The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 06-28-2007, 09:33 AM   #11
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

You might even consider getting yourself a 16-18 foot car trailer just for such emergencies. (Didn't I see a post where you stated you have a truck?) I know it won't help you now, but I know I cringe any time I see a Vette loaded on a flatbed, especially if it's mine!!! You could even rent one for much less than a tow truck would charge.
85vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2007, 02:06 PM   #12
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Well, Chris at STS said I could drive the car indefinitely with the pump on the high setting. I also talked to Greg just a few minutes ago and he said it would be no problem driving the car that way.

So the game plan is to get STS to send a new pump to Greg and schedule some time to drive down there to get the pump replaced. The intake tubes and MAF will have to be cleaned out as well, as there most certainly is oil in them. I'm trying to get a determination that STS will cover that work under the warranty as well.

And thanks for the suggestions. Yes I do have the AAA plus membership, so if the pump should fail and I get within 100 miles or so of AntiVenom, I'll be OK. Connie will be following along anyway, so it's not like I would get stranded on the road.

Haven't tried starting the car yet today, so I'm curious still about that battery problem. Could just be a coincidence, but I am suspicious of a common cause of failure....

Just another day in the life...... I guess........
Unread 06-28-2007, 06:29 PM   #13
Rich427
'69 Vert/'01 Vert/'04 Z16

Name :
Rich427 is on a distinguished road

OMG

Sorry Rich! I know you will get this squared away soon and a little power wash will do the trick on the rear.

On the brighter side, just think of the people that were following behind you. They probably don't realize that you were just trying to prevent the love bugs from sticking to the front of their cars!

Good luck with the fix!

Rich
Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2007, 06:51 PM   #14
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

The oil passes threw the catalatic converter.Thats not good .
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2007, 08:15 PM   #15
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by vett boy
The oil passes threw the catalatic converter.Thats not good .
No, not at all. With the turbos being rear mounted, they are right before the exhaust pipes. So the oil went straight out the tail pipes like I was crop dusting or something. Possibly oil went up the intake pipes, but won't know until Greg looks at it. Bummer of it is that STS only covers the part itself, and not any of the collateral damage.

There is supposed to be an alarm that goes off when something happens to the oil pump, but that never went off at all. Something wrong there too, apparently. I could have been oblivious to the problem entirely until my crankcase drained of oil completely. If I had been cruising down 75, this could have happened VERY quickly and then I would have had REAL problems.
Unread 06-28-2007, 09:18 PM   #16
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

Rich, that just sucks or blows or something, but definately one of those.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2007, 09:42 PM   #17
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 softtail
Rich, that just sucks or blows or something, but definately one of those.
I think that there is a rule out there that says something like "sux on the even numbered days, blows on the odd ones" or something like that. Either way......it was BAD, but coulda been much worse! Hope it's an easy (and inexpensive) fix !
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2007, 12:08 PM   #18
Rich Z

Rats.... STS put the oil pump on a slow boat to AntiVenom, and instead of shipping on Friday like I was told, didn't get out until Monday. ETA is July 10th.
Unread 07-05-2007, 12:47 PM   #19
C5Rick

Name : Rick Hice
C5Rick has disabled reputation

Rich, Any Idea what what day your coming over, I'm driving up to Anti Venom this Saturday. When you come over I would like to come up if the schedule permits. Don't forget Joe's party is on the 14th.
Unread 07-05-2007, 04:32 PM   #20
Rich Z

I'm guessing it will be Friday the 13th...

Not sure if we'll be spending the night in the area or not. Depends on how long Greg thinks it will take to get it fixed. I've got a BUNCH of snakes hatching out now, so time is getting REAL precious. I need to get back ASAP to keep on top of things.

Connie is going to be following me, maybe in the C6, so we probably won't hang around there all day getting underfoot. It's about a 4.5 hour drive for us, so we're going to try to head out here early enough to give Greg most of the day to work on the car. Of course, I haven't heard back from Greg, so I'm just assuming the 13th us OK with his schedule.

I've planning on running the car out to the dealership to get the oil changed tomorrow. I've got a load of regular dino oil in the crankcase right now and want to replace it with synthetic. Guess I might as well switch over to the Royal Purple now anyway. Just hope I don't get it all blown out the tailpipes.....

But yeah, if we could meet up with some folks while Connie and I are down that way, that would be great. Just at this point I can't accurately say when we expect to roll in there. Not to mention that the possibility does exist that the car might start blowing oil again, and in that case I will have to call for a flatbed tow the rest of the way. I've got the AAA extended service, so that will help with part of the mileage, if that happens. Still, it will put a significant dent in our schedule getting down there.