The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 09-21-2018, 03:45 PM   #11
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

For what it's worth, the previous owner of my V put MSD red coils on it. I don't know what part numbers, but I put over 70K miles on them and had no issues. I don't know what installing them entailed as far as dwell etc. but I had no ignition woes.
Unread 09-21-2018, 05:35 PM   #12
mrr23
The Alignment Guy

Name : Robert J Hinton
mrr23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Yes, I noticed that too when I looked at the pictures. Not sure when nor how that happened. I'm intending on dabbing a bit of Plastidip on it when I replace the alternator. Which reminds me, I wanted to order some white and red Plastidip. I have black and white (spray only), but no red no white in the "dipping" variety.

As for my oem alternator, I'm not sure I still have that around, as I replaced the alternator a LONG time ago. But seems to me I do have a couple around here somewhere.

As for the ignition rpm, from what I have been reading recently, I thought that was controlled via a signal by the PCM?
the exciter in the alternator is what does it. once it reaches rpm speed it sends the signal to the computer. been there, done it. the reman alternator i got had a test sheet showing output testing and showed when it excited. sure enough it wouldn't not turn on until i hit 2200 rpms. kept getting the charging system fault on the dash. so had mine rebuilt and gave theirs back.
Unread 09-21-2018, 06:10 PM   #13
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
For what it's worth, the previous owner of my V put MSD red coils on it. I don't know what part numbers, but I put over 70K miles on them and had no issues. I don't know what installing them entailed as far as dwell etc. but I had no ignition woes.
I think the 8285 MSD coils would work with the stock dwell of the LS1/6 system without alterations, but the additional wiring harness MAY be necessary in some instances. MSD has indicated that *some* vehicles may have insufficient gauge wire in the stock ignition harness to carry the current their coils need. So it sounds to me that if you have problems with the coils, then adding the harness would be recommended. That being said, I have read accounts of people putting in the MSD harness even with stock coils to help provide more current to the coils.
Unread 09-21-2018, 06:24 PM   #14
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
the exciter in the alternator is what does it. once it reaches rpm speed it sends the signal to the computer. been there, done it. the reman alternator i got had a test sheet showing output testing and showed when it excited. sure enough it wouldn't not turn on until i hit 2200 rpms. kept getting the charging system fault on the dash. so had mine rebuilt and gave theirs back.
Well, I don't think I have hit up against that particular problem. At least not yet. I have had at least three alternators in the C5Z since I bought it, and never got that sort of error message. Since the car will cruise on the highway in 6th gear well below 2200 rpms, I would think the battery would gradually discharge and such an error fault would manifest itself. Just cruising down route 95 at the speed limit would be well under 2200 rpms, so if the alternator is not charging the battery the entire time, I would imagine the battery would go dead in pretty short order that way. Heck, I would imagine that most of my driving is actually below 2200 rpm.

Wouldn't this show up on the ammeter while driving? When my current alternator was working OK, it would normally show 14 volts regardless of what speed the engine was running. Even at idle just sitting in the garage. Wouldn't that be telling me that the alternator was pumping juice to the battery regardless of engine speed?

Now you have me interested in looking into how this actually works. I would have thought the circuitry would monitor the battery voltage, regardless of engine speed, and spark up the alternator when electrical demands needed the juice. Sort of how a trickle charger works.

But I am guessing that there has to be some lower limit in the speed the alternator is spinning when it cannot deliver the amps necessary. Which then brings up the question as to whether a higher amperage rated alternator would be able to deliver that lower limit amperage at a lower rpm speed than a lower rated alternator. For instance a 145 amp alternator could deliver, say 50 amps at 1200 rpm (just pulling numbers out of my hat) whereas a 110 amp alternator might need 1600 rpm to deliver the same amperage. Honestly, I have no idea. Might be the complete reverse.
Unread 09-25-2018, 02:35 AM   #15
Rich Z

The alternator from Advance Auto got delivered today, so I went ahead and installed it. Easy enough to do. Not least of which was because I didn't have a clearance problem with the coil above cylinder #1 like I was worried about. It's REAL close, but it is OK.

Cranked it up and this alternator is putting out 14+ volts to the battery, so that should keep it charged up OK.

Of note is that the paperwork included with the alternator indicates that it is putting out 61 amps at idle engine speed. Not sure what exactly the engine rpm speed is for that figure, however. I believe the stock alternator puts out 110 amps, so this one at 145 amps should keep the electrical juices flowing sufficiently.

I actually thought I would be getting an alternator with a clutch pulley on it, but oh well. Pics showed it that way when I ordered it. But I guess Advance Auto isn't exactly on the ball. For instance I didn't get the tracking number email from them until a good 8 hours after it had already been delivered.

Also, while I was at it, I pulled out the fixed tension serpentine belt tensioner I put on several years ago. Put a stock spring loaded tensioner back in. I noticed that the serpentine belt tension with this spring loaded one is noticeably less than what the spec tension was for that fixed one at 25 ft./lbs at the tensioner wheel.

Guess this means a test drive is in order tomorrow or the next day.........
Unread 09-25-2018, 06:26 AM   #16
85vette

Name :

Looks better than the other one.
Unread 09-25-2018, 12:14 PM   #17
Rich Z

Yeah, I think so too. Wish they hadn't put that sticker on top of it, though. On the alternator I had on before this one, they had stickers on it too. When I tried to remove them, it made the word "VOID" or some such visible, so I just left them. Heck, now I'm wondering if I had a lifetime warranty on that older alternator. Like I would remember something like that a few years later....

Well, at least I didn't need to spend $620 on a new set of ignition coils right now. Of course, I have been reading about the multispark capabilities of those MSD coils, and wondering if that would help with the unburned gasoline smell I get at idle. I never did get the open loop tuning at low RPM the way it should be, and I can smell it is running a bit rich until closed loop kicks in.

Maybe if I get a big fat social security raise from the government for doing such an excellent job at being retired I'll think about buying a set of those coils.
Unread 09-26-2018, 10:38 AM   #18
Rich Z

While I had the car running making sure the serpentine belt was positioned correctly, I heard the AC compressor clutch clicking on an off at idle. So I think I do have to check those pressure readings again, and likely will need to add more freon (or whatever it is called these days). The air blowing out of the vents is plenty cold enough, but I thought a cycling compressor was a sure sign of low freon.
Unread 09-26-2018, 11:55 AM   #19
85vette

Name :

They won't run constantly but will cycle when head pressure gets high enough but that's normal. But they will also cycle when it's low on freon. So still would be a good idea to check the freon level.
Unread 09-26-2018, 05:17 PM   #20
Rich Z

The light on the button for the AC will often flicker on and off when I am sitting at idle. Been doing that for a while. It cycles about every 5 or 6 seconds. Of course, I can only hear it when I am standing in front of the car. Too noisy to hear anything anywhere else.