The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 03-15-2020, 10:15 AM   #31
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

90's are showing up so lets see if it kills this bug for FL.
CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2020, 12:22 PM   #32
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASZ51 View Post
90's are showing up so lets see if it kills this bug for FL.
I would doubt it will have much impact. There are plenty countries all along the equator with infections, so I don't have much hope of summertime temperatures doing much. But perhaps the higher humidity might be what has an impact.

I'm seeing 115 confirmed cases in Florida now. There is nothing I know of the prevent infections to just explode, so if you haven't already made preparations for becoming homebound for a while, it might be too late to stock up on many things.

There are going to be a lot of people out of work, and perhaps out of money. The economy is probably going to grind to a halt because people won't be going anywhere to spend money. Which will mean a lot of desperate people who will do desperate things.

I am getting a lot of emails from retail businesses trying to convince customers that it will be safe to come to their stores. So I am guessing they are already feeling the pinch. When business stops, they will have to let go employees. Most people are living paycheck to paycheck, so things are going to go real ugly for them.

I have read quite a bit about these kinds of scenarios over the years. I had hoped I wouldn't have to actually live through one myself, though. Just not my idea of a great retirement in my "golden years".
Unread 03-15-2020, 04:10 PM   #33
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
I would doubt it will have much impact. There are plenty countries all along the equator with infections, so I don't have much hope of summertime temperatures doing much. But perhaps the higher humidity might be what has an impact.

I'm seeing 115 confirmed cases in Florida now. There is nothing I know of the prevent infections to just explode, so if you haven't already made preparations for becoming homebound for a while, it might be too late to stock up on many things.

There are going to be a lot of people out of work, and perhaps out of money. The economy is probably going to grind to a halt because people won't be going anywhere to spend money. Which will mean a lot of desperate people who will do desperate things.

I am getting a lot of emails from retail businesses trying to convince customers that it will be safe to come to their stores. So I am guessing they are already feeling the pinch. When business stops, they will have to let go employees. Most people are living paycheck to paycheck, so things are going to go real ugly for them.

I have read quite a bit about these kinds of scenarios over the years. I had hoped I wouldn't have to actually live through one myself, though. Just not my idea of a great retirement in my "golden years".
Maybe a good time to buy a Vette. I will be a mess for a few months to a year i guess.
Unread 03-16-2020, 12:17 AM   #34
Rich Z

Quote:
Maybe a good time to buy a Vette. I will be a mess for a few months to a year i guess.
Yeah, but have them drop it off in your driveway with the keys underneath the floor mat. Let it just sit there for a month so if any virus is inside, it will die off naturally in the heat inside.

I'm thinking many people aren't willing to make long term committments like buying a car. I want to get an extended warranty on my Grand Cherokee, but I'm going to hold off a bit. Just in case it turns out it isn't needed.
Unread 03-16-2020, 06:25 AM   #35
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

Quote:
Yeah, but have them drop it off in your driveway with the keys underneath the floor mat. Let it just sit there for a month so if any virus is inside, it will die off naturally in the heat inside.

I'm thinking many people aren't willing to make long term committments like buying a car. I want to get an extended warranty on my Grand Cherokee, but I'm going to hold off a bit. Just in case it turns out it isn't needed.
I held off on buying myself. Maybe use the money and play with stocks that i know nothing about. Never did stocks before, but would love to find someone that knows what to do.
Unread 03-16-2020, 01:03 PM   #36
Rich Z

Quote:
I held off on buying myself. Maybe use the money and play with stocks that i know nothing about. Never did stocks before, but would love to find someone that knows what to do.
Never played with stocks myself, neither. But I did work at Quotron for a while, that runs those stats you see in "ticker tapes". And I saw that it is a rich man's game. People with lots of money can directly control the market because they can buy and sell large lots, which directly influences everyone else. So they can sell a bunch of stock, which drops the prices, then buy it back again at a cheaper price to sell when the price rises again. It is all a game to them. Meanwhile the little guys get their life savings wiped out overnight if they aren't real careful.

Thanks, but no thanks. If you want to buy something that is just about guaranteed to remain valuable, no matter what, buy guns.
Unread 03-16-2020, 07:56 PM   #37
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

Quote:
Never played with stocks myself, neither. But I did work at Quotron for a while, that runs those stats you see in "ticker tapes". And I saw that it is a rich man's game. People with lots of money can directly control the market because they can buy and sell large lots, which directly influences everyone else. So they can sell a bunch of stock, which drops the prices, then buy it back again at a cheaper price to sell when the price rises again. It is all a game to them. Meanwhile the little guys get their life savings wiped out overnight if they aren't real careful.

Thanks, but no thanks. If you want to buy something that is just about guaranteed to remain valuable, no matter what, buy guns.
Sold most of my guns well before the prices went nuts.
Unread 03-16-2020, 08:44 PM   #38
Rich Z

Quote:
Sold most of my guns well before the prices went nuts.
Yeah, I hear that. I sold some guns that I will probably never see again anywhere.

I had and sold two of these:

https://www.rockislandauction.com/de...utomatic-rifle
Unread 03-17-2020, 07:16 PM   #39
Rich Z

216 confirmed cases in Florida as of today 03-17-2020.

This is a particularly helpful map for those of us living (or visiting) in Florida.

https://fdoh.maps.arcgis.com/apps/op...2a615dc7837c86
Unread 03-17-2020, 07:20 PM   #40
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

Quote:
216 confirmed cases in Florida as of today 03-17-2020.

This is a particularly helpful map for those of us living (or visiting) in Florida.

https://fdoh.maps.arcgis.com/apps/op...2a615dc7837c86
Looks like the party boats will be hit hard if it is a 10 person limit. No way they can make money taking 7 paying people per trip since 3 crew are included in the 10 max. Can't even pay for fuel going 10 miles out in the gulf.