• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

Florida springtime thunderstorms...

Rich Z

Internet Sanitation Engineer
Staff member
Yeah, I know some of the state is in drought conditions, and normally May is the driest month in these parts (Tallahassee) as well. But not this year, and not for the last couple of years either. I was sitting at my computer and heard some thunder off in the distance. But not staying in the distance as it is getting closer. So I took a look at the weather map radar. See below. See the TLH marker? I'm right below that. Looks like a giant storm claw swooping down on me, doesn't it?

050906_0157am.gif

It rained like hell yesterday (05/08) and the road at the end of our driveway was a mess. Perils of living off of an unpaved road I guess. But when all I had was the Jeep Wrangler, it didn't bother me at all. Maybe I should have tried to find a 4 wheel drive Z06, eh? :rolleyes:

I do love thunderstorms. I hate driving in them though. We just got a little bit of one this morning. It's good, we really needed the rain.

Its been raining non stop since about 6am here.

I just mowed my lawn yesterday.

I can here the grass saying Ahhhhhhhh.

Same here IVO. We've had about 4 hours of good steady rain. Looks like it will be over about noon. Glad to see it. I was starting to look for water restrictions>>> not good:NoNo: .........Tom:)

Fires worry me the most. Living in the middle of the woods is great, except when the woods are so dry that walking through it sounds like you are walking on potato chips. We have already had some close calls. A few years ago, the fire was SO close that we had smoking embers falling in the yard. When we were designing the house, I specifically wanted a tin roof because that is helpful in a forest fire situation. Most houses will catch on fire because of burning embers igniting the asphalt shingle tiles on many houses.

We got another bucketful of rain last night around 3:30am. Haven't checked the maps yet today, but I think the percentage is something like 50 percent. Supposed to clear up by the weekend, however.

Well all the rain the last couple days has resulted n my Z getting wrecked. COming off the turnpike northbound on the exit to I595 last night the Ford Explorer next to me lost traction, hydroplaned and spun head on in my lane. I coule not stop and plowed into the car. The front end of my Z and front fright quarter panel is al lbusted up, my car is not driveable. Now I need to deal with insurance adjusters, settlements and figuring our what to do. Do I fix it with a new hood and tigershark front end, if I get a settlement do I sell it as is and get a new Z? We will see, but for right now, no Z.

canesfins said:
Well all the rain the last couple days has resulted n my Z getting wrecked. COming off the turnpike northbound on the exit to I595 last night the Ford Explorer next to me lost traction, hydroplaned and spun head on in my lane. I coule not stop and plowed into the car. The front end of my Z and front fright quarter panel is al lbusted up, my car is not driveable. Now I need to deal with insurance adjusters, settlements and figuring our what to do. Do I fix it with a new hood and tigershark front end, if I get a settlement do I sell it as is and get a new Z? We will see, but for right now, no Z.

Wow, that sucks. mostly all the accidnts I see involve an SUV. People just do not know how to drive. I think they get a false sense of security in being in an SUV. Superman Syndrome.

If you do not have any frame damage, I would say fix it up with new hood and TS.

BTW: :welcome: to the site

Sorry to hear about your Z. I hate driving in the rain. There are too many morons who don't know how to drive their vehicles when it is raining. Your being careful and some idiot just whizzes by just ready to make a mistake.

Sucks that your first post on the site was this.

Well what do you expect when the driving "test" is a joke? You really don't have to know how to drive to get put in control of a 3,000+ pound bullet. How many people really know what to do when the backend of the vehicle tries to come around in front of them? Or realize that driving high speed through rain can bring the tires off of the surface via hydroplaning? I've seen people pass on blind curves like they didn't have a care in the world.

I've heard it suggested that all trucks and SUVs should have black boxes in them like they do in airplanes. I would bet BIG MONEY, that the most common LAST THING heard when the black box is pulled from some redneck's crumpled pickup truck and analyzed would be the driver saying "watch this!"....... :rofl1:

canesfins said:

Man, THAT SUCKS!
Sorry to hear the bad news, keep us posted on how things work out.

Rich Z said:
I've heard it suggested that all trucks and SUVs should have black boxes in them like they do in airplanes.

Some if not most do. They cost alot to analyze so it's usually only done in very serious or deadly crashes.

canesfins said:
OOOOOOOOOHH! That sucks:banghead: :nonod: . I would just s#*t :mad: if it happened to me. Best of luck to you. I hope the situation is resolved quickly and to your satifaction:box: ..........Tom:sorry:

I miss the daily rain in Tallahassee - my grass needs it bad down here now! One thing about Tallahassee; it was the hottest place in the summer and the coldest place in the winter, but we got a good dose of rain everyday in the spring and summer moths!

Where's the Rain.:shrug01: Thunder only worrys me when i am fishing or like now that it's so dry.1 strike could easly cause a Forest Fire around here . I kinda live in the woods.We are back up to a Reserve Area with a Buttload of Trees .Please bring on the rain :thumbsup:

Yeah, I'm surrounded by heavy forest. And 3/4 of a mile from the Apalachicola national forest. One Spring there was a huge fire in the forest (caused by a prescribed burn that got away from them) and we actually had smoldering embers falling out of the sky onto our lawn. That was pretty scary. Fire trucks were running around like chickens with their heads cut off. Kind of like the Keystone Cops in that they were stopping to ask directions to the fire. :eek:

But at least I had the foresight to put tin roofing on the house and buildings. Most house catch on fire because of burning embers igniting the asphault shingle tiles more commonly used.

Back