The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 08-09-2016, 02:48 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Panasonic FZ1000 at St. George Island

Took the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 camera out to St. George Island a couple of weeks ago to try out the 4K video capability and snap a few still photos as well. Wish I had brought a monopod, because my hands aren't as steady as they used to be, and it shows using the longer focal lengths. But still, didn't turn out too badly, and YouTube's processing helped remove some of the shakiness as well.

Looks like bird life is bouncing back pretty well, but still not what it used to be before the BP oil dump in the Gulf.

Still not seeing the coquinas like we used to, so I'm guessing the lower links of the food chain got hit the hardest and that just percolated upwards affecting everything else. But thankfully, it does seem to be on the mend. The water appears clearer, and don't have the "off" smell I've noticed most of the times going there. I think sometime soon I may even be able to talk myself into swimming there. Haven't done that since the oil well problem. At least not up here closer to where the actual problem took place. Sanibel didn't seen to get any affects at all from that junk.

I really like the increased detail in video taken in 4K. Thought the limit of 30fps would be a problem, but so far just not seeing it as being an issue. One interesting thing about this camera is that the focal range of the lens changes when you shoot in 4K video. Instead of 25 to 400mm optical that you have shooting still photos, the 4K mode (which you have to specifically select via the knob on top of the camera) switches to 37 to 592mm. Then interestingly enough, a digital zoom becomes available pushing that further to 2368mm at the top end. Seems kind of odd to me that the digital zoom isn't available for still photos. Or at least I haven't found the option to enable it.

I have been processing the 4K video through Cyberlink's PowerDirector 14 since the Sony Vegas Pro I have won't handle it. I have an older version of Vegas Pro, and can't update it to a newer version because they dropped support for Windows Vista.

But PowerDirector seems to do a decent job, so that will have to do, I guess.