The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 06-12-2007, 05:09 PM   #21
"Backyard Mechanic"

Name :
"Backyard Mechanic" has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Rocket
Did you change your shocks? Or are your shocks still factory?

I lowered my Z06 and it seems to be bottomed out on the shocks from what I can tell. There is no apparent bounce any more to the spring in the front when I push on the fender.
No I did'nt change the shocks,At first I had a BAD bounce,I figure out the the new longer bolt was going through the bushings.The bolts I had bought did not come with washers,So i went to the hardware store and 2 $ later the problem was fixed.The bounce almost went away,It got better but not quite gone,So I had to raise it a 1/4 inch higher and Presto,Bounce gone.The bounce only came from the back.I removed the front bolts and bushings.Never did have a problem with the bounce from the front end,drives straight as a arrow.Never did get a alighnment,even at highway speed I can let go of the wheel and she is fine.I suppose if you lower the back end to far down, the shocks will bottom out.I only have a bounce problem in the back end now when we load the car up with alot of rear weight.But I try not sit back there that often. I will some day get better shocks,but for now there is no good reason to.I only have 20k miles on her.[2002]Hope that helped.My wife made me raise her up a inch last weekend.But when we bring her to shows,she going back down.It only takes me 3 mins.to do now.
"Backyard Mechanic" is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2007, 12:38 PM   #22
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

No, I'm referring to the front. Either my Z06 spring won't let it drop any more or the shock has bottomed out and stopping the front from going lower. I put a C6 lowering bolt in, which when held up next to the factory C5 bolt is like cutting the bushing off. When I installed the new bolt it didn't drop it any more even though the bolt was clearly shorter.
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2007, 06:50 PM   #23
"Backyard Mechanic"

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Rocket
No, I'm referring to the front. Either my Z06 spring won't let it drop any more or the shock has bottomed out and stopping the front from going lower. I put a C6 lowering bolt in, which when held up next to the factory C5 bolt is like cutting the bushing off. When I installed the new bolt it didn't drop it any more even though the bolt was clearly shorter.
Normally if your shocks "bottom out" the car should throw a code Have you looked under the car to see if "something" is blocking it from going down?Is there any stress on any tie rod ends or on the control arms?Just throwing out some ideas.It is hard to tell without seeing it. Look at the shocks and you should be able to see if the shocks are bottom out.If your not sure you could measure the shocks while they are on the car and then take them off the car and expand them fully and see if the expand more then they where on the car.
Unread 06-18-2007, 12:10 PM   #24
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backyard Mechanic
Normally if your shocks "bottom out" the car should throw a code Have you looked under the car to see if "something" is blocking it from going down?Is there any stress on any tie rod ends or on the control arms?Just throwing out some ideas.It is hard to tell without seeing it. Look at the shocks and you should be able to see if the shocks are bottom out.If your not sure you could measure the shocks while they are on the car and then take them off the car and expand them fully and see if the expand more then they where on the car.
Nope no codes thrown, but I should hit the memory button in the DIC to see if I missed it. Looking at some shorter shocks. Possibly the Z06 spring rate is stiffer than the C5 coupe spring.
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2007, 01:49 PM   #25
vettejack

Name : Jack Legere
vettejack is on a distinguished road

I wanna hear more about going down!
vettejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2007, 04:32 PM   #26
"Backyard Mechanic"

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasajack
I wanna hear more about going down!
Unread 08-17-2007, 04:55 PM   #27
Qman

Name :
Qman is on a distinguished road

looks good! can you drive it up on ramps like that?
Qman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2007, 08:12 PM   #28
"Backyard Mechanic"

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qman
looks good! can you drive it up on ramps like that?
no ramps or speed bumbs.In order to jack the car up with my 3 1/2 ton floor jack,I have to drive up a 1" paver,then my jack goes under,3 pulls and she is off the ground. large deep driveways are also a NO NO
Unread 10-02-2007, 11:32 PM   #29
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough
Default video

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Backyard Mechanic" View Post
Well I did it again,Lowered her some more.Check out the gap on the before and after pictures between the tires and the fender.She rides Sooooooooo smooth.I'm going to get new rear shocks soon,just for some more comfort.The rear can go down about 1 and half more inches.But I think she good for now.Hope you like. I'll I need now are fuzzy dice and little balls inside the windshield
Click here to see Video
Rob, your video has been removed! Bummer.

Joe B.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2007, 12:18 AM   #30
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Just a FYI, but you CAN upload videos to the photo gallery on this site....