The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Legal Issues

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Legal Issues Traffic tickets | Laws | Pending Legislation

Unread 07-20-2007, 10:22 PM   #1
als2052
Road Trip!

Name :
als2052 is on a distinguished road
Default License Plate Law - Just Saw On The News

Law prohibits you from covering any writing on license plate. In Punta Gorda, they are ticketing the cr_p out of everyone. What about our plate frames? Anyone have the specifics on this law??
als2052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2007, 10:28 PM   #2
C5Rick

Name : Rick Hice
C5Rick has disabled reputation

when I lived in ohioa lot of plate frames covered all or part of the stickers renewal stickers. This was against the law.
Unread 07-20-2007, 11:18 PM   #3
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

"Technically" it's a violation of Florida traffic law. A friend of mind just received a citation for just that from a Tampa Police Officer! I'm sure happy to know that Tampa is so F**king safe we have nothing better to worry about than frames!

For my $.02, it's one of the more Charlie Sierra laws we have on our books. I refuse to write a citation for it unless I'm:

A) Looking for Probable Cause to stop for "other reasons."
B) You piss me off!

If the tag frame obscures the renewal decal, thats one thing. If it covers the word FLORIDA or that rediculous "Myflorida.com" crap, then who the hell cares?

God I'd make a lousy politician!!!
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2007, 07:11 AM   #4
Classy
Car Arts Auto Detailing

Name :
Classy has disabled reputation

One of my son's got pulled over once because he had,get this,a trialer ball on his rear bumber,nothing attached to it,the deputy said it was blocking his license plate. Mean while I see trucks driving around with trailers without license plates on and if they are on they are heldup with wire and are crooked. I guess they nothing else to worry about around here.With all the horrible stuff that happens in this crazy world,it is a shame that the Leo has to worry about petty things like this.For anyone who think I'm Bashing any Leo officer's,Well just to let you know my husband was a MP in the Marines and my one son works for are local Sherriffs Dept.I have Great respect for a Leo and think they are under payed,Has are a firefighters.I just can't understand why these petty laws are still on the books,meanwhile Murders,Rapist and Childmolsters go free. Sorry about the Rant.
Classy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2007, 08:05 AM   #5
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Classy,

The poroblem is, once a law is "on the books" it's almost impossible to have it removed. There's always some reason. Either law enforcement see's it as a "tool" and doesn't want to lose it, or the legislature just doesn't have the "time" to to the bill/motion to have it stricken They're too busy frying up all the "pork" in thier polyticks
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2007, 08:47 AM   #6
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy
One of my son's got pulled over once because he had,get this,a trialer ball on his rear bumber,nothing attached to it,the deputy said it was blocking his license plate. Mean while I see trucks driving around with trailers without license plates on and if they are on they are heldup with wire and are crooked. I guess they nothing else to worry about around here.With all the horrible stuff that happens in this crazy world,it is a shame that the Leo has to worry about petty things like this.For anyone who think I'm Bashing any Leo officer's,Well just to let you know my husband was a MP in the Marines and my one son works for are local Sherriffs Dept.I have Great respect for a Leo and think they are under payed,Has are a firefighters.I just can't understand why these petty laws are still on the books,meanwhile Murders,Rapist and Childmolsters go free. Sorry about the Rant.
I understand your rant.You need to ask which is easier,safer and gives more presents and exposure? Ticket an old man for not wearing a seat belt or going after four guys selling drugs on a street corner.

It's not always the case but at times it seems that way.
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2007, 10:49 AM   #7
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

The squeaky wheel still gets the grease! It only takes one citizen to complain about an issue that is relevant to them-no matter how petty it seems to the rest of us. And it takes as much legislation to remove a law from the books as it does to get it there to begin with.
85vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2007, 01:13 AM   #8
Hot Pursuit

Name :
Hot Pursuit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy

I think your a little of base here. I agree the laws may be "petty", but YOU (as a citizen of this country) voted in the politician who made that law and countless others. DO NOT fault the officer for enforcing it no matter how petty you may think it is. I can say that I am SURE that ANY police officer of ANY uniform color wants to arrest murderers child molesters and drug dealers but the courts make that extremely difficult. Once they do the courts (and you guessed it - judges voted into office) release them because there is no room in the prisons due to the (you guessed it again - voted in politicians) want to fund the hell out of some "Art project" in your city to buy a 2 million dollar statue instead of putting the money into prisons.

Your "Petty" comments about police enforcing laws that you don’t “deem important” are total BS. When it's a law it's a law. We find the ones that feel important to us for whatever reason it may be and enforce them. We don't have enough time to enforce EVERY LAW ALL THE TIME. Some of that is directly related to the supervisors of the officers who demand that certain things be done (ie "write 10 tickets a week") so they chose to write non-moving no points tickets (such as tag citations) that DO NOT carry points or effect your insurance rates!

Your sarcasm is misdirected (no matter who you say your family works for, MP or Sheriff's Office) and I don't appreciate it. I don't like to surf "the other site" because some people get on there and bash LEO anonymously from behind some keyboard in BFE and stir the pot. I don't expect that here, and if it turns into that I will stop surfing this site too.
Hot Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2007, 05:51 AM   #9
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Pursuit

Your sarcasm is misdirected (no matter who you say your family works for, MP or Sheriff's Office) and I don't appreciate it. I don't like to surf "the other site" because some people get on there and bash LEO anonymously from behind some keyboard in BFE and stir the pot. I don't expect that here, and if it turns into that I will stop surfing this site too.
I think your a little off base.And it appears from your post your having a problem fitting in.I have nothing against LEO's I work with them every day.I have a problem with anyone having a bad attitude.

You explained your position well in the first paragraphs but then went on to bash a nice lady directly ,which is un called for.

vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2007, 06:06 AM   #10
sandman

Name :
sandman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow
"Technically" it's a violation of Florida traffic law. A friend of mind just received a citation for just that from a Tampa Police Officer! I'm sure happy to know that Tampa is so F**king safe we have nothing better to worry about than frames!

For my $.02, it's one of the more Charlie Sierra laws we have on our books. I refuse to write a citation for it unless I'm:

A) Looking for Probable Cause to stop for "other reasons."
B) You piss me off!

If the tag frame obscures the renewal decal, thats one thing. If it covers the word FLORIDA or that rediculous "Myflorida.com" crap, then who the hell cares?

God I'd make a lousy politician!!!
Maybe but it sounds like you are a really good and fair cop. Thanks
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote