The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > CorvetteFlorida Feedback!

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

CorvetteFlorida Feedback! Site Help Needed | Admin Notices | General feedback about this site

Unread 09-16-2007, 01:18 AM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Question About charter memberships...

OK, this one kind of hit me alongside the head, so I'm going to ask you all what I should do about it.

Originally I asked Rashelle to make me up a little graphic for Charter Members, with the intent of giving them to the first 100 members to register on this site. So I figured out a filter so I could look at who they may be and came up with a list of the first 100. Hmm. Seemed like an awful lot of them hadn't been back here for a while, so I refined the filter to show me how many of those first 100 have been back here since June 1, 2007. I came up with only 39.

Now it just doesn't seem right that I give that Charter Member graphic to 61 members who have apparently abandoned the site after registering. Not when there are many others who are here NOW and apparently putting a lot of time and effort into getting this site growing. Kind of dilutes the recognition, I think....

But what do I do about it? Just forget this plan entirely? Or go ahead and give those 39 members the graphic and forget about the rest of them? Give the graphics to all 100 regardless of their current presence here?

Or just figure out a different plan altogether? I thought about perhaps giving the graphic to the first 100 paid memberships (when implemented), but heck, that seems kind of mercenary somehow.

What do you all think? I sure as heck don't want to do this in any manner that winds up pissing people off.

Man, I sure do wish more things were just BLACK and WHITE and not all of this gray stuff.
Unread 09-16-2007, 06:18 AM   #2
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road

Now that's a tuffy. Many active folks on the site probably were not part of the original 100 but you stand in fear of alienating many who have (since) become mainstays of the forum. That would be less then considerate or caring. Maybe just leave it alone?

I'm always a little curious of those who seem to need badges and trophies to make themselves extra proud or to establish themselves as "valid".

Ken
Unread 09-16-2007, 07:17 AM   #3
sglfladad

Name :
sglfladad is on a distinguished road

Rich, you're probably much wiser than me, but my wise Father frequently told me, "you can't always make everyone happy".

First of all, in general I think the charter member graphic is a neat idea. I'm sure you have bulk email capabilities. I'd suggest sending a blanket email to the 1st 100, stating your quandry and adding a qualifier. Something along the lines, that if they'd like the charter member graphic, they would need to email you or post their answer.

Something to keep in mind on those 61 people who haven't been back in a while. In most cases, you probably don't know the circumstances that prompted them to register in the first place. Maybe they were bored at work one day. Possibly they were thinking about buying a corvette and simply wanted to see what others were saying. Heck, they may have even done a google search, or simply stumbled upon the site. For some, maybe life just happened and they no longer have time to peruse the web, sold their car or simply aren't interested anymore...a myriad of reasons. Maybe a blanket email to those 61 if they would still like to be members?

Mercenary, shmercenary! Who cares! My wise old Father also told me "Nothing is free!" well, maybe a couple of things but I digress

Whatever you decide. I'll stick around. Show up at a show or a cruise every now and then. Post once in a while. Pay for the membership when you implement it.

Life is busy.. kids, girlfriend, scouts, WORK!..woohoo earning money again! Now it's football season, GO BUCs..clean house, do laundry, cook, blah blah blah...Sometimes finding/making time to do everything I WANT to do, takes a back seat to doing everything I HAVE to do. For example, yesterday, I started to detail my "black beauty". ummm.. now I'm halfway through it, and she'll be sitting in the garage while I take the Armada to the Bucs game today

Last edited by sglfladad; 09-16-2007 at 09:35 AM.
sglfladad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2007, 07:54 AM   #4
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough
Talking Yep, Ray has an Opinion....

I'd give it to the members who qualify for (Deserve) this badge of honor.

Maybe change the qualifications a bit though (if the program allows it).
For example...
The 1st 100 with 100 posts (or whatever# of posts).

Maybe leave it the way you have it (with 39 members) and if some of the Others show up at a later date, you still have the ability to grant them the badge.?
My feelings about "Charter Members".... Just because a person registered on this site back in the day, isn't good enough and That ALONE Shouldn't qualify them for Charter Membership. The people who stuck it out, continuously posting helping to keep this site Alive DOES!

JAT...These people were the Pioneers of this forum and IMO deserve a Tribute recognizing them for their efforts. I know some of them won't give a hoot whether they're recognized or not, But I Do, and I think it's a nice gesture on your part Rich for wanting to do so!!!

~Ray
Unread 09-16-2007, 08:14 AM   #5
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
Default Shhh Ken,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap142
I'm always a little curious of those who seem to need badges and trophies to make themselves extra proud or to establish themselves as "valid".

