The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Competitions and Racing Forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Competitions and Racing Forum Any and all forms of contests. "Kill" stories are OK, but please note that this site does NOT condone illegal activities. So discretion is advised.

Unread 12-21-2017, 03:30 PM   #1
cor123

Name :
cor123 has disabled reputation
Default Familiar Names to Make Up Corvette Racing North American Endurance Driving Roster

Press Release: Familiar Names to Make Up Corvette Racing North American Endurance Driving Roster
Fässler, Rockenfeller to support team’s long-distance program in 2018

Team has three Rolex 24 and 11 Sebring victories
Duo a part of three victories for Corvette Racing since start of 2016
Corvette Racing set to embark on 20th season of competition

DETROIT (Dec. 21, 2017) – Corvette Racing is bringing back two well-known, championship-winning drivers for North America’s biggest events in endurance sports car. Mike Rockenfeller and Marcel Fässler will rejoin the team’s four full-time pilots for long-distance events in the 2018 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship as part of Corvette Racing’s 20th season.

The landmark campaign, featuring the familiar yellow Chevrolet Corvette C7.Rs, will see Rockenfeller and Fässler competing with Corvette Racing in the Rolex 24 At Daytona, Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring and Road Atlanta’s Petit Le Mans as part of an incredibly strong GT Le Mans (GTLM) category.

“Mike and Marcel have been valued members of Corvette Racing for the past two seasons, and have played key roles in our success,” said Mark Kent, Chevrolet Director of Motorsports Competition. “We look forward to having them on the program again next season as we attempt to repeat as Driver and Manufacturer champions.”

Rockenfeller drove for Corvette Racing in North America the last two years, highlighted by a victory with reigning GTLM Driver champions Antonio Garcia and Jan Magnussen last season at Sebring. He will rejoin the duo in the No. 3 Corvette C7.R where Rockenfeller helped his teammates, Chevrolet and Corvette Racing to a sweep of the GTLM championships.

In addition to his Sebring victory last year, Rockenfeller won the 2010 Rolex 24 in a prototype. Rockenfeller also claimed the 2013 DTM Championship and placed fourth in 2017 points.

Fässler’s 2017 campaign with Corvette Racing will mirror last year’s as he joins Oliver Gavin and Tommy Milner in the No. 4 Corvette C7.R. The trio won at both Daytona and Sebring in 2016 on the way to a sweep of that year’s GTLM titles for Chevrolet and Corvette Racing.

The highly versatile Fässler also drove for Corvette Racing in the 2009 season, and he comes off a 2017 season that saw him win two races in the Blancpain GT Series. He also won overall at Sebring in 2013.

Both Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C7.Rs will officially begin the 2018 IMSA season at the annual Roar Before the 24 at Daytona International Speedway on January 5-7. It is the prelude for the season-opening Rolex 24 At Daytona – an event Corvette Racing has won three times.

MIKE ROCKENFELLER, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “I’m happy to be back again with Corvette Racing, especially for the team’s 20th season. It says a lot about the success and dedication of everyone with this program to compete for this amount of time. I have enjoyed my time with Corvette Racing the last two years. I am grateful for the opportunity to compete in the most important events on the North American endurance racing calendar. Daytona can’t come soon enough.”

MARCEL FÄSSLER, NO. 4 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “It’s great that I will be back to support my teammates at Corvette Racing. The competition in GTLM is the best in the world… very hard and very close racing. The motivation is always there to do well, especially on these big stages – Daytona, Sebring and Road Atlanta. To do it as part of Corvette Racing’s 20th season is even better. I hope we can all make it one that we all will remember.”
cor123 is offline   Reply With Quote