The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > On The Road Outside of Florida

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

On The Road Outside of Florida Cruising | Scenic Routes | Speed Traps | Cool Places To Visit | Interesting Experiences while travelling outside of Florida.

Unread 05-05-2010, 06:06 PM   #11
Rich427
'69 Vert/'01 Vert/'04 Z16

Name :
Rich427 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by THOR View Post
You guys are making me hungry for Crabs and it's still breakfast time. I use to eat steamed crabs in New Orleans back in my dental school days in the 80's. Nothing like a plate of crabs with some cold beer.
I like the Vinegar, Beer, Bay seasoning, and rock salt recipe. What proportions are you using per dozen crabs?
I use a steaming pot that has a bottom section for the liquid and the large pot that has holes in the bottom for the crabs. I put a little more than an inch of the liquid in the bottom pot. I mix plain white vinegar 50/50 with water and I add a beer or two to this mixture. I put the bottom pot on the stove and get it simmering. Then I mix Old Bay 75/25 with rock salt. As I put the live crabs in the pot I sprinkle a little of the seasoning on each crab. The seasoning gets in their eyes and tends to calm them down. After I have a layer of crabs in the pot. I apply a liberal amount of seasoning on each crab, then start another layer. Once the pot is full (1 1/2 to 2 dozen, depending on size of crabs) I put the lid on the pot and place it on the bottom pot that is simmering on the stove. Don't forget to put something heavy on the lid to make sure that the crabs don't try to jump out of the pot. I use a couple of very small C clamps to keep the lid on the pot. I steam them for around 30 minutes.

If I am steaming more than one batch, I will pull the top pot off leaving the bottom pot on the stove simmering. I empty the crabs out of the top pot and put more crabs with seasoning back in the pot. This will take about 10 minutes to do and gives the crabs you just steamed a little time to cool down just enough so that you can handle them. While we are eating the first batch, the second batch is steaming.

Give it a try and enjoy!

Rich

2014 Z51 7 Speed Convertible
Laguna Blue/Grey/Grey
Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote