The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Z06Fever!

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Z06Fever! Well, why not? Having one of these toys is definitely an illness for which there is no cure, so let's talk about this specific malady.

Unread 06-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road
Default Custom Wheels

Which wheels do you have on your C5Z? I'm looking at upgrading mine to a stock configuration and size for my 03 C5Z but done in a triple plated chrome (over aluminum) finish. (I kinda like a bit of sparkle) I know we've had a bit of this discussion before.

My "Peek" is always garaged and rather pampered so I don't think corrosion will be a factor. Heck they'll get polished as soon as received.

The set I am looking at are from Zip for right at 800 plus shipping. Part number H-566.

What ya think?
Unread 06-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I do like chrome wheels. I've taken my abused and damaged chrome wheels off and put on some polished aluminum Z16 wheels, but to be honest, whenever I see them I get a knee jerk reaction to clean them because they look like *dirty* chromed wheels to me. I think I would like to remove the clear paint coating on them so I could REALLY polish them babies. Of course, I didn't realize it would look like that before I bought them and put them on the car.

Check out the chrome wheels you want to get, as they are not all made equal. Some of them are completely chromed, inside the wheel and out, whereas others are chromed just on the outside rim and the spokes. I had a problem with one of my chrome wheels peeling at the tire bead, causing an air leak, and now some chrome has flaked off around the rim edge as well. If I could specify what I want, I would want everything EXCEPT the tire bead area and what would be covered by the tire to be chromed. I think the chroming on the inside of the wheels (where the brake rotors are located, looks pretty sharp when clean, as it reflects the brake hardware and just makes for a better look than the flat gray of unchromed aluminum.

So check out the wheels you are considering closely. Some details like that might not be easily determined from photographs, and for that matter, the photographs might not even reflect what you would actually be getting. So ask DETAILED questions before plunking down your money.
Unread 06-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
Rich427
'69 Vert/'01 Vert/'04 Z16

Name :
Rich427 is on a distinguished road

Ken, they look great. But every pic looks great! I would call Zip, and talk to one of their reps and see what type of quality the chrome job is on these wheels. I have always found the guys at Zip to be up front and informative. They also have been very responsive with their deliveries.

Rich

2014 Z51 7 Speed Convertible
Laguna Blue/Grey/Grey
Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
Kap142

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Yeah, I do like chrome wheels. I've taken my abused and damaged chrome wheels off and put on some polished aluminum Z16 wheels, but to be honest, whenever I see them I get a knee jerk reaction to clean them because they look like *dirty* chromed wheels to me. I think I would like to remove the clear paint coating on them so I could REALLY polish them babies. Of course, I didn't realize it would look like that before I bought them and put them on the car.

Check out the chrome wheels you want to get, as they are not all made equal. Some of them are completely chromed, inside the wheel and out, whereas others are chromed just on the outside rim and the spokes. I had a problem with one of my chrome wheels peeling at the tire bead, causing an air leak, and now some chrome has flaked off around the rim edge as well. If I could specify what I want, I would want everything EXCEPT the tire bead area and what would be covered by the tire to be chromed. I think the chroming on the inside of the wheels (where the brake rotors are located, looks pretty sharp when clean, as it reflects the brake hardware and just makes for a better look than the flat gray of unchromed aluminum.

So check out the wheels you are considering closely. Some details like that might not be easily determined from photographs, and for that matter, the photographs might not even reflect what you would actually be getting. So ask DETAILED questions before plunking down your money.
I shall, thanks for the guidance.

Last edited by Kap142; 06-27-2012 at 09:17 PM. Reason: spellin
Kap142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
Kap142

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich427 View Post
Ken, they look great. But every pic looks great! I would call Zip, and talk to one of their reps and see what type of quality the chrome job is on these wheels. I have always found the guys at Zip to be up front and informative. They also have been very responsive with their deliveries.

Rich
I will do just that.

Just another thought. Has anyone had any problems with moving tires from one set of wheels to another and then leaking? I'm not talking about a bad bead here just a few too many stretches.
Unread 07-02-2012, 07:44 AM   #6
Kap142

Name :

Got a set of OEM Speedline Z16 whells on the way in as we speak.

Now this is not intended as a cheap shot question but can a Chebby dealership swap tires and wheels with out damaging my new wheels or my C5Z body?
Unread 07-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
Rich427
'69 Vert/'01 Vert/'04 Z16

Name :
Rich427 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap142 View Post

Now this is not intended as a cheap shot question but can a Chebby dealership swap tires and wheels with out damaging my new wheels or my C5Z body?
Ken, it is not the dealer but the installer at the dealership. My experience over the last handful of years is that Chevy dealers that do a decent business selling Vettes will normally do a decent job on service. They typically only have 1 or 2 mechanics that they let work on Corvettes. If not, don't go there. If you have a Chevy dealer in your area, go talk to the service manager and tell him what you expect from his service people when they work on your car. You will quickly get a sense whether you are dealing with the right dealership.

Now as far as your wheels, I think you made a great choice picking the Z16 Speedline wheels. BUT, one thing I would recommend is that you get the Tire Pressure Sensors NOW and have them installed when you have the wheels and tires mounted. You will be glad that you did this mod. If you choose to have the work done at a dealer, they are equipped to activate the sensors properly for you. This is the first mod I did to my Z16 when I bought it. Also, do not buy the sensors through the dealer, they will charge you around $70 per wheel. I bought mine for my Z06 from GM Parts House and also bought replacements for my '01 vert from them. They run around $40 a wheel from them. Since you currently don't have them on your car, make sure you get the mounting hardware, (nut, maybe a washer, but these are peanuts price wise). The guys at GM Parts House will get you the right stuff if you explain what you are doing to them. In fact, 2Vettes just posted a thread where her rear sensors are going bad. I posted a response with a link to GM Parts House on these sensors.

Good luck Ken!

Rich

2014 Z51 7 Speed Convertible
Laguna Blue/Grey/Grey
Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap142 View Post

It probably depends more than anything on the particular person who actually does the work. Most places likely aren't going to use their highest skilled techs to change tires on rims.
Unread 07-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #9
Kap142

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
It probably depends more than anything on the particular person who actually does the work. Most places likely aren't going to use their highest skilled techs to change tires on rims.
That's what scares me.
Unread 07-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #10
Kap142

Name :

I didn't know a non TPS car could simply be retro fitted to work with TPS. Is their some kind of programing update to be completed? I don't understand. Do you just install them and they tell you when a tire is low? How do day do dat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich427 View Post
Ken, it is not the dealer but the installer at the dealership. My experience over the last handful of years is that Chevy dealers that do a decent business selling Vettes will normally do a decent job on service. They typically only have 1 or 2 mechanics that they let work on Corvettes. If not, don't go there. If you have a Chevy dealer in your area, go talk to the service manager and tell him what you expect from his service people when they work on your car. You will quickly get a sense whether you are dealing with the right dealership.

Now as far as your wheels, I think you made a great choice picking the Z16 Speedline wheels. BUT, one thing I would recommend is that you get the Tire Pressure Sensors NOW and have them installed when you have the wheels and tires mounted. You will be glad that you did this mod. If you choose to have the work done at a dealer, they are equipped to activate the sensors properly for you. This is the first mod I did to my Z16 when I bought it. Also, do not buy the sensors through the dealer, they will charge you around $70 per wheel. I bought mine for my Z06 from GM Parts House and also bought replacements for my '01 vert from them. They run around $40 a wheel from them. Since you currently don't have them on your car, make sure you get the mounting hardware, (nut, maybe a washer, but these are peanuts price wise). The guys at GM Parts House will get you the right stuff if you explain what you are doing to them. In fact, 2Vettes just posted a thread where her rear sensors are going bad. I posted a response with a link to GM Parts House on these sensors.

Good luck Ken!

Rich