The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > General BS forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General BS forum I guess this will be for anything that would seem to be off topic in any other forum here. Just general shootin' the breeze kind of topics.

Unread 06-12-2006, 02:17 PM   #21
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow
This is the only reason I never moved to the Panhandle! Damned place is a hurricane magnet
Well based on the last couple of years, I think you can say that about the entire state of Florida. Prior to this change in the weather patterns, the Carolinas were ground zero for a while. Things just change. If we all lived to be several thousand years old, we would probably recognize these changes just as we recognize the change in the seasons. It's like grasshoppers trying to understand the devastaing event of the lawn mower in their lifetimes...
Unread 06-12-2006, 05:57 PM   #22
Purerock105

Name :
Purerock105 is on a distinguished road

Everything seems to cycle out every few years. I lived in Virginia Beach from
1993-1999 and we got the east side bands from the Carolina Canes, and
during that time Florida had been off the hook since Andrew in 1992.

Now Florida is the Hurricane HQ.
Purerock105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2006, 06:33 PM   #23
Rich Z

Looks like a huge band of storms pushing against a front right below me. I'm actually located about 15 miles south of Tallahassee. Been watching that storm band creeping this way all day now. Getting a few sprinkles but not a whole lot of rain. All the plants are begging for the downpour. Even the tree frogs are kicking up a chorus to try to influence the rains.
Unread 06-13-2006, 02:14 AM   #24
Rich Z

Man, you watch the weather channel on this storm and they are almost frothing at the mouth trying to play it up. Come on fellas! This crap is bad enough without trying to make a media circus out of it do drum up viewers and please the advertisers! I heard there were evacuations ordered, even. Sheesh, from WHERE? I think this state is going to go nuts if a category 5 heads for landfall here this season. But I guess this is big business now for some industries.
Unread 06-13-2006, 03:42 AM   #25
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Man, you watch the weather channel on this storm and they are almost frothing at the mouth trying to play it up. Come on fellas! This crap is bad enough without trying to make a media circus out of it do drum up viewers and please the advertisers! I heard there were evacuations ordered, even. Sheesh, from WHERE? I think this state is going to go nuts if a category 5 heads for landfall here this season. But I guess this is big business now for some industries.
Rich, this is the evacuation list from the Bay area.

A mandatory evacuation order has been issued in zones A and B for Citrus County. That includes all residents living west of U.S. 19 and one-and-a-half miles east of U.S. 19.

Hernando County's emergency management officials have issued a local state of emergency order and a strongly recommended evacuation order for all coastal residents in evacuation zones A/B.

This is the extreme western portion of the county, lying west of U.S. 19, excluding The Heather, Glen Lakes, Regency Oaks and River Country areas.

Pasco County has issued a recommended evacuation order for zone A.

Hillsborough County has issued a voluntary evacuation order for coastal low-lying areas, such as the Bayshore Boulevard area in Tampa, where water could be 7 feet above normal. The emergency operations center will partially activate at 8 a.m. Tuesday.

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2006, 09:18 AM   #26
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Well based on the last couple of years, I think you can say that about the entire state of Florida. Prior to this change in the weather patterns, the Carolinas were ground zero for a while. Things just change. If we all lived to be several thousand years old, we would probably recognize these changes just as we recognize the change in the seasons. It's like grasshoppers trying to understand the devastaing event of the lawn mower in their lifetimes...
You're right, but I wasn't referring to the state. I was referring to the specific geographical location.

I'm in Tampa and by and large, this area has been spared the brunt of a direct hit by anything more than a light blow job for many years (knock on wood .
The Panhandle area on the other hand, especially the Panama City/Pensacola area, have been targeted more than not by storms in recent years.

I just heard from one of my servers that Bayshore was flooded...surprise, surprise!

I really hope this is a light season, but I'm getting panels this year regardless(they come tomorrow to give us an estimate). No more plywood!

Stay safe out there.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2006, 04:52 PM   #27
exile

Name :
exile is on a distinguished road

Well, it looks like this storm is about 86. Hope everybody is OK with no wind/rain damage. Here in Sarasota we got quite a bit of rain and wind both, but I don't think there was appreciable damage and we really needed the rain. There should be another soon if history is any indication........... Tom
Unread 06-13-2006, 05:05 PM   #28
Rich Z

Yeah, we got some rain up here in the Tallahassee area, but I don't think the winds went over 35 mph. And yes, we needed the rain here as well. If all tropical events would be like this it would certanly be OK in my book.
Unread 06-13-2006, 05:11 PM   #29
ChuckG
Retired Florida Geezer

Name :
ChuckG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewter99
it won't be a "cane so you are still hurricane virgins
Yeah, I'm still a "virgin". I see they evacuated part of Citrus County. That's the lowland part west of the main road.

We're on the high and dry side....in Pine Ridge. Maybe my grass, er, underbrush got watered. Chuck

1969 Corvette Conv. Orange/Black, 400HP BB, Automatic, NCRS Top Flight

1956 Chevrolet 2 Door Sedan. 355, 4 speed, Vintage Air, Old School Hot Rod

2006 Corvette Conv. Velocity Yellow/Black
ChuckG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2006, 05:53 PM   #30
exile

Name :
exile is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Maybe my grass, er, underbrush
LOL. Yep, I was in Pasco County yesterday for about 5 hours and they were getting hammered with the rain and some wind, but my guess is your place is fine .........Tom