The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 12-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #11
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road

Wow Pat (Blu2K) I am not really crazy about front screens but the way you cut the holes and prep'd the area makes me really like it. The hole saw looks so totally professional and so subtle. Very cool and very professional.
Unread 12-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #12
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLU2K View Post
I am taking care of this to get you the screen plate you want.

I took a three inch hole saw and just drilled three holes in my bumper.
I then removed it and painted the area with flat black.

Thank you.

Notice how that molding around the edges looks more professional and aesthetically compatible with the other screened areas on the front of the car. That is the look I am interested in for my car.

Also, the black that you see through the holes you cut is a panel that helps funnel the air from the air dam underneath to the radiator. Did you have to cut that to allow the incoming air to reach the radiator itself? Or was this strictly for an aftermarket air intake filter going to the throttle body? I don't have that radiator panel on my car, because the STS turbos intercooler sits there instead. So I don't have that particular issue to address in my case. Matter of fact, the air inlet filters are back hidden between the trunk area and the rear taillights on my car. But providing cooler air to the intercooler as well as the radiator should be beneficial, I think.
Unread 12-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #13
Rich Z

BTW, just a note on the importance of trying to cool down the incoming air charge AND the engine coolant temperature:
Quote:
The PCM blends IAT (intake air temp) and ECT (engine coolant temp) to calculate the temp of the air entering the cylinders....
Unread 12-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #14
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road

Rich, For a non turbo car with a stock LS6 engine should the motor be getting more fresh air. Of course what I'm really asking is what improvement would I see,feel if I did a similar modification?
Unread 12-30-2012, 08:19 PM   #15
Benjamin

Name : BENJAMIN LONG SR.
Benjamin is on a distinguished road

I 100% agree with you. I'd be pissed too. Seems they are making it right though....
Unread 12-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #16
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap142 View Post
Rich, For a non turbo car with a stock LS6 engine should the motor be getting more fresh air. Of course what I'm really asking is what improvement would I see,feel if I did a similar modification?
Well, cool air and cool gasoline makes for a denser mix in the cylinders. Cooler heads via the coolant system also helps in this regard. A denser mix of air and gasoline in the cylinders would tend to produce more power. Heck, that's what forced induction does via mechanical means. Force more air into the cylinders, which means increasing the fuel supply from the injectors for a proper AFR mixture. There is a reason that forced induction upgrades always include bigger injectors. That is also the purpose behind the intercooler itself. To cool down the air charge. So pretty much everything points to cooler being better when talking about air coming into the engine.

I've been looking at the PCM tables quite a bit lately, not to mention I can see when that intermittent IAT sensor glitch hits and tells the PCM that my incoming air temps are way high, that the PCM reacts accordingly by pulling timing, and also enriching the air/fuel ratio in an effort to try to keep the cylinders cool. Both of those changes will help reduce cylinder temps, but also reduce power as a result. Heck, one of the tricks back in the good old days was to put a cool-can with ice in it on the fuel line to cool down the fuel right before it hit the carburetor to help increase fuel density and subsequent power. Basically when tuning a car for power, you increase the timing until you start getting the knock sensors screaming, and then you back off a couple of degrees. Cooler air and cooler fuel will allow you more timing advance without getting knock. Heck, that's the reason for higher octane gasoline as well. To reduce knock, which is why you tend to get better performance out of higher octane gasoline.

Now take this all with a grain of salt, of course. There will always be a practical limit to the amount you can advance timing on an engine. This is actually quite a complex topic in it's own right, and I'm still a newbie on the learning curve.

Now, will you see a seat of the pants difference with this front license plate mod? Beats me. But I can't see any way that it could hurt your performance. In my case, I've got the intercooler smack dab in front of my radiator. So I'm thinking the cooler the air hitting the intercooler, the cooler the air will be when it gets THROUGH the intercooler to the radiator.
Unread 01-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #17
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap142 View Post
Ken, btw, look at the design of the front ends for the C6s. Seems GM opened up the front to allow more cool air into the engine compartment through the radiator. Maybe there was a reason for this design change?

In any event, the latest status I got on my screened license plate cover was that I should have it by the end of the week. Apparently the outfit who is making it had to order the correct screen. Sounds to me like they might have been making screens for a while using a different mesh and weave. So I'm the first one to get one of these and notice the difference?

But apparently I'm not getting the black molding around the opening.
Attached Images

Unread 01-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #18
shakedown067
Sinister C4

Name : Eric G
shakedown067 is on a distinguished road

The front area of the C6 is not only for cooling but downforce. A lot of research was done from the Corvette Racing team to redevelop the frontal area of the C6 (and luckily why we no longer have flip-up headlights).

I did this mod on my C4...just had John at AutoXTC custom make one for me.

Not sure if the C5 is the same, but you'll want to make sure the bumper is enclosed with what ever opening you make...other wise it will cause lift at high speeds.

This is the massive hole I cut, before boxing in the opening, therefore making sure the air goes straight into the engine bay versus throughout the bumper area.
shakedown067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #19
Rich Z

From what I can see the intercooler for the turbos sits directly in back of that opening I will be making. If I remember correctly, it's also slanted backwards slightly so incoming air should impart somewhat of a down force on the fins.

I'm wondering if getting some sort of extractor hood might be a good idea? I mean, yeah, bringing IN more cool air is the goal, but how does the air get out of the engine compartment once it's forced in there? The air inlets on my car for the engine are located in BACK of my car, not under the hood. So I've not got anything under the hood to pull air out of the engine compartment.

Since I've got those paint cracks on the hood where Aaron Scott dropped the hood on the air bridge, I've got a paint job in my future sooner or later. And I might want to consider getting a new hood with more clearance at that point anyway.

But truth be known, it's not likely I'm going to be trying to hit 200 mph in the car.

At least AutoXTC used decent looking mesh and took the time and effort to make the mesh STRAIGHT across the opening. It looks like you had to do quite a bit of cutting to get the airflow into your engine compartment.
Unread 01-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #20
shakedown067
Sinister C4

Name : Eric G
shakedown067 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, lots of cutting and then finding decent materials to box in the bumper (1/4" plastic sheets). One day I'll cut out that useless brace in front of the air box too.

You've certainly got a lot of choices for hoods for the C5. Fiberglass, carbon fiber, vents, hi-rises, etc. Getting heat out is certainly a good thing!
shakedown067 is offline   Reply With Quote