The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 05-29-2006, 02:51 AM   #21
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

I guess people born and raised in a warm climate just don't know the pleasures of living in cold country:
  • Like being a kid standing in line waiting for the school bus and it's 16 degrees out. And one of your "friends" flicks your nearly frozen earlobe.
  • Your face is so cold that you don't even know your nose is running because your upper lip is numb.
  • Ever lick an icecube and have your tongue stick to it? Well when it is REALLY cold and your hand is moist, it will stick to metal objects like hand rails. On some cold nights, you will REALLY regret not having gloves when you stop for gasoline and grab that pump handle.
  • The hairs inside your nose can freeze to the inside of your nostrils.
  • Sometimes the air can be warmer then the ground and rain will instantly freeze upon hitting the road surface. Sometimes the ground is just barely warm enough to be wet, and then an instant later the wet road is ice. Nothing like spiraling down a roadway doing 360s and absolutely NOTHING you can do about it.
  • Snow looks great in photos. After about 10 minutes of shovelling, it doesn't look so great any longer.
  • For some reason, the road departments use salt to help melt ice and snow on the roads. Ice and metals don't mix well. Parts of your car, being metal, don't last long when splashed with salt water frequently.
  • Some people go insane when it snows or the roads ice up. I have seen people just barely able to walk to their cars without slipping on the ice get into them and then try to drive like they thought the cars would get more traction then their feet are getting.
  • No matter how careful you are driving there will be 10 other vehicles around you whose drivers are less careful and likely to lose control of their vehicles at any moment. The most common cause of an accident is when someone feels their steering getting loose because they are on ice and they slam on the brakes in panic. If they are able to stop or slow down, you, being behind them, probably won't be able to. If they are beside you, there is a good chance that their car will start spinning the rear towards the side of your vehicle. Your skill will be no match for bad luck and fate.
  • What might normally be a 15 minute drive home from work could wind up taking you 4 or more hours in a major snow or ice storm.

The last few years I lived in Maryland, I had a full sized 4WD Bronco. This was REAL 4 wheel drive as I had limited slip differentials front and rear. Even with that, and some rather aggressive tires, there were still a few instances where the roads were SO slick and I was on a slight incline that I just could not move at all. I had to find alternate routes that were more level. The biggest problem was getting around other vehicles that were STUCK but good.

Honestly, I don't miss that crap even one little bit. I haven't seen snow (except maybe a couple of flakes a couple of times) in about 15 years and have absolutely NO desire to ever see it again as long as I live.
Unread 05-29-2006, 09:18 AM   #22
jonnyboy
race behind ur dads back

Name :
jonnyboy has disabled reputation

man last time i was in colorado i luved the weather. no humidity, nice cool weather. and it was in july. and with the altitude and the blood thinning everyone was nicer up there. if u bumped into someone you didnt have to worry about getting ur butt wooped.
jonnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2006, 01:05 PM   #23
9T8Vette
Been around for awhile

Name :
9T8Vette is on a distinguished road

My parents moved us here in 1973 .1 year later we moved back north to Indy and we went through the blizzard of 78. My folks said the hell with this, we moved back to Sarasota and been here every since. The wife and i do own a home in the mountains in North Carolina . That place is awesome in the summer .But would suck not being able to drive the vette. My road to the house requires SUV or Pickup. So i'm here in Florida until a huge Hurricane wipes out my area

Last edited by 9T8Vette; 06-05-2006 at 06:24 PM.
9T8Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2006, 04:07 PM   #24
Airwolf

Name :
Airwolf has disabled reputation

Moved here with my parents in 78 and just stayed... Love the weather, but hate how flat it is. I guess you can't have both unless I move to Hawaii!!
My Z06 Website

175 Shot NX Direct Port, FAST Manifold, Vararam, SuperMaxx LT's, Halltech CF Air Bridge, XER Comp Cam (224/230 .581/.592 114), 918 Springs, Ti Retainers, P/P TB, Norris Tuned, 178 Thermo, Hurst Shifter, LapTrax, Racetronix FP, Nitto Drag Radials (305/35/18), DTE Diff Brace, Tex Clutch, LPE Output Shafts, QA1 Shocks, LM-1 and other goodies....
Airwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2006, 06:21 PM   #25
pewter99
This place cracks me up

Name :
pewter99 is on a distinguished road

native Floridian
pewter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2006, 06:27 PM   #26
Yellow

Name :
Yellow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewter99
native Floridian
Me Too
Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2006, 04:55 PM   #27
Coastal

Name :
Coastal is on a distinguished road

We’ve been visiting for about 10 years. We have been looking for a place to have a second home and eventually move permanently. We considered a few places in Florida as well as Hilton Head and Grand Cayman. We decided on the Naples area two years ago and contracted to build a house that we will close on (hopefully) tomorrow. We have to wail till our daughter graduates HS (07) till we could make any permanent move.
Unread 06-12-2006, 05:53 PM   #28
Purerock105

Name :
Purerock105 is on a distinguished road

Employment Cox Radio -- Tampa Bay
Purerock105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2006, 12:06 PM   #29
EB-Z

Name :
EB-Z is on a distinguished road

Born in Tampa, raised & lived in the Ft. Lauderdale area for 30 yrs, and then made the escape to Jax. 10 years ago!
I'm convinced that i'm finally home.
EB-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2006, 07:27 PM   #30
Charlie882

Name :
Charlie882 has disabled reputation

Parents decided to move to Florida in 1991. I was only ten at the time, so didn't have much say in the matter. Can't complain though, life has been pretty good in Florida so far

I actually went to visit relatives in upstate New York back in December 04. Plenty of snow on the ground and can't say I missed living in it. I figure it is easier to go visit it when I want than have to deal with it on a daily basis for five to six months.
Charlie882 is offline   Reply With Quote