The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 08-11-2020, 08:06 PM   #591
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

We got caught right smack dab in the eye of that hurricane last week when it came through Pennsylvania. A lot of rain, a little wind, lots of flooded streets! Wouldn't you know, we drive all over the nation and Canada, staying away from the hurricanes in Florida, only to run into one in the northeast!
Unread 08-11-2020, 08:26 PM   #592
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Thank you for drawing the hurricane away from us.
Unread 08-11-2020, 09:26 PM   #593
85vette

Name :

Well I'll have you know that I'll be back in Florida next Saturday! Beware!!!
Unread 08-12-2020, 11:51 AM   #594
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
Well I'll have you know that I'll be back in Florida next Saturday! Beware!!!

Yesterday it was gloomy as hell here nearly all day long, but we only got 0.14" of rain out of it. Thunder all around and just sprinkles from around noontime till just before nightfall. Yuch...
Unread 08-12-2020, 01:09 PM   #595
85vette

Name :

We’ve run into a good bit of rain this summer mostly in the northern plains. I even drove into a tornado in June. It was in Nebraska at about 1:30 in the morning. It was windy from the southwest all day with spotty thunderstorms, nothing looked very threatening on the radar. Not much traffic on Interstate 80 westbound and I was only running about 68 mph due to the constant 30-40 mph winds. I started up a bridge and could see two other trucks ahead of me about a quarter mile. A sign on the bridge said wind gusts could be present. About that time the other two trucks slowed drastically and we got hit with about a 60 mph gust of wind. The other trucks had pulled to the side of the road on top of the bridge. I slowed to a crawl but I stayed in the center of the road thinking if I was going to get blown over I wanted to be blown over on the road, not over the bridge! Then the gust stopped and the truck started shaking and from the left side came a wall of water, but it was spinning horizontally! The shaking and the howling woke my wife up and she came out of the sleeper asking what was going on. I told her to hold on to something because I was still afraid we were going over. It hit us then and we couldn’t see anything for what seemed like a long time but it was a few seconds I’m sure. Then it was gone and the southwest wind was back. The fact that we were in a heavily loaded truck is probably all that saved us. That and the prayers that I was praying! I’m sure that was a small tornado but that’s the second one I’ve been close to in my life and I don’t care to be near another one!
Unread 08-12-2020, 04:25 PM   #596
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
We’ve run into a good bit of rain this summer mostly in the northern plains. I even drove into a tornado in June. It was in Nebraska at about 1:30 in the morning. It was windy from the southwest all day with spotty thunderstorms, nothing looked very threatening on the radar. Not much traffic on Interstate 80 westbound and I was only running about 68 mph due to the constant 30-40 mph winds. I started up a bridge and could see two other trucks ahead of me about a quarter mile. A sign on the bridge said wind gusts could be present. About that time the other two trucks slowed drastically and we got hit with about a 60 mph gust of wind. The other trucks had pulled to the side of the road on top of the bridge. I slowed to a crawl but I stayed in the center of the road thinking if I was going to get blown over I wanted to be blown over on the road, not over the bridge! Then the gust stopped and the truck started shaking and from the left side came a wall of water, but it was spinning horizontally! The shaking and the howling woke my wife up and she came out of the sleeper asking what was going on. I told her to hold on to something because I was still afraid we were going over. It hit us then and we couldn’t see anything for what seemed like a long time but it was a few seconds I’m sure. Then it was gone and the southwest wind was back. The fact that we were in a heavily loaded truck is probably all that saved us. That and the prayers that I was praying! I’m sure that was a small tornado but that’s the second one I’ve been close to in my life and I don’t care to be near another one!
Damn! Yeah, I bet that did take a few years off of your life!

Seeing a waterspout off of Englewood Beach a long LONG time ago is what originally got me interested in photography. It was such an amazing sight and I wished I had had some way to capture that memory. Of course, never had more than glancing blows at seeing one again since then. But still I don't want to be all THAT close to one! Seeing one from a nice safe distance using a telephoto lens is just fine with me. Never ever had any desire to be an actual tornado chaser. Sometimes they chase back and they can bite pretty hard!
Unread 08-14-2020, 11:07 PM   #597
Rich Z

Got 0.8" or rain yesterday and then 1.29" early this morning.

Looks like a real good chance of more tomorrow, and pretty much throughout the next 10 days. Might have to put the vette back on the battery trickle charger.
Unread 08-15-2020, 09:06 AM   #598
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

Nothing at all this month here.
CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2020, 08:54 PM   #599
Rich Z

Had a pretty good storm come in a bit after 3 pm and dumped 0.98" of rain.

Rest of this week is looking like it will be pretty wet around here.

Too bad my watermelon crop was a bust (again!) this year. Beats the heck out of me what I am doing wrong. They looked pretty good on the outside. I even left them on the vine till the vine itself turned brown and withered away. But when we cut them open, they were just light pink with an extremely thick rind. Seeds were mostly fully formed and black, so they seemed to be ripe. But the flesh was definitely not ripe and inedible. Oh well.... At least they didn't explode open like they have done in the past, so maybe I am getting closer to figuring this out. Or maybe not...

Only fruit trees we have working right now are the citrus. It will be a few more months before they are good to go.
Unread 08-19-2020, 12:14 PM   #600
Rich Z

Had a pretty good storm come in during the early AM hours between 2am and 6am with lots of lightning and thunder during the earlier part. We got 0.89" of rain out of it.