The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 08-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #1781
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakedown067 View Post
Fantastic news. Want to REALLY know what's in your oil? For $25 you can find out via Blackstone Labs. I still need to send mine in from my last oil change. Just fill out the form and you'll get the test kit in about a week.
I may try that.

Thanks!
Unread 08-03-2012, 02:02 PM   #1782
Rich Z

Well, the car is back in the garage. When Connie and I got out to Champion Chevrolet, my car was up on the lift and Shane handed me a flashlight so I could inspect everything. He pointed out a couple of things that he said I might want to dress up somewhat but he already did most of that work and had it looking pretty good. Everything looked in good order, so he got the car off of the lift, and I got behind the wheel for a test drive.

That new clutch works really nice. Pretty much like a stock clutch on letoff from a dead stop, and gear shifts are really smooth. I had no complaints whatsoever and figured maybe we have a winner here. So I paid the bill and headed on home with it with Connie following behind, just in case.

Seriously, the car drives REALLY nice now. No mysterious noises coming from the drivetrain, no odd feeling to the clutch engagement, and a subtle vibration that used to be there around 1800 to 2200 rpm seems to be gone. Matter of fact, I have to admit that the drivetrain sounds better than it did before I drove the car into Chris Harwood's shop many moons ago. There used to be an annoying rattle and vibration between shifts most of the time, and that seems to be completely gone now. Once I got used to the clutch, it seems effortless to use. Engages smoothly from a dead stop, and the car pulls up to speed without any apparent lugging, hesitation or odd groaning noises that I used to hear.

Quite honestly, I'm impressed. I think Shane did an exceptional job of fixing this problem for me and obviously went above and beyond what the job would have really required from the dealership's perspective from one of their techs. Based on what I experienced on the drive home, I honestly could not have wished for anything more. Man, thanks Shane for helping me out with this. I know people were ragging on you for taking on this car, and honestly you were my only hope of getting this done locally. I really appreciate your taking this on and bucking that "don't want to get involved" attitude that seems to be rampant around this area lately concerning me and my car.

Oh, Shane did tell me that a few of the bolt holes for the headers in the heads have gotten buggered up a bit by the work done prior to the car getting into his hands. They are fine for now, and holding, but I really should not be planning to be taking the headers on and off very often if I don't want things to get worse. And I can't recall if I mentioned it before, but yes, those two bolts holding the bell housing to the engine block were, in fact, missing, as I surmised.

And I also did not hear anything disconcerting from the engine neither, so maybe the increased endplay of the crankshaft is just a non issue.

Ah well, hopefully I've finally got my car back in driveable condition. Lordy I do hope so...
Unread 08-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #1783
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

HAL-A-FREAKIN-LUIA! That would be SWEET if all of the gremlins have been taken care of!
Way to go Shane as well!
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #1784
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road

Very awsome news and update Rich. May the roads ahead be smooth and all the thunder be from the C5Z.
Unread 08-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #1785
CorvetteJohn
Deceased

Name : John Robinson
CorvetteJohn is on a distinguished road

Get that camera out and take us for a ride. I'll bet it turns heads when your driving it down the street with what it sounds like. Don't be surprised if you get someone doing what happened to my dad with his 60 vette. While setting at a light with the top down a kid on the sidewalk yelled at him "get on it grandpa" well in your case maybe not the grandpa part. Up until this I thought that an elephant had the longest pregnancy before delivering it's baby.
CorvetteJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #1786
shakedown067
Sinister C4

Name : Eric G
shakedown067 is on a distinguished road

Fantastic news! Hope you finally get to actually enjoy the car!
shakedown067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #1787
Rich Z

Thanks guys. I'm hoping this feeling of having that huge weight off of my shoulders isn't temporary like the last time I felt like this. It gets tiresome getting knocked to the ground over and over again. I truly hope I never have to post another "look what I found done wrong NOW" reply here again.
Unread 08-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #1788
ironhorse
Road Warrior

Name :
ironhorse is on a distinguished road

Hey Rich, wow, that's some great news...Bravo, we have a winner tech at last, good work Shane!...
ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #1789
Rich Z

Got the car up on the rack today and just poked around looking at stuff.

Shane mentioned that I need to get the oil feed line going to the junction that feeds oil to the turbos up off or the driver's side exhaust pipe. I had tried wrapping it with a black convoluted mesh tubing a while back, but it obviously could not take the heat and melted. So Shane suggested putting in a hanger to pull the braided hose line up and away from the exhaust pipe. So I did that today. Also pulled off that black plastic and ran the silver high temp stuff I had around it. Also wrapped the smaller lines coming from the junction with the high temp stuff as well.

But I think I would like to relocate that oil line stuff all over again, since it looks pretty funky. Chris Harwood apparently moved it to bit around the Aeromotive fuel pump he put back there, but now that the pump is gone, I'd like to dress it up a little bit better sometime. Then Aaron Scott put in the steel braided main oil lines for me, both coming from the oil pan, and then going back to the scavenge pump. But I don't have any idea what sort of fittings those are going into and coming out of that "T" junction to the turbos themselves.

I'm thinking it is going to be a mess pulling those lines off and having oil spilling out of them. Maybe I could just get a straight AN fitting to replace that angled one and make do with the others. Well, no, I can't, because one of them runs right through a rubber tail pipe hanger. So I'm going to have to pull off one end of that side, regardless.

Anyone have any idea what kind of fittings those brass ones are? And how they come apart and what I would need to do to shorten the braided lines? I've put AN fittings on the fuel lines, but I'm not sure how these things work.

And is that AN fitting an adapter of some sort to tie into that brass "T" fitting? That looks like an AN -6 line going into the back of the "T" junction. Not sure what size the feed lines are. I'd rather order the stuff ahead of time rather than take it all apart and then try to figure it all out.

Anyway, it was refreshing to look underneath my car after bringing it home from a shop and not have to deal with all kinds of crap left hanging underneath there haphazardly. Shane did a real good job putting everything back together again and in place they way it all should be. I've just got to do some minor positioning of the tail pipes, since one is slightly lower than the other side, but no big deal.

Been raining every day, so I haven't had it out for a drive since bringing it back home. Maybe the monsoons will go away some day soon and I can get that new clutch broken in...
Unread 08-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #1790
vetteguy61

Name : Mike Elmore
vetteguy61 has disabled reputation

Hi Rich, Glad to see you finally got your car back. Sounds like Shane did a great job getting it fixed. Now maybe we can go to Silver Springs in Nov. I get my car back this Thursday. So far no reduced power the past 2 weeks of Clint driving it every day. Maybe our saga is finally over!!!
vetteguy61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
427, aaron scott, chris harwood, rhs block, south georgia corvette, xtrememotorsports