The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 07-18-2017, 12:44 AM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Honey bees on the beach at Sanibel

I've been reading off and on about die offs of the honey bee population, and coincidentally enough, I recently experienced something that brought this to mind at the time.

When Connie and I were down on Sanibel Island last month, the rainy season had set in with a vengeance. Now the place we had rented was just a stone's throw from the local mosquito control heliport. And I mean that literally. So we were seeing first hand what we thought was mosquito control at work going full tilt.

Activity was pretty brisk with the copters taking off an landing there, and we just assumed that they were spraying like crazy for the mosquitoes that were obviously now in abundance. But while walking on the beach one day, we got to talking to a local resident who said he had talked with the copter pilots and they said they were spraying, but not for mosquitoes. Unfortunately he did not ask what exactly they were spraying for. Anyway, they said that all the mosquito spraying was being done after dark by planes out of Ft. Myers. And yes we did hear planes flying over head, usually after 10pm.

One night in particular the planes were flying overhead pretty frequently, so I guessed they were getting serious about the spraying. Interestingly enough, the next day we were walking on Bowman Beach, and we noticed that there were a LOT of honey bees laying on the beach. Some dead, and others alive but apparently unable to fly. This was actually quite a nuisance, because if you were to step on one of these still living honey bees, they would definitely light up the underside of your foot. Ask me how I know this... There were also quite a few floating in the water among the waves, again, some alive and some not. We also saw quite a few honey bees flying around as if disoriented above the beach area. One even flew at me from behind and lodged himself between my hat my right ear. Connie wound up pulling that stinger out of the top of my ear, after I pulled the bee out of there.

But anyway, maybe just a coincidence, but there sure were a lot of dead and dying honey bees on that beach directly after the spraying regimen they were doing in the area. But my guess would be that getting rid of the mosquitoes at all costs in order to keep the tourists happy, probably is a whole lot higher on their priority list than trying to keep the honey bees alive.

IMHO, of course.
Unread 07-18-2017, 04:20 AM   #2
mrr23
The Alignment Guy

Name : Robert J Hinton
mrr23 is on a distinguished road

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/02/u...ills-bees.html
Unread 07-18-2017, 11:26 AM   #3
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
Well, that doesn't surprise me in the least. That sort of thing happens when you give a bunch of dopes the power to make decisions over your life.