The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Firearms and Other Weapons

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Firearms and Other Weapons Had a request for this forum, so here it is. Guess it will give me some place to talk about guns myself after selling my ArmsLocker forum.

Unread 01-09-2011, 11:12 PM   #11
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
I never expected a sheriff to start the blame game. I guess his attitude is that Americans don't 'have a need to know' and that somehow information is a contributing factor to the violence in America.The link at the bottom will take you to the article.

"Heightened and "vitriolic" political rhetoric is being blamed by some for the kind of violence that landed Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords in intensive care following a mass casualty shooting on Saturday, but others say a blame game is hardly appropriate or useful right now.

Pima County, Ariz., Sheriff Clarence Dupnik sparked much of the debate during a press conference Saturday evening in which he blamed talk radio and television for a decline in America."
Oh yeah, I'm sure a nice controlled and docile media that toes the government line is the answer to this problem.......
Unread 01-10-2011, 12:01 AM   #12
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

I think I understand his concern. Americans are already edgy when it comes to politics, what with all the recent teaparty movements and such, aimed at ousting career politicians that are "do nothing" leaches that feed their own agendas at taxpayer expense. Throw in an unbalenced, schitzo, radical non-conformist and watch them become emboldened. A rational person would not react this way. Given the number of irrational people in this world we should expect this. To what degree can we blame the media? It's hard to say, but you must agree ther's a lot of "hype" involved in reporting that wasn't there when I/we grew up.
Unread 01-10-2011, 12:36 AM   #13
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
I think I understand his concern. Americans are already edgy when it comes to politics, what with all the recent teaparty movements and such, aimed at ousting career politicians that are "do nothing" leaches that feed their own agendas at taxpayer expense. Throw in an unbalenced, schitzo, radical non-conformist and watch them become emboldened. A rational person would not react this way. Given the number of irrational people in this world we should expect this. To what degree can we blame the media? It's hard to say, but you must agree ther's a lot of "hype" involved in reporting that wasn't there when I/we grew up.
Man, that's the truth. Used to be that the news REPORTED the news via reporters. Now they want to MAKE the news by being journalists instead so they can earn a Pulitzer.
Unread 01-10-2011, 08:00 AM   #14
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I too understand what he's saying, but as an elected public official, and speaking as "the Sheriff", I think he was irresponsible for saying it.
Doing so places him in the same league as those attention seekers he derides.
He becomes just another radical, freedom grabbing politician in the eyes of the "radicals" he complains about.
Not the best way to win hearts and minds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Man, that's the truth. Used to be that the news REPORTED the news via reporters. Now they want to MAKE the news by being journalists instead so they can earn a Pulitzer.
It's about ratings and $$$.
Generally speaking, "good" doesn't sell press.

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #15
Bob K
Deceased

Name : Bob Korreck
Bob K has disabled reputation

Quote:
I have to disagree respectfully 85. I don't think any blame can be placed on the media. They report the news and to some degree are biased but we know who the sheriff is finding at fault. I cannot speak for the news as it was reported as I grew up but I'm quite sure that now I'm getting "the rest of the story".

Was this guy reacting to the "hype" (your definition) news as it's being reported? I would bet he isn't. There are several bandwagon's a guy like this can jump onto and one way or another he was set on killing people for whatever reason. The sheriff and the liberal press have already placed blame when in fact they have no basis for their remarks.

When I posted this thread I knew what was coming down the pipe and it didn't take long did it?
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2011, 01:03 PM   #16
Bob K
Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I too understand what he's saying, but as an elected public official, and speaking as "the Sheriff", I think he was irresponsible for saying it.
Doing so places him in the same league as those attention seekers he derides.
He becomes just another radical, freedom grabbing politician in the eyes of the "radicals" he complains about.

I am not a radical Shadow. Just another pizzed off American that is tired of the bullshlt.
Unread 01-10-2011, 02:53 PM   #17
85vette

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I too understand what he's saying, but as an elected public official, and speaking as "the Sheriff", I think he was irresponsible for saying it.Doing so places him in the same league as those attention seekers he derides.

Who knows, he may be laying a foundation for a new political career. Or re-charging the one he has.
Unread 01-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #18
85vette

Name :

Quote:
I have to disagree respectfully 85. I don't think any blame can be placed on the media. They report the news and to some degree are biased but we know who the sheriff is finding at fault. I cannot speak for the news as it was reported as I grew up but I'm quite sure that now I'm getting "the rest of the story".

Was this guy reacting to the "hype" (your definition) news as it's being reported? I would bet he isn't. There are several bandwagon's a guy like this can jump onto and one way or another he was set on killing people for whatever reason. The sheriff and the liberal press have already placed blame when in fact they have no basis for their remarks.

When I posted this thread I knew what was coming down the pipe and it didn't take long did it?
No. I'm not making excuses for anyone. But it was just fuel on the fire.
Unread 01-10-2011, 03:51 PM   #19
Bob K
Deceased

Quote:
No. I'm not making excuses for anyone. But it was just fuel on the fire.
Sure, it may have been fuel on the fire but I'm just saying the fire was going to start anyway. This is one reason we have carry permits because there are people like this guy out there. Not that it would have helped in this deal though.

How about some print for the hero's? The woman who tried to knock the pistol out of the guys hand at the city counsel meeting a few weeks ago. Now we're just learning about the hero's at this shooting. Just average folks that put it all on the line trying to prevent more carnage. Words just cannot express the admiration I have for all these folks.
Unread 01-10-2011, 09:47 PM   #20
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I am not a radical Shadow. Just another pizzed off American that is tired of the bullshlt.
I wasn't implying that you were a "radical."
What I mean is, this jokers remarks simply fuel the fires for the radical fringe he seems to disdain.
Wasn't aimed at you brother. I think you and I are pretty much on the same page in that book!

Quote:
Who knows, he may be laying a foundation for a new political career. Or re-charging the one he has.
You know, that's exactly what I was thinking today while listening to some of the radio mouthpieces.
Trying to cacth up to Sheriff "joe"

Quote:
...This is one reason we have carry permits because there are people like this guy out there. Not that it would have helped in this deal though.
From what I understand, the guy that took him down had a weapon ready, safety off and ready for use, but chose other actions for some reason?

Quote:
How about some print for the hero's? The woman who tried to knock the pistol out of the guys hand at the city counsel meeting a few weeks ago. Now we're just learning about the hero's at this shooting. Just average folks that put it all on the line trying to prevent more carnage. Words just cannot express the admiration I have for all these folks.
You didn't pay attention in class Bob

Good news doesn't sell nearly as much air time and affect ratings as much as the bad

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote