The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 06-30-2017, 11:45 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Gopher tortoise on Sanibel Island

The wife and I spent some time on Sanibel Island recently, and one day after coming off of the beach to get on our bikes to ride back to the rental house, Connie spotted a gopher tortoise up the sandy road we used to ride the bikes out to get to a more secluded area of Bowman Beach. I happened to have the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 camera with me, as I was taking some video of the dredging operation going on in the pass between Sanibel and Captiva islands. So I wanted to get some video of that gopher tortoise, even though he was a bit further away than I would have liked. I walked out to the sandy road and just started filming, figuring I would at least get some video before he got spooked and vanished into the undergrowth.

I needn't have worried about that, as it turned out. The tortoise simply started marching towards me like I wasn't even there. I mean he came RIGHT to me! I was glad I had shoes on, because I believe that had I been barefoot, he might have even tried to take a nibble of my toes thinking they were some sort of edible berries. I should have continued video taping while he was right underneath of me, but honestly I started laughing at that point and probably couldn't have kept the camera very steady anyway.

We saw him several times over the time we were there, but that was the only time that he actively headed in my direction. I guess he has seen enough people out there over his lifetime such that he wasn't much worried about human beings being out and about in his stomping grounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvuyThCXdSs