The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Firearms and Other Weapons

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Firearms and Other Weapons Had a request for this forum, so here it is. Guess it will give me some place to talk about guns myself after selling my ArmsLocker forum.

Unread 02-13-2011, 07:15 PM   #51
jpee
jpee

Name :
jpee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
So you are stating that it is perfectly OK for LEOs to treat non-LEOs differently from LEOs in the performance of their duties? That the laws being broken by LEOs should be treated differently than the same laws being broken by regular citizens? In effect, "do as we tell you to do, not as WE can get away with."?

And you wonder why LEOs have issues with the publics perceptions of them?
YES !! Its called a "PERK" of the job!! And I have no problem of the publics perception of me when I was "On the job"

I'm not to familiar on how to work this forum, but if you or maybe Bob can post a "Poll" we'll see what most think of LEO either + or - ...

If you can please start a poll...
jpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #52
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpee View Post
YES !! Its called a "PERK" of the job!! And I have no problem of the publics perception of me when I was "On the job"

I'm not to familiar on how to work this forum, but if you or maybe Bob can post a "Poll" we'll see what most think of LEO either + or - ...

If you can please start a poll...
Seriously? You believe that being able to violate the law and be excused from such violations because you ARE a LEO is a "perk" of the job? Quite simply, the law does NOT apply to you because you enforce the laws?

I don't know whether that qualifies for a or a
Unread 02-13-2011, 07:49 PM   #53
Bob K
Deceased

Name : Bob Korreck
Bob K has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Seriously? You believe that being able to violate the law and be excused from such violations because you ARE a LEO is a "perk" of the job? Quite simply, the law does NOT apply to you because you enforce the laws?

I don't know whether that qualifies for a or a
I don't take it personally Rich and that's not what he's saying. He may cut a LEO a little more slack but I would expect that. They're brothers but an ass is a ass and he'll get the works regardless.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 08:06 PM   #54
jpee
jpee

Name :
jpee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
I don't take it personally Rich and that's not what he's saying. He may cut a LEO a little more slack but I would expect that. They're brothers but an ass is a ass and he'll get the works regardless.
Thank you Bob !!... You are right on the $$ ... YES.. I most likely would "Cut another LEO" a little more slack than someone else...

But on the same page, how many civilians would stop and jump in if I were getting my A$$ kicked on the side of the road....

99% of LEO WOULD stop and help another LEO who was in trouble...THAT is why I and MOST other LEO's will cut fellow LEO's some slack..

It does NOT mean they have "Cart Blanch" to do as they please... there IS a difference between letting a guy slide for 15 mph over the limit, and letting a DRUNK driver go..

in other words if another LEO was DRUNK ...I doubt many other LEO's would just let it slide....

Remember we are talking about minor violations.. 15 -20 mph over the limit... I have SEEN LEO's arrested for doing 115 in Ct. The trooper towed his car and physically arrested him...

So being a LEO is NOT a "Get out of Jail Free" card !!
jpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 08:13 PM   #55
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

I don't even stop anyone unless they're 15 over. Unless it's a school zone....but I cut Joe Citizen alot of slack anyway, so I'm going to cut my fellow officer some slack as well. We do have discretion.
Unread 02-13-2011, 08:41 PM   #56
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
I don't even stop anyone unless they're 15 over. Unless it's a school zone....but I cut Joe Citizen alot of slack anyway, so I'm going to cut my fellow officer some slack as well. We do have discretion.
Yes, discretion is certainly a welcome relief from someone who would be hard nosed, and strictly "by the books", I would think. But the discretion that this is about is based on is simply someone flashing a LEO ID and being given MORE consideration than anyone else in an identical situation.

So would you cut an LEO or ex-LEO more slack then you would Joe Citizen in exactly the same circumstances? If you pull someone over and you feel that they should get a ticket (let's say 20 over), does it cause you to change your mind about that ticket if you find out that they are an LEO instead of just a "Joe Citizen"?

That is the issue I am bringing up. The law is the law. Unless LEOs are specifically exempted from such laws, then aren't they obligated to obey them the same as the rest of us are? If a private citizen would get the ticket written for a specific violation then why not the ex-LEO or LEO in plain clothes, off duty, etc.?

Actually, do most LEOs flash their identification with the expectation to get some slack? Is this ETHICAL to have such expectation and try to act on it accordingly?

Seriously, LEOs SHOULD even be held to a higher standard then us common folks anyway. They should be leading by example, not expecting to get "perks" because of their position. Show US by your example how we should obey the laws. Even when in uniform and while driving your cruiser, you SHOULD be obeying the law just as is expected of us. If you have a valid legitimate reason for trying to get to a crime scene or some other actual emergency, then fine, get there as quickly as you safely can. But otherwise, I believe those posted speed signs apply to EVERYONE, in or out of uniform and whether or not they are, or have been, a LEO.

No, I'm not saying that all LEOs should be hard asses in all situations. What I'm saying is that it is not FAIR nor ethical to allow other LEOs special considerations over and above what would be offered to any other citizen when a law has been violated. It gives an impression to the general public that is not flattering at all to LEOs in general, in my opinion.
Unread 02-14-2011, 09:27 AM   #57
C6Flatfoot

Name :
C6Flatfoot has disabled reputation

Rich Z,

It almost sounds as if you may think that all LEO's drive like heck anytime and anyplace thinking that they can "badge" their way out of a citation or maybe even an arrest.

This simply is not the case! Any new officer who comes on the job thinking along those lines doesn't last long in the career.

Good officers don't put other officers on the spot.

I can recall giving just two warnings (professional courtesy)to off duty LEO's compared to thousands issued to civilians over the course of my career.

Career cops know that they can't keep their job if they rack up tickets and that is also a factor we think of when extending professional courtesy for the unintentional infraction. The professional courtesy may be good for one instance and is not a get out of jail pass. Any repeat infraction could result in a citation and/or disciplinary action.

I think that an officer who has received a warning is much more appreciative of it than the average person who may just laugh it off and consider themselves lucky this time!

Cops are just people and we make mistakes like everyone.

Professional courtesy does not apply if an officer commits a criminal traffic offense or any criminal act.

We do share a brotherhood and take care of our own in a way that civilians cannot understand.

Great cars
Great forum
Great people

I like it here!

Thanks for reading
c6flatfoot
C6Flatfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 06:53 PM   #58
Cor66Vette

Name :
Cor66Vette has disabled reputation
Default Check out the change

Thanks to all who got involved with your emails and phone calls.
Cor66Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 06:55 PM   #59
Cor66Vette

Name :

http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forum...php?albumid=72

Thanks for the emails and phone calls
Unread 09-29-2011, 06:57 PM   #60
Cor66Vette

Name :

This is freakin' stupid a post can't even be edited. How the h*** do you know if the post is what is intended. Stupid I say! STUPID!