The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 03-22-2010, 01:01 PM   #1
Curacao
Island in the Caribbean.

Name : Timothy Halley
Curacao is on a distinguished road
Default GM sues replica Corvette maker

General Motors is suing a small Ohio company for building replica versions of its iconic Corvette sports car, court documents show.

Mongoose Motorsports of Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, specializes in replicas of the 1963 Corvette Grand Sport, the rarest Corvette model. Only five originals were built, and they sell for millions when they come up for auction, The Detroit News reported Sunday.

Mongoose replicas sell for less than $90,000, but GM is demanding Mongoose stop producing them at any price, the News said.

GM is suing for trademark infringement and says the replicas, which the automaker calls exact copies of the Corvette's design, have irreparably harmed their iconic brand.

"This is not an homage," GM spokesman Tom Wilkinson said.

Gary Krause Jr., Mongoose operations manager, was unaware of the suit until being contacted by the News.

"That's news to me," he said in a telephone interview. "I really would rather not go into any detail."

Source: http://www.upi.com

-----
Curacao is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 01:55 PM   #2
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

How is it damaging to GM? They're not making/selling them anymore....personally, I wish someone would start making 57 Chevy's again....
Unread 03-22-2010, 05:42 PM   #3
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
How is it damaging to GM? They're not making/selling them anymore.......
I fully agree. I think GM has more important issues at hand,, like MAYBE MAKING A PROFIT FOR ONCE!
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 05:43 PM   #4
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
How is it damaging to GM? They're not making/selling them anymore....personally, I wish someone would start making 57 Chevy's again....
I agree. That's horsechit!!

More of GM's worthless whining

Instead of concentrating on trying to stay afloat and do a solid business, ot seems they'd rather take aim at a small business, filling a niche market that they (GM) no longer care to fill!

If they care so much, why did they not offer the molds to the public themselves?

General Motors, (just in case your head is far enough outside your azz that you can actually hear?), that company has been around for years, not hiding from "you're prying eyes" and done the once great GS a real honor!

You on the other hand, you greedy bastitches, have done NOTHING but gouge the buying public at every opportunity, ask for hand outs to make up for your inept business model, and rape the vette buying public by "branding" everything that touches a vette (even if it also fits a Camaro!) the guise of "elite customer loyalty."

Instead of whining and crying about "trademark", why not hop on the bandwagon WITH them and start handling aftermarket and NOS parts for the cars...now there's a damned novel idea

Instead, it seems you'd rather wait until someone else has taken all the risk, perfected the mold, done all the startup, and waited for it to become a bit profitable, before you "decided" that they were in violation.

You of all had the opportunity to do this yourself, yet chose not to take the risk?

If you're truly concerned over the companies handling of "your namesake", why not work WITH THEM instead of against them, to ensure the product meets "your approval" (I'm sure it far exceeds anything you've done) and share in both the profits and the costs.

Sorry for the rant, but these idiots at GM just piss me off!
Can't handle thier own business without a handout from "US" yet want to tell everyone else what to do

BTW-85...someone does

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 06:03 PM   #5
thebeepster
truth seeker

Name :
thebeepster has disabled reputation

Agreed...well said Shadow! Who was it that said that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?? Why wouldn't the General do all they could to perpetuate the Corvette legend???
thebeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 06:44 PM   #6
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeepster View Post
Agreed...well said Shadow! Who was it that said that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?? Why wouldn't the General do all they could to perpetuate the Corvette legend???
Thanks brother. You'd think huh?

If they (GM) were still making them, or even making parts for them, then I could understand it.

This is just petty BS

Remember:

Unread 03-22-2010, 07:44 PM   #7
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Yeah.... I'd like to hear their argument about how a body style that they haven't made for over 40 years is going to be harmful to them by someone else making the replicas. The only way they COULD support that argument is IF they are intending to reintroduce that body style in the future. Heck, even patents expire in 17 years.

The judge should just throw the case out of court and the defendants file a countersuit claiming abuse of process and defamation of character. I guess libel could be on the table as well, since falsely claiming someone has violated the law is one of the few clearcut ways to win a libel lawsuit.
Unread 03-22-2010, 08:17 PM   #8
als2052
Road Trip!

Name :
als2052 is on a distinguished road

The General is probably worried someone will put out a better product...
Unread 03-23-2010, 07:02 AM   #9
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by als2052 View Post
The General is probably worried someone will put out a better product...

Forgot that part

Remember:

Unread 03-23-2010, 12:59 PM   #10
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Really now! Can you imagine the public response if GM announced they were offering a 1963 split window coupe for 2012 with the choice of LS-2 or LS-9 engines? (full factory warranty) Do you think they might sell a few?