The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 07-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #11
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Well, that's good to hear. I understand that there is still a problem with the TAC modules, as they have been on backorder from GM for over a year now, and no source so far forthcoming. So I am getting concerned that some of the specialty electronics in these cars may simply become unavailable in the near future.
Unread 07-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #12
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

Planned obsolescence I guess..........!
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #13
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

With the original GM OEM unit, it looks like the entire electronics package, battery and
all, is encapsulated in something that looks like dark epoxy, making the battery
completely impossible to get at. Even if you could hack your way in there, I don't
think you could repair it enough to withstand all that centrifugal force. I think that
an aftermarket sensor or a GM OEM unit would help to get rid of the worries, and that
the cost of doing the replacements (Corvette Tax) would be kept down if done when the tires
are replaced.
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #14
2Vettes

Name :
2Vettes is on a distinguished road

Thanks! guess I'll look into replacing the sensors. I'll have to look at my paperwork as I know I have already replaced some of them
Unread 07-03-2012, 08:47 AM   #15
als2052
Road Trip!

Name :
als2052 is on a distinguished road

House of Wheels on the east coast sells them pretty cheap...
Unread 01-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #16
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road
Default C5 TPMS XXX

Hey guys, finally got to take "Peek" on a bit of a road trip. For those that don't know "Peek" is an 03 Z06 with just 21K miles. I have installed TPMS and the computer has been flashed as well. This was done a while ago and I love it. Rich427 was kinda my guide along with several of my friends here and I thank all of you.

The TPMS units I choose to use are made by Orange Electronics out of Portland, Or.

Ok back to the story. On my road trip today (only a few hundred miles) I was able to bring speeds up to the 120 range just a few times (damn what a beautiful handling ride) then I get a dash message saying check the TPMS system and my rear TPMS for both tires are reading xxx. Then a bit later in the trip the front tells me the same thing and reads xxx.

All tires are fine as is the air pressure in each but both now read xxx Has anyone else run into this?

No I have not run any codes as yet. I'll do that in a couple of days and the system would not simply reset. WTH?
Unread 01-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #17
Rich427
'69 Vert/'01 Vert/'04 Z16

Name :
Rich427 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap142 View Post
Hey guys, finally got to take "Peek" on a bit of a road trip. For those that don't know "Peek" is an 03 Z06 with just 21K miles. I have installed TPMS and the computer has been flashed as well. This was done a while ago and I love it. Rich427 was kinda my guide along with several of my friends here and I thank all of you.

The TPMS units I choose to use are made by Orange Electronics out of Portland, Or.

Ok back to the story. On my road trip today (only a few hundred miles) I was able to bring speeds up to the 120 range just a few times (damn what a beautiful handling ride) then I get a dash message saying check the TPMS system and my rear TPMS for both tires are reading xxx. Then a bit later in the trip the front tells me the same thing and reads xxx.

All tires are fine as is the air pressure in each but both now read xxx Has anyone else run into this?

No I have not run any codes as yet. I'll do that in a couple of days and the system would not simply reset. WTH?
Hey Ken,

The only time I have experienced the xxx reading for the tire pressure is when the sensors have died and are no longer talking to the on board computer.

I don't know anything about Orange Electronics or their sensors. I have always used the over the counter GM sensors. I put them in my '04 Z06 CE in 2006 and have not had any issues. A couple years ago, the OEM sensors finally went bad on my '01 vert and I replaced them with the over the counter OEM sensors and I have not had a problem since.

My only suggestions is to contact Orange Electronics with your problem. If they sold you new sensors, they should not have gone bad this soon.

Good luck!
Rich

2014 Z51 7 Speed Convertible
Laguna Blue/Grey/Grey
Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 12:43 PM   #18
Kap142

Name :

Update.

No codes
Per local shop tech with his tech tool. None of the sensors are talking to the on board computer. He suspects that the high speeds caused the sensors to come loose and break up.

I guess 120 (give or take a little) scared um to death.

Tech says he believes that when a tire is broken down the TPMS sensor will be found to be almost "dust".

Will figure the next step when I talk to Driven Parts who supplied the Orange sensors.
Unread 01-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #19
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Looks like tire breakdowns are in your future just to determine what is going on. Driven Parts likely won't do a darn thing without looking at the sensors themselves. And certainly even if they are at fault, more than likely won't cover the cost of the wheel and tire labor.
Unread 01-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #20
Kap142

Name :

Here we go again. At the direction of DP I went to a McGee Tire and had the sensors read by a Bartech tool. Results were no reading from any of the four sensors. Resets and relearns were not successful. Finally a Solus Pro scanner was used to scan the TPMS and showed codes C2100, C2105, C2110 and C2115 which read each TPM sensor showing failure.

Guess I scared the durn things to death.

Anything else that could be the cause other then the sensors as far as you can figure?