The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 06-11-2006, 04:29 PM   #1
pewter99
This place cracks me up

Name :
pewter99 is on a distinguished road
Default C5 brake pad swap...

Brake Pads Replacement

Removal Procedure

Inspect the fluid level in the brake master cylinder reservoir.
If the brake fluid level is midway between the maximum-full point and the minimum allowable level, no brake fluid needs to be removed from the reservoir before proceeding.
If the brake fluid level is higher than midway between the maximum-full point and the minimum allowable level, remove brake fluid to the midway point before proceeding.

Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
Remove the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.
Hand tighten a wheel lug nut to a wheel stud to secure the rotor to the hub.

Install large C-clamp (2) over the body of the brake caliper (1) with the C-clamp ends against the rear of the caliper body and against the outboard brake pad.
Tighten the C-clamp (2) evenly until the caliper pistons are compressed into the caliper bores enough to allow the caliper to slide past the brake rotor.
Remove the C-clamp from the caliper.

Remove the upper brake caliper guide pin bolt. 15 and 18mm wrenches needed

Pivot the brake caliper body downward and secure the caliper out of the way with heavy mechanic's wire or equivalent; ensure that there is no tension on the hydraulic brake flexible hose. Do NOT disconnect the hydraulic brake flexible hose from the caliper.

Remove the brake pads from the caliper bracket.
Remove and inspect the brake pad retainers from the caliper bracket.

Installation Procedure
Inspect the caliper slide boots for cuts, tears, or deterioration. If damaged, replace the slides and the boots. Refer to Disc Brake Hardware Replacement - Front .

Install large C-clamp (1) over the body of the brake caliper (3) with the C-clamp ends against the rear of the caliper body and against an old inboard brake pad (2) or a wood block installed against the caliper pistons.
Tighten the C-clamp (1) evenly until the caliper pistons are compressed completely into the caliper bores.
Remove the C-clamp and the old brake pad or wood block from the caliper.

Install the brake pad retainers to the caliper bracket.
Install the brake pads to the caliper bracket. The brake pad wear sensor, mounted on the inboard brake pad, must be positioned so that it is in the trailing position during forward rotation of the brake rotor.
Pivot the brake caliper upward, over the brake pads and into the caliper bracket.

Install the upper brake caliper guide pin bolt. Tighten
Tighten the brake caliper guide pin bolt to 31 N·m (23 lb ft).

Install the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.

Lower the vehicle.

With the engine OFF, gradually apply the brake pedal to approximately 2/3 of its travel distance.

Slowly release the brake pedal.

Wait 15 seconds, then repeat these steps until a firm brake pedal apply is obtained; this will properly seat the brake caliper pistons and brake pads.

Fill the brake master cylinder reservoir to the proper level. Refer to Master Cylinder Reservoir Filling in Hydraulic Brakes.

Don't forget to burnish the pads...

Check with the manufacturer for their recommendations on this procedure.
pewter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2006, 06:46 PM   #2
3318C5

Name :
3318C5 has disabled reputation

Great post; I will also be replacing my rotors as well on Tues. I'll try and also post some pics....Mike

03 An Ed M6
Mods=A lot...
3318C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2006, 08:12 PM   #3
pewter99
This place cracks me up

Name :

after my car gets back I will be cleaning the rotors and polishing them...will post pics if I don't completely F them up
Unread 06-11-2006, 09:45 PM   #4
EatRice

Name :
EatRice has disabled reputation

Brake fluid level is a measurement of how much pad you have left. If there is no leak in the system you should not loose any brake fluid. The lower the fluid level the less amount of brake pad you have left.
Unread 06-11-2006, 10:05 PM   #5
pewter99
This place cracks me up

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatRice
Brake fluid level is a measurement of how much pad you have left. If there is no leak in the system you should not loose any brake fluid. The lower the fluid level the less amount of brake pad you have left.

I actually had to remove some fluid when I was done...it was over the full line quite a bit...I had just bled the entire system out before I went to Cruise In..all new fluid