The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Z06Fever!

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Z06Fever! Well, why not? Having one of these toys is definitely an illness for which there is no cure, so let's talk about this specific malady.

Unread 04-05-2008, 05:20 PM   #1
Qman

Name :
Qman is on a distinguished road
Default 2008 Z06 SHIFTER

I feel that the stock shifter has play (easy to go to wrong gear) I know I have to get my skills better but I want to purchase an aftermarket shifter. Can anyone suggest a qaulity shifter that I will be happy with? Thanks
Qman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2008, 07:05 PM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

I've tried the Hurst but it was too stiff and much like work to run though the gears. I have the MTI Six-Shooter and it is MUCH better than stock and MUCH better than the Hurst. Just don't believe MTI (in Georgia) about them sending you a refund for the core charge when you return your stock shifter (if they still do it that way). I returned mine sent them oodles of emails and have never gotten a response, much less my refund.
Unread 04-05-2008, 07:40 PM   #3
xtrememotorsports

Name :
xtrememotorsports is on a distinguished road
Default Just my opinion....

I know its not a name brand that everyone will recognize for shifters BUT I have installed SEVERAL FIDANZA shifters for people who wanted after market shifters and everyone seemed to like them and have yet to have any complaints on them.
Also with the HURST, B&M I dont know what the MTI shifters made out of but you CAN NOT manipulate or alter the shifter to put the C6 knob in the same location it comes in stock, there is about a 10 degree bend towards the back of the car in the stock shifter.
A FIDANZA shifter is made of steel with an aluminum base which allows me to manipulate the shifter or bend if you will to put the shifter in the stock location.
I know alot of people install the Hurst and B&M and MTI and have no complaints with them but for me it moves the shift knob too close to the console.
You can get a FIDANZA with me installed for $225 and you keep your stock shifter not sure what others charge though.
xtrememotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

For the record, my MTI shifter is in my C5 Z06, and NOT a C6 Z06. So your mileage may vary with the C6 Z06. Sorry, I forgot to mention that little detail....
Unread 04-16-2008, 02:02 PM   #5
Daytona-Flyer
Eric

Name :
Daytona-Flyer is on a distinguished road

Prior to my 2008 Z06, I had a 2004 Z. I changed the shifter on the '04 to a B&M Ripper Shifter. Never missed a gear with the new shifter.

The B&M has a very short throw. However you get nothing for nothing. The shifter does require more effort than the stock one. Well what would you expect would happen by moving the pivot point? It took me all of two days to not notice the extra effort.

The shifter on my 2008 is satisfactory and will not be upgraded. I have no idea why you would have trouble with your new car. If you think there is something wrong, have the dealer look at it.

Eric
Daytona-Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2008, 01:26 PM   #6
Z-427
Jetstream Z

Name :
Z-427 has disabled reputation
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qman View Post
I feel that the stock shifter has play (easy to go to wrong gear) I know I have to get my skills better but I want to purchase an aftermarket shifter. Can anyone suggest a qaulity shifter that I will be happy with? Thanks

Don't think about it twice get the MGW short shifter trust me, you will thank me later it is the best short shifter out for the C6 ZO6 and you can tell by the quality of the shifter that it will take anything you throw at it, if you want go to their website, t's called www.mgwltd.com and give them a call. It comes out to exactly $204 with shipping!
Z-427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2008, 01:29 PM   #7
Z-427
Jetstream Z

Name :
Z-427 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qman View Post
When I get home I will post pictures for you if you want to see it.
Z-427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2008, 09:34 PM   #8
Qman

Name :
Qman is on a distinguished road
Default shifter

thanks for the info. please post pics
Qman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2008, 10:20 AM   #9
reaktionar

Name :
reaktionar is on a distinguished road

I have some pictures of my MGW shifter on my car domain site, http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3114969

I had tried some of the other shifters mentioned in some other Corvettes and took a chance on the MGW, but it doesn't seem to have any rattle and the throw is definitely distinct.
reaktionar is offline   Reply With Quote