The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 01-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default SS braided fuel lines

I finally pulled all of the rubber lined stainless steel braided fuel lines off of my car and replaced them all with teflon (PTFE) fuel lines. Before pulling the old fuel lines out, I used a UV light to take a look at the old fuel lines. On the driver's side of the car in the below video, the top line is the fuel line. The bottom two are oil lines running to and from the STS turbos.

In the video, the front of the car is to the right. The passenger side fuel line runs to the back of the passenger side fuel rail from the pump and fuel filter. The driver's side is coming back from the return of the fuel pressure regulator back to the fuel pump.

As you can see from the UV light making the leaked gasoline on the outside of the ss braids, that style hose does NOT contain the gasoline inside very well. My suggestion is to NOT use the rubber lined stuff for modern fuels. I'm thinking I was driving a potential flaming torch down the road with that stuff. All it would have taken is a spark. And the stink of gasoline I used to smell whenever I walked into the garage is now GONE completely. PTFE fuel line is really not hard to work with, and has nothing but benefits over that cheaper rubber lined stuff.

I know I'm breathing a sigh of relief now, not having to worry about my car going up in a big ball of flame. Well, at least not from THIS particular problem.