The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Corvette Clubs > Cruisin' Corvettes of Tallahassee

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Cruisin' Corvettes of Tallahassee A place for members and potential members to discuss upcoming or past activities, plan get togethers and cruise or just socialize.

Unread 05-17-2007, 01:00 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Local vette work in Tallahassee?

Where do you all get your work done on your vettes in the Tallahassee area? Just minor stuff. I'm thinking I want to switch over to the Royal Purple brand motor oil, but not sure I want to go to Pep Boys to have them do it. And I'm not sure the Champion Chevy will be real keen on my bringing in my own oil for them to change for me.

DIY is not an option as I have no way to lift the car, much less want to do it myself anyway. Guess I've just gotten lazy in my old age and don't care to be crawling underneath my car.

Also, when it comes time to get my C5Z repainted, who would you recommend locally?

Thanks!
Unread 07-02-2007, 12:51 PM   #2
JCswm

Name :
JCswm is on a distinguished road

I used to be one of the Corvette techs at University Chevy... lots of customers brought there own parts/oil.... it's not a problem

As far as paint, I've seen a few of the cars done at Competition auto on Orange Rd... Top notch work.... a little pricey but who else guarantees paint jobs for life???

JCswm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2007, 01:14 PM   #3
Rich Z

Thanks for the info. I'm figuring on getting the car repainted in a year or two. Still have a few spots on my hood WITHOUT rock chips yet....
Unread 07-02-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCswm
I used to be one of the Corvette techs at University Chevy... lots of customers brought there own parts/oil.... it's not a problem

As far as paint, I've seen a few of the cars done at Competition auto on Orange Rd... Top notch work.... a little pricey but who else guarantees paint jobs for life???

Not to change the subject, but when I spoke with the service advisor at University Chevrolet about the timing chain on my Vette, I was told they would not do the work unless I bought the parts from them?!
85vette is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2007, 02:25 PM   #5
JCswm

Name :
JCswm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette
Not to change the subject, but when I spoke with the service advisor at University Chevrolet about the timing chain on my Vette, I was told they would not do the work unless I bought the parts from them?!

That's strange.... we used to do it all the time. most shops do

JCswm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2007, 03:03 PM   #6
Rich Z

I've talked to a service writer about this issue. It's a dilemma for them. If you bring in your own parts, say a timing chain, and it fails two months later, who is going to eat the labor for another replacement? The place you bought the timing chain from might warranty the part, but that won't include the labor that the dealer does. If you could prove the failure was caused by improper installation by the dealer, well yeah, you might have a case, but it would be a tough one to prove.

So looking it from the perspective of the dealer, they run the likelihood of pissing off a customer doing this sort of work, so probably the safest thing to do is to avoid it whenever possible. Or at the very least, for dealers willing to accommodate this sort of request, to make sure that the customer understands the ground rules up front.
Unread 07-23-2007, 12:21 AM   #7
faststuff

Name :
faststuff has disabled reputation
Default Competition Body and Paint.

Hey..someone mentioned Competition Body and Paint. I've done business with them 3 times the past 2 years.. Minor body work repair with respray. They did a great job all 3 times, but it was not on my vette, but on a Volvo XC90 and Sierra Denali. I will continue to use them if folks continue to sideswipe or key my vehicles! Beware of the college kids in Tallahassee as they hit and run! Not that adults don't do that too...
faststuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2007, 09:46 AM   #8
JasonZO6
2003 Corvette ZO6

Name :
JasonZO6 has disabled reputation

I didn't have work done on the 'vette but I did use Body Builders Paint and Body over on Industrial drive (Capital Circle NE) for some work on my wife's Buick Rainier. It was insurance work, but it was done within three days and the paint looked perfect, couldn't even tell where it had been dented. I highly recommend them...
JasonZO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2007, 12:03 PM   #9
Rich Z

Thanks! I'm thinking about getting the C5Z painted in the next year or two. Getting tired of seeing those rock chips on the hood and some scratches the previous owner put on the quarter panels and fenders.
Unread 08-13-2007, 04:55 PM   #10
Rich427
'69 Vert/'01 Vert/'04 Z16

Name :
Rich427 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Thanks! I'm thinking about getting the C5Z painted in the next year or two. Getting tired of seeing those rock chips on the hood and some scratches the previous owner put on the quarter panels and fenders.
Hey Rich,

Inquiring minds want to know, ...at least I do, what are you plans for the paint job? Repaint of the original color? New color change all together? ...wait a minute, I got it, ...FLAMES! Yea, how about the natural flames, they look great! ...Ok, maybe a little over the top, but how about one or two shades lighter than the base color for some GHOST FLAMES?!?!

Details Rich, we need details, ...at least I do.

2014 Z51 7 Speed Convertible
Laguna Blue/Grey/Grey
Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote