The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > CorvetteFlorida Feedback!

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

CorvetteFlorida Feedback! Site Help Needed | Admin Notices | General feedback about this site

Unread 06-20-2007, 06:33 AM   #21
sandman

Name :
sandman is on a distinguished road

How big was the cell?
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2007, 08:43 AM   #22
donzee

Name :
donzee is on a distinguished road

Call me the stalker, Im a daily reader but not a writer.
donzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2007, 09:03 AM   #23
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough
Default Well,

Not everyone gets into the whole Talking aspect of these forums. It's just "Not their Cup" of Tea! Gotta respect That!

Seems to me, the people who are "stalkers" may have Invaluable Input for the question at hand. What would it take to get the "stalkers" more involved?

Hey, if "Backyard Mechanic" is a problem...Consider Him Gone!
J/K...Not within my Power!

Love ya Rob!
Unread 06-20-2007, 10:53 AM   #24
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Hi Rich, I just put a personal experience story on the General BS Forum. Perhaps others could contribute their own to add to the diversity. I'm sure there are some very interesting stories that our fellow subscribers could share. What do you think?
85vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2007, 11:39 AM   #25
SteveK
Car Show DJ

Name :
SteveK will become famous soon enough

This forum has been rock steady in every way.
Those that what to talk it up, do. Those that want to lurk in the background and listen, do.
I personally have not been as active as I once was. I changed jobs and don't find as much time on the forum as I used to. BUT I STILL VOTE EVERY DAY!

If more lurking members would come out of the closet and introduce themselves at events, they would come to understand what a GREAT bunch of people are on here. Being on the Space Coast doesn't allow me the opportunity to get with a lot of the active members that are on the West Coast. But when we all met in Kissimmee we had a great time. Yeah, even Rant , I mean Ray.

If there are any member on here that are in the Melbourne area, let's get together and meet. Get the word out and enjoy this wonderful site.

The traffic is needed to show the sponsors the value. But the sponsors also need to understand that the quality is sometimes better than the quantity.

Hey sponsors..... What to you have to offer the lurking members?

Rich - Build it and they will come. Let quality simmer because quantity may boil over.

Charter Member #64
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2007, 01:45 PM   #26
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road

I don't think there's anything "wrong" with the forum. Here's my analysis of what's going on, for whatever it's worth.

When it comes to things online, size begets size. For example, there are at least 20 or 30 search engine competitors to Google. But they are all smaller than Google. So if you have to search, why not go right to Google, unless you have some strong reason to do otherwise? Same with YouTube, MySpace, Amazon, eBay, etc.

In the case of this board, there is a very successful and (generally) well-run 800 pound gorilla of a competitor. This board offers a better attitude, and the Florida-specific stuff, but other than that, most people are going to go where the mass is. More conversations, more replies to tech questions, etc. Since so much of the draw here is info on local events, the fact that we are now in the summer doldrums has a strong effect imo. Things will pick up in the fall.

Specific suggestions? Well, I have one that may seem counterintuitive: reduce the number of sub-forums, perhaps drastically. The problem here is insufficient traffic volume. We have many subforums that go weeks or even months with no new posts. That generates no buzz, and hence no reason to drop in and check out the buzz. Better to have a smaller number of subforums that actually get posted to. We could go as low as four: General BS, Florida-specific, Tech, and For Sale/Wanted. Well, maybe five, Ray needs to be kept locked up.

There have to be enough people in any given subforum to keep it active or there's no point in having it. If we take the people we have and get them all together in the same (few) rooms, the conversation will be livelier.

Another specific suggestion would be to keep up the effort on keeping the calendar updated, and perhaps making it more accessible. This is the one thing this forum has that other forums don't. It's a key asset; exploit it.

Just some thoughts. Your efforts are appreciated!
BC3/Quicktime/DSS/Pfadt/Carbotech/Quantum/Muffler Mod/PS2 ZPs, Atomic Orange, Dark Titanium 3LZ, Q8A.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2007, 03:28 PM   #27
Nytro
Delta House Member

Name :
Nytro is on a distinguished road

Your concern Rich isn't confined to just this forum, it is tough to recruit people and to get them to just post. I use to be an administrator on another Corvette forum and it also had a problem getting people to post. There are a few things to consider. First off is the forum friendly. This forum certainly is, which speaks volumns about the members here. Sometimes controversy can be helpful sparking threads but personally I think in the long run it's not good for a forum. The main drawback I see is that being a Florida specific forum it seems to leave out a lot of people that might want to participate who have no interest in Florida. I know you don't discourage people not from Floida to join, but there is no hook for them to join up and participate. There are advantages to people living in Florida to have their own place, but presently here, there are none to non Florida residents. Also, being just a Florida specific forum also will probably limit your advertising chances to recruit vendors. It is no secret that money makes a forum grow and be able to recruit members.

I think a lot has also to do with how a forum is set up. Not that there is anything wrong with how this forum is set up, but at the present time there isn't a lot to get a newbies interest. You could set up a section on the history of Corvettes, each specific model having a section about it. You could have a section on Corvette Concept Cars. Could have how to sections, as far as general maintainence, every day stuff, like white papers on tire rotation, oil changes, exhaust changes, I bet not everyone here knows how to change an air filter on a C5. Things like that. There are lots of articles you could get and post to get peoples interest. All it takes is time and design.

I have a folder with a bunch of stuff concerning concepts and model years. I will send it to you in an email, if anything there looks good to you feel free to use it. Also I belong to a very good Mopar site, maybe you want to check it out and see how it is set up and perhaps get some ideas. I will include it in the email.

Jeff

www.adamspolishes.com

Authority forgets a dying king
Nytro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2007, 03:59 PM   #28
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannet

(1) This board offers a better attitude, and the Florida-specific stuff, but other than that, most people are going to go where the mass is. More conversations, more replies to tech questions, etc. Since so much of the draw here is info on local events.

(2) reduce the number of sub-forums, perhaps drastically. The problem here is insufficient traffic volume. We have many subforums that go weeks or even months with no new posts. Better to have a smaller number of subforums that actually get posted to. We could go as low as four: General BS, Florida-specific, Tech, and For Sale/Wanted. Well, maybe five, Ray needs to be kept locked up.

(3) If we take the people we have and get them all together in the same (few) rooms, the conversation will be livelier.

(4) Another specific suggestion would be to keep up the effort on keeping the calendar updated, and perhaps making it more accessible. This is the one thing this forum has that other forums don't. It's a key asset; exploit it.
Hi Gannet, Hi Steve I sure miss you guys!

(1) ...This board does have a Better Attitude and offers FL specific stuff. But, why not JAZZ it up a bit. (See Below).

(2) Again, . But Reducing the Sub forums alone won't cut it imo.
I believe Reducing, Compiling and Replacing some of the Sub Forums, with other sub forums that keep things lively is the Key. Beg, Barrow and Steal from other forums if need be.
To do this, just look to see what's HOT, What do Members Want, Where do the majority of the members hang out, What's good for the Forum?
For Example: Ray's Ranting Room (thanks btw for suggetsting on keeping it ).
It's a Win Win Situation...People like to get crap off their chest and believe it or not, some people like reading about other peoples misery because, it makes them feel better. By having (adding this particular sub forum), it gives members a place to vent or come unglued BEFORE they do it in whatever sub forum they thought it was ok to do so in. Plus, those who choose NOT to read the whining of others (Mostly me ), Don't have to.

(3) Livelier yes, more confusing and harder to locate posts.. definitely.
IMO..Part of the beauty of this board is that one can find threads quickly w/out having to scroll thru a bunch of Hog Wash that doesn't interest or may Offend them.
There again, figure out what the members want and compile, Jazz up, and/or Replace unused forums with new ones.
Again, IMO...Making the forum "Member friendly", by giving them what They want and possibly Expanding is the Right Way to go. Downsizing alone is like "throwing in the towel" and committing Board Suicide.
All of My Blabbering left us right where Rich started...

~Ray
Unread 06-20-2007, 05:29 PM   #29
SteveK
Car Show DJ

Name :
SteveK will become famous soon enough

I have to admit that I rarely ever look at the list of rooms.
I click on New Posts and view anything that catches my eye.
Now if I am about to post a new thread, I will look to see which room is the best fit.

I do like the tech support online idea..... give someone a reason to check us out

Charter Member #64
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2007, 07:46 PM   #30
Rich427
'69 Vert/'01 Vert/'04 Z16

Name :
Rich427 is on a distinguished road

With our membership over 1300, I think it is a lot easier to join the forum today and just fade into the sunset. I also think that the larger the forum becomes the more intimidating it maybe for some to start to post, so they don't and they just become a lerker.

Here is a suggestion that might make it easier for the new member to break the ice. After they fill out whatever it is they are going to fill out and hit enter, is there a way for the system to automatically jump them from the registration page to the Welcome Room with a note that says welcome to the Florida Online Corvette Club, please make your first post by introducing yourself to the rest of the members? Don't make it mandatory but I would bet that most will post something and maybe get into the swing of things. Most of us that are active on this site always respond to the new members posts in the WR. I think this would be better than one of us spotting a new member in a subforum and recommending that they go the Welcome Room to say hello to everyone! Just a thought!

Rich
Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote