Suggestion Box Forum Requests | Site Mods | General Suggestions

Unread 04-03-2008, 05:08 PM   #1
JIM KILL
TampaBay Vettes

Name : Jim Kill
JIM KILL is on a distinguished road
Talking Events Section

Rich:

Could we possibly have (5) five events sections. We all are everyday over riding each other with our local events. I know the calendar is there...I post alot of events. I think this would add to our Forum, and help alot.

Something like:

West Coast Florida Events
East Coast Florida Events
North Florida Events
Central Florida Events
South Florida Events

Thank You
JIM

Last edited by JIM KILL; 05-07-2008 at 08:03 AM.
JIM KILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Jim - do you really think the traffic in that forum warrants such a change?

Then someone has to keep an eye on the posted new threads to make sure they are posted in the correct forum. Assuming everyone would agree on which one is the "correct" one...... For instance, where would an event in Gainesville be posted? What might happen is that people will post their event in ALL the separate forums just to make certain that it is noticed. So it may get more confusing to a lot of people....

Personally, I just don't think the additional complication is justified at this point. Maybe if we were getting dozens of new threads every day.....

But that being said, if I am overruled by a majority AND you are willing to become the "calendar czar" and in charge of that group of forums, then maybe we'll give it a whirl....
Unread 04-03-2008, 07:07 PM   #3
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

I like his idea and if this were a national forum, I'd say it's definately a must. But for a statewide forum, if we separate them by areas, some are likely to be missed by accident. I certainly have no issues with driving to Daytona or Miami for a show if the timing is right

But unless you look for them, you'll never see them.

I'd suggest leaving it as is for now, letting people post as they have been (makes the traffic in the events section look heavier anyway) and just keeping track of them on the calander.

If peopole would add thier events onto the calander, all someone would have to do is pull up that day and see if there are any conflicts, then go where they like

JMHO.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2008, 07:10 PM   #4
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I like his idea and if this were a national forum, I'd say it's definately a must. But for a statewide forum, if we separate them by areas, some are likely to be missed by accident. I certainly have no issues with driving to Daytona or Miami for a show if the timing is right

But unless you look for them, you'll never see them.

I'd suggest leaving it as is for now, letting people post as they have been (makes the traffic in the events section look heavier anyway) and just keeping track of them on the calander.

If peopole would add thier events onto the calander, all someone would have to do is pull up that day and see if there are any conflicts, then go where they like

JMHO.
Yeah...... I would REALLY like to see everyone make an effort at keeping the calendar uptodate and listing everything we all might be interested in. Whenever Connie starts talking about getting away for the weekend, that's where we look for events to go to.......
Unread 04-04-2008, 01:39 PM   #5
pewter99
This place cracks me up

Name :
pewter99 is on a distinguished road

I think we discussed this early on....I think its fine for the volume of people here.

That being said if I wanna go to something geographical location doesn't matter.

In the last month I have been to Sebring, last week we went to Homestead for the IRL races, show, concert and track day. This weekend its St Pete Gran Prix. Up after that is St Armands in Sarasota In the fall Memphis for St Jude and then hopefully back to The Biltmore in NC in November.
So where is not a problem.....its what
pewter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2008, 04:12 PM   #6
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewter99 View Post
I think we discussed this early on....I think its fine for the volume of people here.

That being said if I wanna go to something geographical location doesn't matter.

In the last month I have been to Sebring, last week we went to Homestead for the IRL races, show, concert and track day. This weekend its St Pete Gran Prix. Up after that is St Armands in Sarasota In the fall Memphis for St Jude and then hopefully back to The Biltmore in NC in November.
So where is not a problem.....its what

No problem with the travel. Time seems to be an issue lately
Unread 04-05-2008, 06:38 AM   #7
JIM KILL
TampaBay Vettes

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Jim - do you really think the traffic in that forum warrants such a change?

