can you powerbrake an automatic with nitrous without it blowing up?
A. The answer is a qualified, yes. If your brakes can hold your engine, at full throttle, with the nitrous on, the answer is yes, but it is doubtful this would be possible.

Q. Can a nitrous system be set up to shut down once the brake is depressed?
A. Yes, if the user wires his system with a double throw-double pole relay placed between the arming switch and the wide open throttle switch that is activated when the brakes are applied.

Q. Can nitrous systems be used with aftermarket chips or ECU's?
A. Yes, however close attention must be paid to excessive timing advance that could cause detonation.

Q. Are drag racing launch techniques any different with nitrous for AT or MT's?
A. Depending on the traction available the launch techniques are the same, however with the increased torque and horsepower generated by nitrous usage, sometimes is necessary to delay the nitrous onset for a brief period.

Q. How high must the RPM's before activating nitrous?
A. The RPM level is not as important as is the motors ability to rev freely when the nitrous is engaged, I.E. If the vehicle is in low gear, nitrous can be engaged at any time, but if the vehicle is in a higher gear moving at a slow speed when the nitrous is engaged the engine will detonate and damage will occur.

Q. Does nitrous increase cylinder temperatures and combustion chamber pressure?
A. No, cylinder temperatures should stay the same when the correct nitrous air/fuel ratio is used. Yes, increased cylinder pressure equals increased horsepower.

Q. Can I use nitrous on my high compression engine?
A. Yes, but the proper octane fuel must be used to prevent detonation.

Q. What are some general rules for creating the most horsepower without damaging anything?
A. Generally speaking the amount of power that can be created with nitrous is almost limitless. To avoid a catastrophe, the internal components of the engine must match the amount of power that is going to be generated. The use of proper air/fuel ratios is essential and the quality of the nitrous system is paramount.

Q. What if the pressure is too high, should I cool it?
A. If the bottle pressure is in excess of 1100 PSI the bottle should be cooled using a wet towel or chamois.

Q. Is there any harm that can be done to my engine if I use nitrous while the bottle pressure is too high?
A. Yes, the nitrous system will run "lean" if the nitrous pressure is high beyond specification. This could cause severe engine damage.

Q. Where should I run the main nitrous feed line?
A. The feed line can be run either under the car of through the passenger compartment. Care should be taken to route the line away from any voltage points or moving suspension parts.

Q. Where should I install my bottle?
A. The ideal place to mount the bottle is in the trunk; however if your car is a hatchback it is permissible to mount it in the passenger compartment if an external pressure relief vent is properly installed on the bottle.

Q. What if my bottle leaks while I'm driving, could I get busted for OWI?
A. To become, "intoxicated", the nitrous leak would have to be severe and noticeable. No excuses to be found here!

Q. Is a nitrous system worth the money (horsepower per dollar wise)?
A. No other devise in the world offers such a bargain as nitrous oxide.

heres more info
A Word On Fuel Pressure
Fuel pressure regulators should be set to a flowing fuel pressure or false readings may be obtained. To set flowing fuel pressure on the vehicle, use a test jet flowing fuel into a container to find what size test jet should be used when flowing multi-nozzle systems. Use the following formula:
Jet size2 x number of nozzles (per fuel solenoid).
Then take the square root of this number.
This is the Test Jet in thousands of an inch.

Example:
Eight #32 Fuel Jets are equal to one 91 Jet
32 x 32 = 1024 x 8 Jets = 8192
The square root of this number is 90.509...

This procedure cannot guarantee a steady fuel pressure during a run. As G-forces and cell placement will affect the fuel pump's load. Which cannot be easily duplicated in the pits.

NOTE: Systems using multiple stages and/or H.P. levels over 400 H.P. will benefit from a super Hi-Flo bottle valve (PT.# 16139) and/or a large bottle (15 or 20lb.) Due to a lower pressure drop during a run. This valve also allows pressure readings with a closed bottle valve; via one of the valve's built-in direct reading ports, one 1/8 NPT and one 1/4 NPT.
* A 15 pound bottle equipped with a super Hi-Flo valve works great on maximum effort systems (with a minimum effect on weight).

Q: Can I simply bolt a nitrous kit onto my stock engine?
A: Yes. NOS manufactures systems for virtually any stock engine application. The key is to choose the correct kit for a given application; i.e., 4 cyl. engines normally allow an extra 40-60 HP, 6 cyl. engines usually work great between 75-100 extra HP, small block V8's (302/350/400cid) can typically accept up to 140 extra HP, and big block V8's (427-454) might accept from 125-200 extra HP. These suggested ranges provide maximum reliability from most stock engines using cast pistons and cast crank with few or no engine modifications.

