The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Z06Fever!

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Z06Fever! Well, why not? Having one of these toys is definitely an illness for which there is no cure, so let's talk about this specific malady.

Unread 10-11-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
ironhorse
Road Warrior

Name :
ironhorse is on a distinguished road
Default GM sh*t response to Valve guide issues with 08-11 Z06

Hello all,

LS7 Valve guide issue summary:
• Affects a small, number of '08, 09 ’10 and ’11 Z06’s
• GM discovered the condition through our cylinder head warranty data involving a very small percentage of our vehicles.
• Through inspection of returned heads, it was determined that a machining error in the valve guide had occurred at our head supplier.
• The quality issue has been contained as of Feb 2011 with 100% inspection of all heads.
• The most common customer complaint has been excessive valve train noise.
However if the condition is not addressed, it could result in engine failure. To date, where this condition has been observed, it has occurred early in the vehicle life.
What customers need to know: They should drive and enjoy their vehicles without fear. If their car demonstrates this condition, they are likely to hear unusual valvetrain noise first. If you have a concern regarding this issue on your personal vehicle feel free to contact me through private message on this forum and we will work to assist in resolving your concern. Feel free to contact me through Socialmedia@gm.com please put attention Evan in the subject. As always, vehicles that have modifications to the powertrain or the calibrations, are no longer covered by GM's warranty.

Sincerely,
Evan, Chevrolet Customer Service

ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

I guess they are just rolling the dice hoping that most of the failures will take place AFTER the warranty has expired.

So how much valvetrain noise is too much?

Fortunately I got the extended warranty on my '09 Z06.
Unread 10-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
ironhorse
Road Warrior

Name :
ironhorse is on a distinguished road

Hey Rich:
exactly, how much valve train noise IS to much...I will not be surprised if a class action law suite doesn't develope. Also, can you imagine someone blowing there motor from dropping a valve, windowing the block because of it, doing freeway speeds...Oil under the tires...
ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote