The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 09-27-2007, 08:33 PM   #1
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough
Default Headlamp Motor

How is this for coincidence? A while back the Left headlamp motor in my 2000 started making noise occasionaly when they closed so I thought I might as well order 2 of the rebuild kits and replace them both. Then on Monday, Deb tells me her Right one is doing the same thing, Jeesh. Well I spent about 90 minutes today rebuilding the one on my car so now fixing the one on Debs car will be a breeze. I will take some pics and explain the process for future DIY'ers and we can post it on the site for future reference.

Joe B.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2007, 01:05 AM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Yeah, that would be good to have as a reference here. I don't drive much at night, but no telling about what the guy did before I got the car.

Unread 09-28-2007, 10:04 AM   #3
Melsy

Name :
Melsy has disabled reputation

Thanks. That would be great to see the real world directions. Now that I just installed Xenon HID low beams, it is like a new world.
Melsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2007, 12:52 AM   #4
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

As I thought, something would go wrong. Nothing major mechanical, it's the small annoying things that really piss ya off and make a simple install into a daylong project.
All went well with the gear change up until the entire unit was re-installed and a couple of test runs were made, everything was working fine. I raised and lowered the headlamps 3or4 times to make sure all was well before installing the bezel and door. Up, Down, UP, Down.....everthing seems fine. Now is when "Murphy's Law" comes into play.
After I get the entire assembly back together, pick up my tools, now remember, everything was working fine up to this point, get everything cleaned up and put away, Deb walks out to see how things are going. "Check it out, turn on the lights....Turn off the lights...GRRRIIINNNDDDD and POP comes the sound from under the hood.
I stood there in amazement. This had just worked fine a few minutes ago, What could have happened?

I popped the hood to find that the gear cover plate had popped off the Headlamp motor and the new gear was lying on the frame. #@%&%#$

So now I get to take the entire Headlamp assembly apart and start over. WHY you ask?
Because JBWeld Quick is not the correct epoxy for this job.

I ended up with this happening again and I am guessing here that it is a combination of the epoxy and that the R side motor puts more pressure on the coverplate that the L side motor, which caused the inferior epoxy to fail under pressure. Don't get me wrong, I used JBQuick because I trusted it many times before, and on a L side repair that works great. I finally got everything working with another old standby, Seal-all.

I will get the pics and info up in a day or two.

Joe B.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2007, 08:04 AM   #5
C5Rick

Name : Rick Hice
C5Rick has disabled reputation

Rob has this amazing product that works on about everything, maybe he can get ya some?
C5Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2007, 11:50 AM   #6
Suicide King

Name :
Suicide King is on a distinguished road

wow, that doesn't sound like fun.
But I still want to see the mod write up and pics.