The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Legal Issues

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Legal Issues Traffic tickets | Laws | Pending Legislation

Unread 02-18-2007, 02:22 PM   #1
ZEEEE06
Orange Park, Fl.

Name :
ZEEEE06 is on a distinguished road
Default photo radar license plate covers

Are photo radar license plate covers that block picture taking illegal in Florida?
What's the statute?
ZEEEE06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2007, 09:24 PM   #2
Hardball

Name :
Hardball is on a distinguished road

Try FSS 316.605 State Uniform Traffic Control. Which states in part, " Shall be clear and distinct and free from defacement, mutilation, grease and other obscuring matter, so that they will be plainly visible an legible at all times 100 feet from the rear. (Here's where they getcha)" Nothing shall be placed upon the face of a florida plate except as permitted by law or by rule or regulation of a government agency"
It's pretty vague and open to interpretation. So if you got a ticket, which would you rather do, just pay the "non-moving violation" and remove the "item" from the tag....or go to court and fight it?

Google "Florida state statutes" to read the entire thing, its not very long
Hardball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2007, 10:08 PM   #3
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Seems to me I saw an ad somewhere for a spray that would do that same thing when applied to the license plate. Of course, I didn't realize Florida utilized automated equipment that would capture license plates for speed enforcement....
Unread 02-18-2007, 10:36 PM   #4
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Seems to me I saw an ad somewhere for a spray that would do that same thing when applied to the license plate. Of course, I didn't realize Florida utilized automated equipment that would capture license plates for speed enforcement....
Tests on the spray didn't work out so well. The cover is better. If I decide to do either, I'd take my chances with the cover. Looks just like any of a 1000 other clear covers...except to photo lenses
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2007, 08:51 AM   #5
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough
Default I marked the area (LOOK HERE)that applies below...

How does Veil perform on license plate cover frames spray?Veil works by significantly reducing the laser reflection that occurs from today's high-tech retro-reflective license plates.

These kinds of license plates effectively magnify the light that a police laser gun looks for. It is essential that VEIL is applied to any front-mounted state license plate or personalized license plates to derive any real protection regardless of whether or not the other targeted sections of the vehicle are treated. Craig Peterson of RadarTest.com actually demonstrated the significance of the role license plates play to your targetability with police laser.

In areas where the use of license plate covers is prohibited, Veil can directly applied to the license plate. In these cases the plate will appear darker.

VEIL defeats laser by significantly reducing laser reflection and thus the overall laser visual signature by stealth. Since VEIL doesn't attempt to overwhelm incoming laser - simply eliminate it - VEIL can not nor will not ever produce a jamming code on any police laser gun!

Your vehicle will simply be much harder to successfully target and get a laser speed reading.

Page Top LOOK HERE....
What should I do if I own personalized license plates?For the best protection, we recommend that you don't use personalized license plates or license plate frames on the front of your vehicle, as you needlessly increase your visibility to police laser.

Its difficult enough to defeat photo radar cameras, lidar cameras, or red light cameras, no need to make it any easier for them. If you really desire to use personalized license plate frames, the we recommend that you at least use Veil treated license plate covers. We recommend purchasing an inexpensive clear plastic license plate cover from automotive retail center. They typically run about $5. Further we don't recommend that you use highly reflective or metallice license plate frames.

Page Top
How Many Treatments do I get with VEIL?About 10 treatments/applications.

Depending on factors such as vehicle type & size, whether or not you have a front plate that needs protection, or you are treating the rear - VEIL, on average, will provide about 10 treatments or provide protection for 10 vehicles.

Page Top
How Much does VEIL Cost?Less than $10 USD per treatment or vehicle.

VEIL retails for less than $100 USD and provides for about 10 treatments bringing the cost to less than $10 USD per vehicle / treatment!

Page Top
Can I Wash my Car After Applying VEIL?Yes.

VEIL dries to a weather-resistant film that will withstand repeated washings whether done by hand or machine.

Last edited by ynkedad; 02-19-2007 at 07:03 PM.
ynkedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2007, 06:25 PM   #6
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Thats too much stuff to read, but the report I read last year did not report well for the sprays. Maybe it was different stuff?

So, what are you going to do? Repaint your car with Veil?

We don't aim at the tag plate. Hell, Florida doesn't even have one!
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2007, 06:41 PM   #7
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow
Thats too much stuff to read,
That's why I highlighted the area with "LOOK HERE" . I left the rest of the stuff (FAQ's etc) in just in case the original poster or anyone else wanted more information on the product.
Unread 04-08-2007, 01:24 PM   #8
C5STATETROOPER
Lakeland, FL

Name :
C5STATETROOPER is on a distinguished road

Anything you place over your tag is illegal in FL.

Let me share something with you to help save your money from buying a silly magic spray or covers. Our cameras used in the toll lanes are digital movies, not cameras that snap a picture. The magic sprays do not work with the digital movie recording. I was part of the team that tested this out. Since we do not write tickets for other violations in FL based on a camera, the toll violation is basically the only thing you can try to steal and now that you know it is a digital recorder, you know it won't work.

We arrested a guy a few weeks back for over $9,200.00 in toll violations. He made the comment "How did you guys catch me - my tag cover shields me from the camera". He was surprised to see the hundreds of still frames from the video, a few were so clear you could see his face in the windshield's reflection through the back window.

Arrive Alive!
Unread 04-09-2007, 08:04 PM   #9
ADulay

Name :
ADulay has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5STATETROOPER
...We arrested a guy a few weeks back for over $9,200.00 in toll violations....

Arrive Alive!
Troop,

This just begs the question....

Why did the department wait until this guy had over $9000 in fines before arresting him???

Can I assume that if I run the toll booths in Miami for about 10 years, I won't have to worry about somebody knocking on my door until I'm about 88 years old???

AD (Blue Knights XVI on the west coast)
ADulay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2007, 08:32 PM   #10
ZEEEE06
Orange Park, Fl.

Name :
ZEEEE06 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5STATETROOPER

Arrive Alive!
If anything on the tag is illegal, have you ever given anyone a ticket for having a FOP badge on their tag?:
ZEEEE06 is offline   Reply With Quote