Q: What are some of the general rules for even higher HP gains?
A: Generally, forged aluminum pistons are one of best modifications you can make. Retard ignition timing by 4-8 degrees (1 to 1-1/2 degrees timing retard per 50 HP gain). In many cases a higher flowing fuel pump may be necessary. Higher octane (100+) racing type fuel may be required as well as spark plugs 1 to 2 heat ranges colder than normal with gaps closed to .025"-.030". For gains over 250 HP, other important modifications could be necessary in addition to those mentioned above. These special modifications may include a forged crankshaft, a high quality race type connecting rods, a high output fuel pump dedicated to feeding the additional fuel demands of the nitrous system, and a racing fuel with high specific gravity and an octane rating of 110 or more. For more specific information about your application, please contact the NOS technical dept.

Q: How does nitrous work?
A: Nitrous oxide is made up of 2 parts nitrogen and one part oxygen (36% oxygen by weight). During the combustion process in an engine, at about 572 degrees F, nitrous breaks down and releases oxygen. This extra oxygen creates additional power by allowing more fuel to be burned. Nitrogen acts to buffer, or dampen the increased cylinder pressures helping to control the combustion process. Nitrous also has a tremendous "intercooling" effect by reducing intake charge temperatures by 60 to 75 degrees F.

Q: What kind of testing or research is performed on NOS products?
A: NOS maintains a complete research and development center including computerized dynamometer equipment as well as a nitrous/fuel flow testing facility. In addition, NOS is actively involved in many aspects of racing; working closely with many top name racers to develop the most powerful and reliable nitrous systems in the world.

Q: How much performance improvement can I expect with a nitrous system?
A: For many applications an improvement from 1 to 3 full seconds and 10 to 15 MPH in the quarter mile can be expected. Factors such as engine size, tires, jetting, gearing, etc. will affect the final results.

Q: How long will the bottle last?
A: This largely depends on the type of nitrous kit and jetting used. For example, a 125 HP Power Shot kit with a standard 10 lb. capacity bottle will usually offer up to 7 to 10 full quarter-mile passes. For power levels of 250 HP, 3 to 5 full quarter-mile passes may be expected. If nitrous is only used in 2nd and 3rd gears, the number of runs will be more.

Q: How long can I hold the nitrous button down?
A: It is possible to hold the button down until the bottle is empty. However 15 continuous seconds at a time, or less, is recommended.

Q: When is the best time to use nitrous?
A: At wide open throttle only (unless a progressive controller is used). Due to the tremendous amount of increased torque, you will generally find best results, traction permitting, at early activation. Nitrous can be safely applied above 2,500 RPM under full throttle conditions.

Q: Does NOS manufacture 50-state legal nitrous systems?
A: Yes. In fact, NOS has several EO numbers for various kits such as the 5.0L Mustang and 305/350 GM V8's, etc. In addition, there is no need to remove any smog equipment when installing an NOS system. For more information call the NOS tech line.

Q: Will I have to re-jet my carburetor on my car when adding nitrous?
A: No! The NOS system is independent of your carburetor and injects its own mixture of fuel and nitrous.

Q: Is nitrous oxide flammable?
A: No. Nitrous Oxide by itself is non-flammable. However, the oxygen present in nitrous oxide causes combustion of fuel to take place more rapidly.

Q: Will nitrous oxide cause detonation?
A: Not directly. Detonation is the result of too little fuel present during combustion (lean) or too low of an octane of fuel. Too much ignition advance also causes detonation. In general, most of our kits engineered for stock type engines will work well with premium type fuels and minimal decreases of ignition timing. In racing application where higher compression ratios are used, resulting in higher cylinder pressures, a higher fuel octane must be used as well as more ignition retard.

Q: Where can I get my bottle refilled?
A: Simply call 1-800-99-REFILL for the location of the nearest NOS dealer with refilling capabilities, or check immediately for the most up-to-date Authorized NOS Refill Station Dealers List online.

Q: Is there any performance increase in using medical grade nitrous oxide?
A: None! NOS recommends and sells only the automotive grade, called Ny-trous Plus. Ny-trous Plus contains a minimal amount of sulfur dioxide (100 ppm) as a deterrent to substance abuse. The additive does not affect performance.

Q: Is it a good idea to use an aftermarket computer chip in conjunction with an NOS System?
A: Only if the chip has been designed specifically for use with nitrous oxide. Most aftermarket chips use more aggressive timing advance curves to create more power. This can lead to possible detonation. You may wish to check with the manufacturer of the chip before using it. The top manufacturers, such as Hypertech do make special chips for use with nitrous.

Q: How long does it generally take to install an NOS kit?
A: The majority of NOS kits can be installed using common hand tools in approximately 4 to 6 hours. NOS instruction manuals are by far the best in the industry; and include specific installation drawings, wiring diagrams, and bottle mounting procedures as well as performance tips and a thorough trouble shooting guide.

