The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 10-13-2018, 08:09 PM   #31
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

How did the house do and orange trees?
CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2018, 08:08 AM   #32
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

Not really that bad under the circumstances
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2018, 09:53 PM   #33
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Well, the generator worked like a champ. Ran for nearly 5 straight days. But it only runs the other buildings and not the house. It was bought for the SerpenCo business to keep the animals alive during an extended power outage. It kept the freezer from thawing out, so the food inside all stayed good. Plus is runs the water pump, so had we been home, it would have provided running water for us.

Connie and I bailed out on Tuesday and headed over to the east coast of Florida (Palm Coast). Just got back this afternoon, and power had just been restored this morning. Had a friend checking the place for us, and I told him that as long as the generator was running, then power was still out. So power was out for nearly 5 full days. We were coming back today, regardless. Staying in a motel like the Hampton Inn gets old after a while.

Just had some large branches at the top of a water oak tree (I think that is what it is) snap off and fall in front of the carport. I spent a couple of hours cutting up those branches and hauling them out of the driveway, so that is cleared now. Lots of debris everywhere shaken out of trees, of course. But no damage to any of the buildings anywhere that we have found yet. So we were lucky.

A cursory glance at the citrus trees shows they fared really well. I thought there would be loose fruits blown all over the yard.

Anyway, I highly recommend evacuating when things like this happen. It's pretty stressful worrying about losing your house, but it would be a WHOLE LOT more stressful if you are still in it while thinking that might happen.

Someone on one of my other sites posted the link to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3ofAJSqpLM

That is Toucans in Mexico Beach. Connie and I have eaten there before. But looks like that won't happen again, as Michael appears to have just wiped it off of the map completely.
Unread 10-16-2018, 07:17 AM   #34
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Well, the generator worked like a champ. Ran for nearly 5 straight days. But it only runs the other buildings and not the house. It was bought for the SerpenCo business to keep the animals alive during an extended power outage. It kept the freezer from thawing out, so the food inside all stayed good. Plus is runs the water pump, so had we been home, it would have provided running water for us.

Connie and I bailed out on Tuesday and headed over to the east coast of Florida (Palm Coast). Just got back this afternoon, and power had just been restored this morning. Had a friend checking the place for us, and I told him that as long as the generator was running, then power was still out. So power was out for nearly 5 full days. We were coming back today, regardless. Staying in a motel like the Hampton Inn gets old after a while.

Just had some large branches at the top of a water oak tree (I think that is what it is) snap off and fall in front of the carport. I spent a couple of hours cutting up those branches and hauling them out of the driveway, so that is cleared now. Lots of debris everywhere shaken out of trees, of course. But no damage to any of the buildings anywhere that we have found yet. So we were lucky.

A cursory glance at the citrus trees shows they fared really well. I thought there would be loose fruits blown all over the yard.

Anyway, I highly recommend evacuating when things like this happen. It's pretty stressful worrying about losing your house, but it would be a WHOLE LOT more stressful if you are still in it while thinking that might happen.

Someone on one of my other sites posted the link to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3ofAJSqpLM

That is Toucans in Mexico Beach. Connie and I have eaten there before. But looks like that won't happen again, as Michael appears to have just wiped it off of the map completely.
Seems you were far enough west to miss the core winds. The strongest winds did not go far out from the center.
Unread 10-16-2018, 11:09 AM   #35
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASZ51 View Post
Seems you were far enough west to miss the core winds. The strongest winds did not go far out from the center.
Actually, we were east of the storm's center at landfall. Straight line distance from Crawfordville to Mexico Beach is about 65 miles.
Unread 10-17-2018, 07:05 AM   #36
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

Quote:
Actually, we were east of the storm's center at landfall. Straight line distance from Crawfordville to Mexico Beach is about 65 miles.
I mean east. 93F in Tampa and broke a record. This is nuts.
Unread 04-25-2019, 03:48 PM   #37
Rich Z

Looks like they upgraded the strength of Hurricane Michael to a Category 5 level.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/data/tcr/AL142018_Michael.pdf

From the looks of things at Mexico Beach, I thought there would be little doubt about that from the beginning.
Unread 04-25-2019, 07:13 PM   #38
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

Quote:
Looks like they upgraded the strength of Hurricane Michael to a Category 5 level.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/data/tcr/AL142018_Michael.pdf

From the looks of things at Mexico Beach, I thought there would be little doubt about that from the beginning.
If it had more time and another 200 miles to go i think it would have been the worst ever with gust over 200mph.
Unread 04-25-2019, 07:38 PM   #39
Rich Z

Yeah, I'm not even in the least embarrassed that I decided to get out of Dodge on that one. I'm actually surprised that we didn't have more damage around here.

I actually took some video of Mexico Beach a while back. Have to find it and process it one of these days.