The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Competitions and Racing Forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Competitions and Racing Forum Any and all forms of contests. "Kill" stories are OK, but please note that this site does NOT condone illegal activities. So discretion is advised.

Unread 08-05-2017, 05:07 PM   #1
cor123

Name :
cor123 has disabled reputation
Default CORVETTE RACING AT ROAD AMERICA: Focusing Forward to Sunday

Press Release:

CORVETTE RACING AT ROAD AMERICA: Focusing Forward to Sunday
Fourth-row GTLM start for pair of Chevrolet Corvette C7.Rs.

ELKHART LAKE, Wisconsin (Aug. 5, 2017) – Corvette Racing will go for a repeat at Road America on Sunday from the fourth row of its class following qualifying for the Continental Tire Road Race Showcase. The pair of Chevrolet Corvette C7.Rs will furiously battle to work their way toward the front with the goal of maintaining Corvette Racing’s and Chevrolet’s lead in the GT Le Mans (GTLM) Manufacturer’s, Driver’s and Team points standings in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship.

Corvette Racing is a three-time winner this year in GTLM and has won seven times at the historic 4.048-mile, 14-turn Road America including last season.

Oliver Gavin qualified the No. 4 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C7.R seventh at 2:03.358 (118.134 mph), just ahead of Jan Magnussen and the No. 3 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C7.R at 2:03.581 (117.920 mph).

Saturday’s results weren’t unlike last year’s qualifying efforts – sixth and seventh – but Gavin and Tommy Milner parlayed a seventh-place starting position to a dramatic victory on their way to the GTLM Championship.

There may be more drama in store for Sunday. The weather forecast calls for an increased chance of rain – similar to Friday’s conditions that saw the two Corvettes much closer to the GTLM front-runners.

The Continental Tire Road Race Showcase is set for 1:35 p.m. CT on Sunday, August 6. FOX Sports 1 will air the race live starting at 2:30 p.m. ET with live audio coverage from IMSA Radio and a Corvette Racing In-Car feed available on IMSA.com.

OLIVER GAVIN, NO. 4 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R – QUALIFIED SEVENTH IN GTLM: “After today’s result in qualifying, maybe changeable conditions would suit us. We’ve been surprised by qualifying. I genuinely thought we were closer than that. The Corvette isn’t terrible… certainly not. We made some progress over the weekend. But everyone made such massive gains today. If that’s our competition’s pace in the race, we will certainly be looking for some changeable weather to spice things up. In mixed conditions, I think we have a good, solid car. It has been a theme this year where there has been some wild qualifying pace from some people, then come the race comes everyone comes back to the same point. So that is what we are focusing on - what we can achieve for the race tomorrow. P7 isn’t the end of the world. We started there last year for this race, and we won it. We have to stick to our strengths and execute. I know our team can do that; I’ve seen them do it all year. Even with our luck this year, we have kept soldiering on and staying focused on what our strong points are: executing in the pit lane, strategy, good driver changes and smart driving. That’s what Tommy and I will be completely focused on tomorrow.”

JAN MAGNUSSEN, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R – QUALIFIED EIGHTH IN GTLM: “This was not part of the plan. It wasn’t very enjoyable. The handling of the Corvette was pretty nice; it was just slow. We have some serious work cut out for us from now through the race. We will see what that can get us. I am a little bit surprised that we are that far off the pace; that’s the first time this year. I’m obviously not satisfied with this result. It was a close qualifying between the two Corvettes, but that was about it from our side.”

cor123 is offline   Reply With Quote