Q: Which type of manifold is better suited for a plate injector type of nitrous system, single or dual plane manifold?
A: As long as the manifold doesn't interfere with the spray pattern of the bars, either will work fine in most cases. The distribution is better with a single plane at high RPM. If your goal is to increase power by more than 150 HP, the single plane manifold is better.

Q: Does nitrous oxide raise cylinder pressure and temperatures?
A: Yes. Due to the ability to burn more fuel, this is exactly why nitrous makes so much power.

Q: Are there any benefits to chilling the nitrous bottle?
A: No. Chilling the bottle lowers the pressure dramatically and will also lower the flow rate of the nitrous causing a fuel rich condition and reducing power. On cold evenings you might run on the rich side. For optimal running conditions, keep bottle pressure at approximately 900-950 psi. NOS has a nitrous pressure gauge that allows you to monitor this. If you live or operate a nitrous system in colder temperatures, it may also be a good idea to purchase a bottle heater kit, part #14164. Generally, ambient temperatures of 80-90 degrees F will allow for best power potential of NOS kits.

Q: Are there benefits to using nitrous with turbo or super-charger applications?
A: Absolutely! In turbo applications, turbo lag is completely eliminated with the addition of a nitrous system. In addition, both turbo and superchargers compress the incoming air, thus heating it. With the injection of nitrous, a tremendous intercooling effect reduces intake charge temperatures by 75 degrees or more. Boost is usually increased as well, adding to even more power.

Q: How complete is an NOS kit?
A: NOS prides itself on offering the most complete systems on the market today. They include virtually every component that may be needed for a complete installation; parts such as extra long carburetor studs, gaskets, pipe tap, fuel hose, brackets, filters, fittings, hardware, wiring, 10 lb. bottle with Hi-Flo valve, comprehensive instruction manual, and all other major components are standard in every NOS kit.

Q: What is the difference between a standard and an NOS Hi-Flo bottle valve?
A: The orifice of the Hi-Flo valve is much larger than the standard valve allowing for a larger flow of nitrous. With a small orifice valve a pressure drop could occur when nitrous flow is high; causing surging or inadequate nitrous flow. The NOS Hi-Flo valve eliminates this problem. NOS Hi-Flo valves are standard in all NOS kits.

Q: What affect does nitrous have on an engine with considerable miles on it?
A: This depends largely on the actual condition of the engine components. Any performance modification to an engine that is worn out or poorly tuned will have detrimental effects. However, an engine in good condition, with good ring and head gasket sealing, should be able to use nitrous without any abnormal wear.

Q: Will the use of nitrous oxide affect the catalytic converter?
A: No. The increase in oxygen present in the exhaust may actually increase the efficiency of the converter. Since the use of nitrous is normally limited to 10-20 seconds of continuous use, there usually are no appreciable effects. Temperatures are typically well within acceptable standards.

Q: Will the percentage of performance increase be the same in a highly modified engine compared to a stock engine when using the same NOS kit and jetting?
A: Not really. In most cases the percentage of increase is greater from a stock engine because it is not as efficient as the modified engine in a normal non-nitrous mode. However, since the effects of nitrous oxide magnify the output of any engine, the total power output will be much higher in the modified engine.

Q: Can high compression engines utilize nitrous oxide?
A: Absolutely. High or low compression ratios can work quite suitably with nitrous oxide provided the proper balance of nitrous and fuel enrichment is maintained. NOS kits are used in applications from relatively low compression stock type motors to Pro-Modifieds, which often exceed 15 to 1. Generally, the higher the compression ratio, the more ignition retard, as well as higher octane fuel, is required. For more specific information talk to one of our technicians.

Q: Can service station fuel be used for street/strip nitrous oxide applications?
A: Yes. Use of a premium type leaded or unleaded fuel of 92, or greater, octane is recommended for most applications. Many NOS systems are designed for use with service station pump gas. However, when higher compression or higher horsepower levels are used, a racing fuel of 100 octane, or more, must be used.

Q: What type of cam is best suited for use with nitrous oxide?
A: Generally, cams that have less exhaust overlap and more exhaust duration. However, it is best to choose a cam tailored to normal use (when nitrous is not activated) since 99% of most vehicle operations is not at full throttle. There are special cam grinds available for nitrous competition which have more aggressive exhaust profile ramping, etc. Since cam selection depends largely on vehicle weight, gearing, etc., it is best to stick to cam manufacturers' recommendations for your particular goal.

Q: Are NOS kits applicable on late model EFI cars?
A: Yes. In fact NOS has by far the most comprehensive selection of nitrous kits available for these cars. Call for your specific application if you do not see it listed.

