The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Competitions and Racing Forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Competitions and Racing Forum Any and all forms of contests. "Kill" stories are OK, but please note that this site does NOT condone illegal activities. So discretion is advised.

Unread 01-29-2010, 07:12 PM   #11
NOT A TA

Name :
NOT A TA has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
I would like to know if we have any other drag racers on this site. I am interested in most topics but my passion is drag racing. If there are some prospective racers I will do all I can to help you get started, including helping you at a local track. This is not a business endeavor and I don't want a dime.

If anyone is interested a new track has opened in Orlando near the airport. At the bottom is a link. I have been there and they are very nice people. This is an IHRA certified member track and they begin the Summit Super Series on Sunday, Feb 7. This is an open bracket racing event and you can sign up for points or just race for cash as I do.

http://cfracingcomplex.com/
I haven't been drag racing since I moved here full time last year. I ran Bradenton a few years back and the old Moroso. Also ran in GA at Silver Dollar a few times and up north at Lebanon Valley in NY. Never had anything really quick so I can do NASCAR style laps at test and tunes and get alot of runs. I've run the new road course at PBI but not the strip yet. Gotta get up there soon.

The Firebird's mostly a road course car but I take it to the strip and run it anyway. LOL Just take off the gumball stickers with the numbers and put on some ET streets and skinnys.

NOT A TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 08:21 PM   #12
Bob K
Deceased

Name : Bob Korreck
Bob K has disabled reputation

PBIR is running the Super Summit Series. I don't race for points, only cash so I do not have to join IHRA.

Feb 13 is the first event and they run 2 brackets a day. The first is 1/4 mile and the 2nd is 1/8 mile. $50 to enter each race and each pays a $1000. If you want to go let me know and I'll meet you there,

You're not wearing a helmet. What's with that?
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 10:44 PM   #13
NOT A TA

Name :
NOT A TA has disabled reputation

Quote:
PBIR is running the Super Summit Series. I don't race for points, only cash so I do not have to join IHRA.

Feb 13 is the first event and they run 2 brackets a day. The first is 1/4 mile and the 2nd is 1/8 mile. $50 to enter each race and each pays a $1000. If you want to go let me know and I'll meet you there,

You're not wearing a helmet. What's with that?
Over 13 or something you don't need one. Car isn't a drag car, fastest only high 13's (but I'm fixing that). I entered the MSD True Street catagory at a NMCA race. You drive 30 miles on the street, then a half hour cool down (for the guys running on the edge of streetability), then 3 back to back passes 3 minutes apart. Believe it or not I won all 3!!! LOL Got picked as editors choice for the weekend by Johnny Hunkins who shot the car for PHR.

He was out cruising around the pits in a cart checking out cars and saw me working on mine installing a microswitch on my shifter to pass tech for neutral safety (never an issue at other tracks I'd been to). So he pulled in my pit area and started chatting. Not unusual as you know for strangers to pop in to check out a car or whatever so I barely looked up and kept talking/working. He kept asking questions while I finished putting the console together and explained that I'd done all of the work on the car and told him I still needed to take off the road track wheels and put the M/Ts on. I explained that I was on a "car guy" vacation just cruising GA and FL going to Road Tack and drag events for a few weeks.

He thought it was cool that I was doing that even though I'd told him the car wasn't quick on the strip and I was just there to have fun. When I looked up he looked familiar but I couldn't place him till he said "Do you know who I am?" Then it hit me! Anyway they gave me a cover and a full feature! I had told him there were nicer cars in the show area and much faster cars on track to shoot for the mag. His reply was that my car had "the look" but most importantly I was racing it at the strip and running it on road tracks (thats mostly what it's set up for) as well as Land Speed Racing. PHR was sponsoring the race.

Since then I've been upgrading all of the safety stuff to go faster. The car now has a full cage, fire systems, Kirkey NASCAR seats, 6 point Schroths etc. Next is making it faster! I built a 2.41 rear with Moser stuff I tested out at the Milemarker-1 LSR event in Oct. where I met a bunch of nice folks from this forum (thats why I'm a member even though no Corvette). Next will be a 5 speed and stroker engine.

I'll see about the 13th.

Heres a pic of the Firebird on the cover and a pic from the fall at Sebring

NOT A TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 11:45 PM   #14
Bob K
Deceased

Great story.

I am thinking about NMCA at Bradenton around the weekend of March 19. I am thinking about running EFI and True Street. I'm not sure yet.

My Vette is stock and runs mid to high 12's but is very consistent. That's what wins the money. I can also make a minor change and run 14,0 which is what I'll probably do for NMCA.

Glad you're enjoying your car and it's not a garage queen.
Unread 02-02-2010, 08:28 PM   #15
pmj341

Name :
pmj341 has disabled reputation
Default PBIR

Bob K
PBIR is having the Vette Challenge on Friday the 12 Feb.
I'm trying to fix my schedule so I can make it.
How about you??
pmj341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #16
spiceman

Name :
spiceman has disabled reputation
Default my old friend Bo Laws

Quote:
Some day maybe I'll get to see it. Brings back a lot of memories.
enjoy BLP products Mr Bo his self breaking NHRA records of his day's
Attached Images

spiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #17
Bob K
Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmj341 View Post
Bob K
PBIR is having the Vette Challenge on Friday the 12 Feb.
I'm trying to fix my schedule so I can make it.
How about you??
I've been to a couple a few years ago but I'm boycotting that Vette challenge. No payout. The track keeps all of the money and Roger gives out a trophy. Nothing against Roger but what's with the track?
Unread 02-02-2010, 09:05 PM   #18
Bob K
Deceased

Thanks Spiceman. That's the way we all did it. I still do today. Now they need the big haulers and millions in the budget. If they bring back the 60's it would be fine with me.
Unread 02-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #19
spiceman

Name :
spiceman has disabled reputation

yeah brother, LOL
spiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2010, 09:15 PM   #20
Bob K
Deceased

I just looked at your profile. Looks like we come from about the same time in history. Can I borrow a few hundred horse power?