The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 08-22-2019, 01:28 AM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Atlantic tropical storm development - Late August, 2019

Or lack thereof...

I was checking in on Ventusky today to see if anything was developing that might be a concern in the near future and noticed something rather interesting.

It looks to me that what used to be normally storms coming off of the African coast into the eastern Atlantic, developing into tropical waves, and sometimes strengthening into more serious matters is being blocked for the near future.

Take a look -> https://www.ventusky.com/?p=26.3;-57.4;3&l=rain-3h

Interesting, eh?

I've never seen something like this at this time of year before. Normally you could see those tropical waves coming off of the African coast one after another, just crossing your fingers that they won't develop into a hurricane that comes barreling down onto the USA coastline somewhere.

Not to say something can't blow up directly in the Gulf of Mexico or anywhere in the western Atlantic, however.

At least I got my standby generator working, finally. Just in case.
Unread 08-22-2019, 01:19 PM   #2
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

I check a couple times a week the hurricane center .So far it has been duck soup and caviar .The locals say not to get comfortable because September October can hammer the west coast pretty hard .

I am prepared with both supplies and optional evacuation routes .

Gives me great confidence in the fact some insurance claims have not been settled from Katrina
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2019, 05:26 PM   #3
Rich Z

Heck, I would suspect that some insurance claims from hurricane Charley in 2004 are still in litigation. Or the people filing the claims just gave up and paid out of pocket rather than foot the bill for the attorney fees they would need to pay. IMHO.
Unread 08-22-2019, 07:05 PM   #4
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

I have a bad feeling something will happen in the gulf like last year. Maybe mid Sept thru Mid Oct.
CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2019, 08:24 PM   #5
Rich Z

Well, I've got the standby generator fixed, so I don't have to worry about the freezer thawing out while we bail out somewhere more weather friendly. It's got 35 percent of a 500 gallon tank of propane left, so it should last for several days as needed. Of course, if we got a direct hit from a cat 5 like Mexico Beach did, it really wouldn't matter much.

After seeing what happened to Mexico Beach, I've got no interest in riding out a storm. Anyone who stayed in those houses to tough it out most likely had parts of their body scattered over an acre or more.
Unread 08-22-2019, 09:00 PM   #6
vett boy

Name :

Was serious about a house in Marathon just before the seven mile bridge .The Realtor called me and said it wasn't there anymore .I don't know if that was a blessing or not .
Unread 08-23-2019, 12:45 AM   #7
Rich Z

I sure wouldn't want to be on the Keys, or own any structure on it, during a major hurricane passing through. There is nothing there to weaken a hurricane enough to matter. Storm surge could completely wash over every island there.

Will insurance companies even cover any home there?
Unread 08-23-2019, 06:16 AM   #8
vett boy

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
I sure wouldn't want to be on the Keys, or own any structure on it, during a major hurricane passing through. There is nothing there to weaken a hurricane enough to matter. Storm surge could completely wash over every island there.

Will insurance companies even cover any home there?
At the time there we're two companies that would provide coverage .I've bought ,sold and flipped four properties on a poppers scale over the past fifteen years .My goal is to locate in the mid keys hopefully on a hill.
Unread 08-23-2019, 10:38 AM   #9
Rich Z

Heck, is there anywhere on the Keys that would not be underwater with even a 10 ft. storm surge?
Unread 08-23-2019, 10:57 AM   #10
vett boy

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Heck, is there anywhere on the Keys that would not be underwater with even a 10 ft. storm surge?
Yes ,the parking garage off Duval st ,2nd floor .

Hell I'm 8 feet here in Ft Myers .We wear life jackets when we go to the movies and sit up high .

Hurricanes are a hazard for most of Florida and the Keys are certainly not the best place to hang out during a cat 5 .Every time I go down I am amazed at the structures that we're built in the early 1900's and are still standing .