Then someone has to keep an eye on the posted new threads to make sure they are posted in the correct forum. Assuming everyone would agree on which one is the "correct" one...... For instance, where would an event in Gainesville be posted? What might happen is that people will post their event in ALL the separate forums just to make certain that it is noticed. So it may get more confusing to a lot of people....

Personally, I just don't think the additional complication is justified at this point. Maybe if we were getting dozens of new threads every day.....

But that being said, if I am overruled by a majority AND you are willing to become the "calendar czar" and in charge of that group of forums, then maybe we'll give it a whirl....
Rich:
If you look at the Calendar now....You would see that I appear now to be the Calendar Czar. I post most of the events now.... I have noticed, which I enjoy doing and helps the gang. Lately, in the events section the comments are more in the area of "Who is going to what event questions and where do we meet up". Many shows lately have been several on the same weekend in different parts of the State. I was thinking that a Show in Miami....the gang could talk and then a show in Tampa...the gang could talk. As you know I am willing to do anything to help the Forum or you. With over 2300 members now, it just appeared to me we are ready for Florida area sections now. If you think we are not ready for this yet.....just keep it in the back of your mind for the future.
Thanks
Respectfully
JIM
Unread 04-05-2008, 09:22 AM   #8
Shadow

Name :

Jim,

I see where you're going and it make sense; however, and this is JMHO, I think if we separate the sections at this time, many folks will miss events in other parts of the state that they wish to attend over something local.

I know there are events throughout the year that are not in my back yard, that I prefer to attend over local ones.

Even if they're all thrown in the same pot, once you subscribe to a thread, you can follow it easily enough

I think if people would add thier event to the calendar and add a link to the original thread post, it would make it easy enough to see what else is happening that same day?

Your opinion?
Unread 04-05-2008, 12:44 PM   #9
Rich Z

It's been my experience that many folks will eventually limit themselves to the few forums on a site that they habitually visit, to the complete exclusion of all the rest of them. At least once a site gets big enough and traffic robust enough that they have to begin filtering the messages based on personal interest. People WILL get set in their ways over time.

Which is exactly the reason that I chose to NOT have separate forums for all 6 generations of Corvettes. I believe that doing so will create a barrier between the memberships based on whatever generation(s) they are interested in to the exclusion of all the members with a differing interest.

I believe this applies to regional and local events in Florida as well.

What my goal has been with this site has been to have a meeting place for ALL Florida Corvettes and the people with an interest in them. I WANT people to see the excitement and interest in events that are not local to them. Why? Because just maybe they will be so intrigued by all that obvious participation, that they will perhaps decide to make the drive to join in as well. And it may also provide some incentive to use such an event as a yardstick to spur on events in their own area to strive to make their own comparable. Thereby perhaps encouraging people from other areas to join in with THEIR event.

Florida is a pretty big state, but not so big that it is not feasible for EVERYONE here to visit any event anywhere within the state. Heck, I would not be at all opposed to people posting events in Georgia and Alabama (or really ANYWHERE) as well, since DRIVING a Corvette is really where the fun is. So just driving to a long distance event will be every bit as much fun as just BEING at the event.

So that is my intent. To try to make this seem like a family to all of us. Not a situation where we all go to our separate rooms and not speak to any of those in those other rooms we don't bother to visit.

With that being said, once the new version of vBulletin goes into final release, I will be converting this site over to that new version. If you look at the way I have the events forum set up over on CorvetteInternational (http://www.corvetteinternational.com...splay.php?f=12), I can do something similar here whereby a TAG is placed at the beginning of every thread posted in the Events and Happenings forum. So at a glance, someone will be able to determine which region the event takes place in. And if traffic and thread volume warrants it, they can set a filter condition to ONLY display those events for a region of their choosing. I think when this is implemented, it will satisfy what appears to be conflicting goals for that forum.
Unread 04-06-2008, 08:01 AM   #10
JIM KILL
TampaBay Vettes

Talking Good Idea

Thanks Rich....Makes good logic!!
Jim