The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Performance Tuning

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Performance Tuning Beginner and advanced tuning | Tools of the trade

Unread 07-24-2013, 02:19 AM   #31
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

I'd heard from someone else that the Sunoco on Woodville Highway dropped the 93. I'm told he does have 112 race gas though.....
Unread 07-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #32
Benjamin

Name : BENJAMIN LONG SR.
Benjamin is on a distinguished road

use hairspray on the silicon connections with the T-bolt clamps and they won't pop off. Diesel guys use that trick as it lubes the silicon connectors to east installation and dries and acts as an adhesive. I've had my boost up to 52psi and blown the couplers off the intercooler multiple times until I used hairspray. once I get my compounds plumbed and all, each connection will be connected using hairspray and I expect to see 75-80psi with that setup
Unread 07-24-2013, 10:54 AM   #33
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
use hairspray on the silicon connections with the T-bolt clamps and they won't pop off. Diesel guys use that trick as it lubes the silicon connectors to east installation and dries and acts as an adhesive. I've had my boost up to 52psi and blown the couplers off the intercooler multiple times until I used hairspray. once I get my compounds plumbed and all, each connection will be connected using hairspray and I expect to see 75-80psi with that setup
Yes, I remember you telling me that a while back. My concern is that the hairspray may set too quickly, though. I have to fiddle with the airbridge and couplers to get it lined up properly, and that sometimes takes a few minutes to get it right. So how much time do I have, or is that dependent on the brand of hairspray I steal from Connie? Some of the stuff she has is pretty potent stuff!
Unread 07-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #34
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
I'd heard from someone else that the Sunoco on Woodville Highway dropped the 93. I'm told he does have 112 race gas though.....
I don't think I need to be using the 112 octane stuff. Besides, I'm hoping I will be able to trust the car enough to take it on longer drives eventually. So in that case I will have to be using the ethanol contaminated gasoline. After giving it some thought, it's just going to be better off if I complete the tuning using the crap gasoline. If I do find some non-ethanol gasoline here and there, it won't be as bad a deal using it now and again.

Whatever happened with the rumor going around that Florida was going to block the federal requirement that gas stations MUST only offer the ethanol gasoline?
Unread 07-25-2013, 01:11 AM   #35
85vette

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Whatever happened with the rumor going around that Florida was going to block the federal requirement that gas stations MUST only offer the ethanol gasoline?
I understand that the Governor has removed the mandate, but it's up to the individual stations as to what they'll carry. Hopefully they'll figure out that the consumers want ethanol-free gas. But I'm concerned that they will keep buying the crap gas just because it cost them less.
Unread 07-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #36
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
I understand that the Governor has removed the mandate, but it's up to the individual stations as to what they'll carry. Hopefully they'll figure out that the consumers want ethanol-free gas. But I'm concerned that they will keep buying the crap gas just because it cost them less.
Yeah, I hear that. Most times money is the only thing some people pay any attention to. I guess if more people were willing to pay the premium for quality we wouldn't be owned by China right now.

Anyway, Connie and I spent a couple of hours over in the garage putting the airbridge back on. I took off the notch on the MAF housing so the airbridge fits better on it, and used the firmer 4 to 3.5 inch coupler between the throttle body and the aluminum pipe I put into the north end of the airbridge. The ways I thought would be easier to put that all back in didn't work out like I had hoped. There is ONLY one way it will go back together that I can figure out, and even that was a bit of a struggle. But it's together. If the rains ever let up, I need to take it out for a short drive to get the airbridge nice and hot and then tighten down the T-bolt clamps again so it will form around MAF housing again. I decided to hold off on using the hairspray trick to see how it goes. I was afraid the hairspray would set before I had everything together and then I'd have a devil of a time getting it back apart again if I needed to.

Heck, I hope I remember to hook up the MAF/IAT cable before I take the car out. I just remembered that it's still disconnected.
Unread 07-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #37
Benjamin

Name : BENJAMIN LONG SR.
Benjamin is on a distinguished road

that is a good question, Normally it aides in helping the connectors slip over each other. I soaked mine when I did them and they stayed maneuverable for a couple minutes as I aligned all the piping. being that the hair spray is trapped between the coupler and the plastic or metal tube, it does not evaporate as fast as if it were sprayed on hair.
Unread 07-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #38
Rich Z

Yeah, that makes sense. I suppose if I have continual problems with the couplers, that will be my next step with the hairspray. I have to admit that I'm a bit concerned with REALLY cranking down on the clamp that attaches the south end of the airbridge to the front of the MAF sensor. That part of the MAF sensor housing is only plastic, so I don't know how flexible it may become when hot. I sure don't want to crush it out of shape. At least not until I can figure out a way to do without the MAF housing being there at all.
Unread 08-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #39
Rich Z

Finally was able to take the car out today, so I ran to a Chevron station and filled the gas tank up with 93 octane E10. I had just over a quarter tank of the non-ethanol gas remaining when I got there.

I was doing some data logging and noted that the AFR was showing rather lean, which I expected since you have to set the AFR ratio for E10 (10 percent ethanol gasoline) to approximately 14.13. E0 (zero percent ethanol) gasoline is usually set for 14.63. Anyway, it was showing it was running a bit lean, so I found a place to pull over and adjusted my tune accordingly. Since I still had about 25 percent non-ethanol gasoline in the tank when I filled it up, I set the AFR to 14.20 to compensate.

The data collected during the logging wasn't too far off from being what it needed to be, but then again I wasn't pushing the engine into boost, since I had also put on the new coupler a few days ago, and needed to re-tighten the clamps with the airbridge hot and more pliable. So I didn't want to run the risk of blowing the airbridge off by running up into boost quite yet. But I can see I'm going to have to make more runs to collect data to dial in the VE table somewhat.

Just in case anyone is interested, the philosophy behind tuning the fueling appears to be to set the AFR ratio for the blend of gasoline being used, and in the case with my car, set the values in table B3647 to tell the PCM what I want the AFR to be. The data logging uses the wideband O2 sensor to determine what the AFR actually IS and compares that against what the COMMANDED AFR (via table B3647) is and gives a difference in lambda. A value of 1.00 indicates that the wideband is detecting an AFR equal to what the commanded AFR is supposed to be. An AFR greater than 1.00 indicates that the mixture is lean, and the AFR lower than 1.00 is rich. Multiplying that lambda value to the comparable cells in the VE table (B0101) will then adjust that table accordingly. Multiplying a cell by a value greater than 1.00 tells the table that the cell should actually be larger, so more fuel is needed to bring the value DOWN to where it needs to be. Multiplying a cell by a value less than one tells the table that the cell needs to be smaller, so LESS fuel is needed. Have to kind of think about this using negative logic.

The place where I find this comparison data to determine the difference between commanded and actual AFR is a map file in the scanning software that is filled with data during data logging. Each cell is referenced via manifold vacuum/pressure on one axis and engine RPM on the other axis.

Leaner values in the map indicate that the corresponding VE table cell needs more fuel, so by making the cell value larger, that tells the PCM to give a longer squirt (more) of fuel.

Richer values in the map indicate that the corresponding VE table cell needs less fuel, so by making the cell value smaller, that tells the PCM to give a shorter squirt (less) of fuel.
Unread 08-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #40
85vette

Name :

You have learned a lot during this ordeal Rich.