The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Performance Tuning

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Performance Tuning Beginner and advanced tuning | Tools of the trade

Unread 04-15-2009, 04:07 PM   #1
ArchetypeZ28
Alchemist

Name :
ArchetypeZ28 has disabled reputation
Default 1999-2002 PCM into 1997-1998 Swap

We here at EFI Alchemy wanted to put together some pictures to try and give '97-'98 LS1-powered vehicle owners a better idea of what is involved in an '02 PCM swap and what advantages there are to doing this conversion.

The first thing you should ask yourself is, "Do I need to do this?" My answer when people ask me this varies according to the goals of the customer. If the vehicle owner only has plans for a simple bolt-on N/A set of modifications, then generally speaking the '97-'98 PCM will prove adequate. Once you start thinking of large cams, head swaps or any kind of forced induction or nitrous, then I highly recommend you swap in the newer PCM as a building block to build a foundation for all of your future modifications.

What you gain from doing this conversion is similar to upgrading your home computer from Dos to Windows XP. Overall, you gain greater resolution for fueling and spark, which allows much greater control of what is happening inside your engine and greatly improves drive ability. True real time tuning via a Moates Roadrunner PCM also becomes available to the '97-'98 owner upon completion of this swap. Having the ability to make any adjustment on the fly in real time opens up a lot more possibilities for tuning and any custom systems you may want to add to your car. Lastly, it also brings all of EFI Live’s free custom operating systems to the table, with features such as the on-the-fly ability to pull timing and add fuel for nitrous or expanded map tables for forced induction.

The basic idea of performing this swap involves removing all 300-320 wires from the PCM connectors, and remapping them into the correct positions for the '02 PCM. Unless the harness is damaged, this does not require any wires to be cut, simply pulled, and replaced into new positions on the PCM connectors. The pictures shown here are from a '97 Corvette that we completed this conversion on.

First step is to remove your old PCM and pull back the wiring loom to expose the PCM connectors and PCM harness wires.

Once you have the old PCM removed and the wires are accessible, it is time to start removing the wires from the PCM connectors. This part requires A LOT of patience. You need to be sure to only remove and label one wire at a time. Once you are done and have them all pulled and labeled, it should look something like this:

Now it's time to start re-inserting the wires back into the PCM connectors in their new locations. Go slow and be patient, it will save you a huge headache later on!

Once you have all of the wires replaced into new positions, you can take some time, wrap up the harness and make it look like it came from the factory.

All wrapped up.

New PCM mounted in the car via new '02 Corvette PCM mounts.
ArchetypeZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2009, 09:36 PM   #2
Bradzvette
PW Pimp, keeper O' 'da thread

Name :
Bradzvette is on a distinguished road

All stock functions are retianed?

Key fobs
Tire sensors
Knock sensors
etc?

Lots of differences after 98.

Did it throw any codes when fired up?

Pretty cool. May do it to mine.

Thanks
Bradzvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2009, 11:02 PM   #3
Ms. AntiVenom
Vicious Evil Person

Name :
Ms. AntiVenom will become famous soon enough

I changed everything from my firehawk over to 2002 EVERYTHING especially the fuel tank...lol (had a doner car) I just had to get away from everything 99 and under for once.

Makes tuning allot snappier also, less of a pain in the pumpkin

Website
------------------------------------------------------
Ms. AntiVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2009, 11:51 AM   #4
ArchetypeZ28
Alchemist

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. AntiVenom View Post
I changed everything from my firehawk over to 2002 EVERYTHING especially the fuel tank...lol (had a doner car) I just had to get away from everything 99 and under for once.

Makes tuning allot snappier also, less of a pain in the pumpkin
Unread 04-16-2009, 12:30 PM   #5
ArchetypeZ28
Alchemist

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad@TheCorvetteShow View Post
All stock functions are retained?

Key fobs
Tire sensors
Knock sensors
etc?

Lots of differences after 98.

Did it throw any codes when fired up?

Pretty cool. May do it to mine.

Thanks
As far as I can remember, yes everything is retained. I will double check with Doc on that just to make sure.
Unread 04-17-2009, 04:09 PM   #6
Bradzvette

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchetypeZ28 View Post
As far as I can remember, yes everything is retained. I will double check with Doc on that just to make sure.
Cool.

I apprweciate the info.

Another question, how do you get a valid vin to flash the computer?

I'm scouring ebay now for a 99-02 computer. Want to get it installed before the 383 engine gets done. EFI live is on the way. Time to learn how to tune.
Unread 04-17-2009, 04:20 PM   #7
MRS. XTREME

Name :
MRS. XTREME is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Time to learn how to tune.
Whewwww good luck !!
EFI live is not as easy as most think...

We have a customer down in West Palm who bought EFI live and was gonna tune it himself and well....he's now our customer...LOL... He was amazed how fast Chris is with EFI and said "if I had a 1/10 of his knowledge I would be trouble when it came to tuning"

He told us he tuned before and never thought it would be any more difficult ...

He has since sold his EFI live!

GOOD LUCK !

Hope its not like that for you , cause EFI live is a good thing lottss of customers want it !!
MRS. XTREME is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2009, 04:39 PM   #8
ArchetypeZ28
Alchemist

Name :

Quote:
Cool.

I apprweciate the info.

Another question, how do you get a valid vin to flash the computer?

I'm scouring ebay now for a 99-02 computer. Want to get it installed before the 383 engine gets done. EFI live is on the way. Time to learn how to tune.
EFI Live does not care about the vin. You can put your current vin in and it will work fine. EFI Live is great tuning software, just do research on it and take your time learning it.
Unread 04-17-2009, 04:55 PM   #9
Bradzvette

Name :

Thanks

Being a reading/special ed teacher for 15 years has taught me to read and follow directions very well. Add in 12 years of computer IT/software experience I think I have a small advantage over most beginners. I have done all my own work on the vette thus far, (engine swap, h/c, clutch, diff, headers, etc., etc.) why stop now? LOL

And lastly my engine builder is going to help me out getting started tuning as well.

I chose EFI becasue the forums for them seem much more helpful the HP tuners. I have researched this for almost a year before finally making the plunge.

Thanks again
Unread 04-17-2009, 06:06 PM   #10
MRS. XTREME

Name :
MRS. XTREME is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks

Being a reading/special ed teacher for 15 years has taught me to read and follow directions very well. Add in 12 years of computer IT/software experience I think I have a small advantage over most beginners. I have done all my own work on the vette thus far, (engine swap, h/c, clutch, diff, headers, etc., etc.) why stop now? LOL

And lastly my engine builder is going to help me out getting started tuning as well.

I chose EFI becasue the forums for them seem much more helpful the HP tuners. I have researched this for almost a year before finally making the plunge.

Thanks again

Yes you would have an advantage !!! I hope that helps you tons !! You will catch on just like they say though take your time with it
MRS. XTREME is offline   Reply With Quote