Ken
..I NEED my PRECIOUS!!!

I see what you're sayin Ken and .
But in this situation It's Not a question of the members needing or wanting, It's simply a gesture on Rich's part to recognize them... IMO.
But who knows, if people get titles and are recognized they may come back or change their mind about leaving.
Unread 09-16-2007, 08:56 AM   #6
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

I'm a charter member of the Blue Knights LEO M/C here in Tampa. Got a mug for that one It's on my shelf

Get 'em a mug and move on......

Seriously though, I see Kens side and Rays. The recognition would be nice for those that pioneered the site, but you have to wonder about the other 61?

Like FlaDad said though, you don't know why they left?

As an addendum to one of the previous suggestions:

You could send out that bulk e-mail to the 61 and give it say a month for a response (if you're not even lurling or looking at the site in a month, you're not interested).

No one responds?

Fine, move to the next 61.

Say 10 respond. You're at 49. Now take the NEXT 51 members to join. Look at thier stats. Are they currently active or like the others, not back since Moses?

If thats the case, send them an e-mail as well and give them however long to respond?

Say 5 respond, now your at 54.

Take the next 36, and so on.

You'll end up with the first 100 people still around (might even consider trimming the deadwood to leave you with the truly last surviving "first 100), and maybe prompt those that are not posting to come back as as an added bonus

An exception to this procedure IMO, would be one of the 1st 100 who has passed away or someone who has had some major event occur in thier life that has prevented them from posting for a while (but occasionally pops in ) Some things in life just take precendence.

The down side to the above? A lot of extra work for you

The charter memberships for paid supporting members is cool, but like Ken said, you don't want to alienate anyone either. there may be some that for whatever reason, at the moment can't do the supporting member thing. They want to support financially, but when thier ability to do so is met, they miss the 1st 100

Besides, you I think were planning special "badges" for those members who decide to support (financially) the site anyway right?

So lets use Greg as an example. Since I believe he was in the 1st 100, if you were to make him a mod in a section, he could theoreticlly look like this:

Supporting member
Supporting vendor
Charter member
Moderator....

He's start looking like Castro with more crap under his name than Fidel has on his chest!! Maybe some scrambled eggs to go with it? Seriously though, there's nothing
"wrong" with that. On the "other" forum, we had people with moderator, St. Jude Supporter, Supporting Member, and how many cruise inns they've attended among other stuff under thier name. But most were in the form of "tag lines" and not ICONS.

So, another solution? Just put a tag line (just like the moderator or vendor-but in another color) under the name of the 1st-100 regardless of thier current posting status and fawgettabowtit!

They'll get the recognition if they're still around (or when they visit) and if not, they won't miss it and no body should be upset Fact is, they were the 1st 100 and why they're no longer around is immaterial

That said, it's a tough decision, and I'll support whatever you decide to do Everyone has good ideas and all have merit.

It's good of you to be thinking about those that helped get the ball rolling
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2007, 11:47 AM   #7
C5Rick

Name : Rick Hice
C5Rick has disabled reputation

I've been trying to write a reply for 20 minutes and I seem to be on the harsh side each time.
I believe it's the "small number" who contribute today are what's important to growth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris308
badges.....!! We don't need no stinkin badges!! S
About badges in general... I don't need one for anything I may do or don't do here. Actually most would probably say to give me badge if I keep quiet
Unread 09-16-2007, 12:39 PM   #8
"Backyard Mechanic"

Name :
"Backyard Mechanic" has disabled reputation

This is so easy to solve,Just give the it to the one who is the funniest,most handsomeist,not sure if that is a word and who has the SHINIEST corvette and the winner is .........................
ME

"Backyard Mechanic" is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2007, 04:08 PM   #9
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backyard Mechanic
This is so easy to solve,Just give the it to the one who is the funniest,most handsomeist,not sure if that is a word and who has the SHINIEST corvette and the winner is .........................
ME

..Now where did I put my boots?
Unread 09-16-2007, 05:53 PM   #10
THOR

Name :
THOR will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backyard Mechanic
ME

I think Rob has been sucking on too many live wires.
Rich, what you are attempting to do in the good spirit of things is wonderful. We come on this forum to chat, have fun, and just enjoy the friendships we've all made. I don't see the badges making a big difference but I can appreciate what you are trying to do. I think Gordon and Ray made excellent suggestions to get your initial charter group. I agree that just because you signed up in the beginning isn't enough to warrant chartership.
Your chartership should include those folks like Ray, Gordon, SteveK, etc. and who you feel help bring life and continuity to Corvette Florida.
THOR is offline   Reply With Quote