Q: What type of nitrous system is better; a plate injection system or a direct port injection system?
A: The advantages of a plate system are ease of installation and removal, ability to transfer easily to another vehicle, ability to change jetting combinations quickly, and in most cases, provide you with all the extra HP you will ever need (75 to 350 more HP). In some cases, such as in-line type engines with long runners, a direct port type system is advisable for maximizing distribution. Also, where more than 350 HP is needed, our direct port Fogger systems will provide the ultimate in distribution and power (up to 500+ HP). Direct port injection is also desirable when the system is hidden under the manifold.

Q: Should I modify my fuel system to use nitrous oxide?
A: Most stock fuel pumps will work adequately for smaller nitrous applications. It is important to check to see if your pump can flow enough fuel to your existing fuel system (whether carburetor or fuel injected), as well as being able to supply the additional fuel required by the nitrous kit under full throttle conditions. It may be a good idea to dedicate a separate fuel pump to the nitrous kit.

Q: Which is the best position to mount a nitrous bottle?
A: NOS bottles come with siphon tubes and, in order to maintain proper nitrous pickup, it is important to mount the bottle correctly. We recommend mounting the bottle at a 15 degree angle with the valve end higher than the bottom of the bottle. The valve end of the bottle should point to the front of the vehicle and the valve knob and label should face straight up.

Q: How important is it to use nitrous and fuel filters in a kit?
A: Some of the most important components of any nitrous system are nitrous and fuel filters. To keep contaminants from attacking the solenoid or plugging up a jet, NOS nitrous filters feature a special stainless steel mesh element from the aerospace industry.

Q: What are the advantages of using nitrous compared to other performance options?
A: The cost of many other performance options can put you in the poorhouse. Dollar for dollar, you can't buy more performance with less money than nitrous. With a nitrous system, performance and reliability can be had for a much more reasonable price while still retaining the advantage of a stock engine during normal driving. And, Nitrous offers tremendous gains in torque without having to rev the engine to excessive rpm's. These factors help your engine last longer than many other methods of boosting horsepower.

Q: Does NOS manufacture kits for motorcycles, water craft, or snowmobiles?
A: Absolutely. Call or write NOS to obtain our special catalog devoted specifically to these applications.

Q: What kind of pressures are components subject to in a typical nitrous kit?
A: Pressures often exceed 1,000 psi. This is why NOS uses only high pressure tested aircraft quality components like stainless steel braided Teflon lines throughout its system.

Q: How do I know how much nitrous is left in the bottle?
A: The most reliable method was is to weigh the bottle to determine how many pounds remain. When a bottle is near empty (about 20% or less nitrous remaining) a surging effect is normally felt.

Q: What is the function of the blow-off safety valve on the bottle?
A: It is very important not to overfill a bottle; i.e., a 10 lb. capacity bottle should not be filled with more than 10 lbs. of nitrous oxide by weight. Over-filling and/or too much heat can cause excessive bottle pressures forcing the safety seal to blow and releasing all the contents out of the bottle.

Q: Will I have to change my ignition system?
A: Most late model ignition systems are well suited for nitrous applications. In some higher HP cases, it may be advisable to look into a high quality high output ignition system.

Last edited by grumpyvette; 11-20-2008 at 01:11 PM.
grumpyvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Dayummm... I have to come back to this one. Can't read all this in one setting.

Good stuff, though... Probably will answer most questions anyone has about nitrous...

Thanks for sharing the info......
Unread 11-18-2008, 08:38 AM   #3
dvdcta

Name :
dvdcta has disabled reputation
Default Nitrous

Grummpy "I" exceed all of the above & I run a 200 WET shot......Puntin it to the max!!!!!!!! ............ Your friend the PHANTOM!!
dvdcta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2008, 06:51 PM   #4
donzee

Name :
donzee is on a distinguished road

Grumpy thanks for the info on nitrous, dont use it, but really good info.

DVD what do you do with your car, drags, autocross ??
200 is a bunch of nitrous to be tooling around Naples.
donzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2008, 08:04 PM   #5
dvdcta

Name :
Default nitrous

Quote:
Originally Posted by donzee View Post

A: there are a lot of good running cars here, Just tryin ta keep up with the traffic. you name it & it's here! Got my own filling Station!..........A 10 lb. bottle will only last 2 mins.& I carry 1-10 & 2-15's After they get to 900 lbs. I turn on a new bottle I have a manifold there & can reach back & open a new bottle!!!!
Unread 11-24-2008, 04:02 PM   #6
dvdcta

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by donzee View Post

NOPE! MY NITROUS SYSTEM IS capable of a 400 shot!!! I built it myself!! IF, you don't go over the limit's you'll be OK!!!! But I don't know the limit's!!! yet??