The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 04-24-2006, 03:21 AM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Thermostat snake oil?

Sometimes I feel old and maybe technology is advancing faster then I can keep up with it. But other times I wonder if maybe things are really just the same but marketing has just improved tremendously.

I'm sure you all get as many Corvette catalogs as I do, and nearly all of them have these lower temp thermostats either singly or with some sort of "performance package", claiming that using this thermostat will lower your engine running temps and subsequently increase the power of your engine.

Well, you know, I went through this same thing with my '66 GTO many moons ago, and what I discovered was a bit different then what they are telling us. What the temperature ratings of the thermostats indicate is the temperature at which the thermostat opens in order to allow coolant to start circulating in the engine. It's use is to allow the engine to reach proper operating temperature as quickly as possible, which is a pretty good thing in colder climates during the colder periods of the year.

However, no matter what temp thermostat you have, 160, 180, 200, etc., once it opens up completely, then the engine will reach it's operating temperature regardless of when that thermostats opened up. It's just that the 160 degree thermostat will open up sooner then the 200 degree one will. But in ALL instances the operating temperature of the engine will be the same in a very short time, regardless of at what temp the thermostat actually began to open. The ONLY way I found to help decrease the running temperature of an engine that has anything at all to do with a thermostat is by removing it completely. That's because all thermostats will cause a restriction in coolant flow. However, since modern engines may be designed to operate at the temperature that we get them from the factory, in fact, this may not be a real good thing to do.

So is this thermostat hype just snake oil, or have things changed dramatically since my earlier high performance days? Seems a lot of companies are touting the virtures of these lower temp thermostats, so either they are all really off base, or perhaps I am.
Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2006, 10:47 AM   #2
IVOZ06
CRAZYME

Name :
IVOZ06 is on a distinguished road

I had a 160 in before I cahged the cam and the water temp would stay around 175 and oil temp 180 max.

I have been told the the oil temp should go over the 200 mark to get rid of the moisture. I have since replaced my water pump with and LS2 and the thermostat that comes stock. I think 183?

Water temps stay under 200 and Oil hovers bet 197 and 207.

I do have a larger radiator with an oil cooler.

"When I'm good I'm very good but when I'm bad I'm better."
CLICK FOR MY PICS
2001 Z06 TR/Mod Red 400 rwhp
LIFE IS TOO SHORT, HAVE FUN, NO REGRETS
IVOZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2006, 12:11 PM   #3
Rich Z

Hmm, this brings a question to mind. At what temperature does a thermostat CLOSE?

Yeah, I have always thought that a cooler engine is a better engine, but I'm not so sure that is true any longer. Seems like the incoming air and fuel should be cool, but that doesn't go for the bottom end of the motor.
Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2006, 12:33 PM   #4
exile

Name :
exile is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Hmm, this brings a question to mind. At what temperature does a thermostat CLOSE?

Yeah, I have always thought that a cooler engine is a better engine, but I'm not so sure that is true any longer. Seems like the incoming air and fuel should be cool, but that doesn't go for the bottom end of the motor.
Snake oil IMHO. The points you bring up in your first post are correct ie: once the thermostat opens as the engine approaches operating temperatures, it remains open an the cars operate at the temps. suggested by IVO. A thermostat that opens at a lower temp doesn't effect operating temps at all. And yes, these engines expand as they warm up and in doing so achieve the proper tolerances between piston, rings, cylinder walls, and etc. throughout the the motor. Until those tolerances are met, the moving parts have more play in them and you have a greater tendency for say, piston slap and such. I NEVER push my Z till the oil temp (which I almost constantly monitor) reached 190.
I think you're right, it's snake oil..........Tom
Unread 04-24-2006, 06:06 PM   #5
SteveGel

Name :
SteveGel has disabled reputation

get a Handheld Tuner, turn the second fan on earlier, just my 0.2 cent
SteveGel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2006, 02:32 PM   #6
Rich Z

Hmm, I am discussing this issue with a tuner over on CF ....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...p?p=1555450356

Is this guy on the beam with what he is telling me? He is implying a feedback system of some sort between the coolant system and the thermostat. I've just never heard about this sort of thing before and flies against what I have learned about thermostats. But I'm willing to admit that I don't know what I am talking about. It just doesn't SOUND right to me....