• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

90 corvette radio

richard

This is my first post,my radio will not power on.I have problems with my speakers and amps.I would like to try working on it just because,but don't know how to take it out.Can anybody help.
thanks,richard

Richard,

I cannot help you on your C4, but there are other people around here that maybe able to.

Since this is your first post, you might want to wander up to the Welcome Room and introduce yourself. It is a good way to get started meeting people here. :welcome:

Rich

richard said:
This is my first post,my radio will not power on.I have problems with my speakers and amps.I would like to try working on it just because,but don't know how to take it out.Can anybody help.
thanks,richard

I took mine out on my 90. The center console needs to come off, the gear shift knob needs to come off, the left and right console panels need to come off, the bezel (the one that surrounds the radio, climate control, etc)..needs to come off...
many screws...please do yourself a favor and take pictures and label screws(put in ziplock baggies, etc) as there are many. Some are so very close in size that you may not get the right ones back in the right place.

Once all of that is done, then you'll find the screws that mount the radio. When pulling the radio, pay attention to how the wiring harness is run. It's a true BEAR to reconnect it when you are ready.

Another thing when putting it back together. Take care not to overtorque the screws into the plastic bezel...it will easily break the bezel... trust me on this one.

Good luck.

sglfladad said:
I took mine out on my 90. The center console needs to come off, the gear shift knob needs to come off, the left and right console panels need to come off, the bezel (the one that surrounds the radio, climate control, etc)..needs to come off...
many screws...please do yourself a favor and take pictures and label screws(put in ziplock baggies, etc) as there are many. Some are so very close in size that you may not get the right ones back in the right place.

Once all of that is done, then you'll find the screws that mount the radio. When pulling the radio, pay attention to how the wiring harness is run. It's a true BEAR to reconnect it when you are ready.

Another thing when putting it back together. Take care not to overtorque the screws into the plastic bezel...it will easily break the bezel... trust me on this one.

Good luck.
Actually, Only the Console Lid#14,Shift Knob(Not Pictured), Console Top #8 or #9(Depending on Man or Auto) and Bezel# 52 need to come out!! I believe there are 6 screws(If I remember right!!) that hold the Head unit in place,and it slides out the front!! There are 2 fuses in the back of it!!(If I remember right!!) The Radio itself is in the back compartment with the Jack!!!:thumbsup: There bad to get Water in them from the hatch weatherstrip being bad or leaking and Short out and Blow one of the fuses!! Sometimes they will dry out and be OK after replacing the fuse,Sometimes Not!!:thumbsup::welcome:
PS Make Sure that the drain holes in the compartment's are clear!!:thumbsup:

Last edited:
gmjunkie said:
Actually, Only the Console Lid#14,Shift Knob(Not Pictured), Console Top #8 or #9(Depending on Man or Auto) and Bezel# 52 need to come out!! I believe there are 6 screws(If I remember right!!) that hold the Head unit in place,and it slides out the front!! There are 2 fuses in the back of it!!(If I remember right!!) The Radio itself is in the back compartment with the Jack!!!:thumbsup: There bad to get Water in them from the hatch weatherstrip being bad or leaking and Short out and Blow one of the fuses!! Sometimes they will dry out and be OK after replacing the fuse,Sometimes Not!!:thumbsup::welcome:
PS Make Sure that the drain holes in the compartment's are clear!!:thumbsup:

You're probably right. You've certainly worked on these much more than I have. I sold my 90 a while back and let the service manual go with it. As I think back, I recall that I also had a need to remove both seats in order to swap the power seat racks.. That's probably where I got the part about the side console covers. I did it all as one project. I only replaced the head unit, not the radio.

Thanks GM..

p.s. I still suggest you take pics and take notes of where you pulled screws from..

sglfladad said:
p.s. I still suggest you take pics and take notes of where you pulled screws from..
Certainly!!,I do it all the time!!Where do you think I get allot of these Photos!!! I document every car I work on almost!! Unless it's just a Tune up or something small!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Back