The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 09-13-2018, 10:22 AM   #1
RockAuto
RockAuto.com

Name : RockAuto, LLC
RockAuto is on a distinguished road
Smile RockAuto.com Discount Code for Parts & More - Expires March 13, 2019

5% Discount Code: B8E3AD9FF059A0
Expires: March 13, 2019

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. Please note that orders using discount codes must be placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.

RockAuto.com is an online auto parts store founded in Madison, Wisconsin in 1999 by the Taylor family. RockAuto.com ships thousands of auto parts from over 300 manufacturers to customers worldwide.

The RockAuto Catalog includes a full line of mechanical parts, from small items like filters and wiper blades to complete remanufactured transmissions and engine long blocks. The RockAuto catalog also contains a growing number of body parts: door handles, mirrors, sheet metal, bumper covers, even carpets! The RockAuto Catalog includes vehicles from the early 1900s to today, making it easy to find parts no matter what you drive.

Prices on RockAuto.com are reliably low every day! Order online at www.RockAuto.com 24 hours a day. Parts are conveniently delivered to your door. Need help finding parts or placing an order? Visit our Help pages for further assistance!

Thank You!
RockAuto.com

Last edited by RockAuto; 12-13-2018 at 01:57 PM.
RockAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2018, 12:53 AM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Hey, looking for a replacement serpentine belt for my wife's 2001 Silverado pickup 1500, but your site is telling me that there is a difference in belts between a 105 amp alternator and a 130 amp alternator. How do I tell the difference?
Unread 10-02-2018, 10:26 AM   #3
RockAuto
RockAuto.com

Name : RockAuto, LLC
RockAuto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Hey, looking for a replacement serpentine belt for my wife's 2001 Silverado pickup 1500, but your site is telling me that there is a difference in belts between a 105 amp alternator and a 130 amp alternator. How do I tell the difference?
Hello,
Unfortunately, I do no know exactly how ascertain which alternator you have. The belt specifications displayed on the "info" pages may be of some help to you though.
Thanks!
RockAuto.com
RockAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2018, 10:28 AM   #4
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Look for these codes in your glove box Rich:

Alternator RPO Codes:
For.....105 Amp Alt.....8W5 / K61 / K62 / K68......(Any of those codes means that you have a 105 Amp Alt)

For.....130 Amp Alt.....8A7 / KG8.........(Any of those codes means that you have a 130 Amp Alt)
Unread 10-02-2018, 10:30 AM   #5
85vette

Name :

For future reference:

http://www.rpocodes.com/
Unread 10-02-2018, 12:03 PM   #6
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
Look for these codes in your glove box Rich:

Alternator RPO Codes:
For.....105 Amp Alt.....8W5 / K61 / K62 / K68......(Any of those codes means that you have a 105 Amp Alt)

For.....130 Amp Alt.....8A7 / KG8.........(Any of those codes means that you have a 130 Amp Alt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
For future reference:

http://www.rpocodes.com/
Hey! Great! Thanks for the help!

I'm guessing it is probably the 105 amp, as the truck doesn't have anything special that would be drawing a lot of extra current from the electrical system. But you just never know....

I'll have to run over to the garage and see if I see anything in the glove box. Connie's truck has around 120K miles (I think) on it and probably has the original belts on it. We bought it used so they are likely originals.
Unread 10-02-2018, 12:20 PM   #7
85vette

Name :

Glad to help.
Unread 10-03-2018, 02:38 AM   #8
Rich Z

I checked the codes in Connie's truck and it's a 105 amp alternator. I took a look at the serpentine belt that it is in there now, and it looks fine to me. No cracks or anything looking like the belt is passed it's prime. Looks like it will be a pain in the butt to change out, too. I think the air intake will have to come off to get to the tensioner. So maybe I don't need to be in any hurry to change out that belt.
Unread 10-03-2018, 04:44 AM   #9
85vette

Name :

I can't remember when I last had to change one from it simply being worn or cracked. But I always keep one behind the seat of my trucks just in case. And I have been glad I did twice. When I was driving my last one ton dually commercially I had a water pump bearing go bad and chew one up in Indiana and another time the vacuum pump locked up and ate it in Tennessee. Both times I had to be towed but at least I had the right belt. It may not seem like much savings but IIRC I paid over $500.00 for each repair. And if I didn't already have a belt they probably would have charged me another $100.00 or so. They gouge you pretty hard when you're on the road and have break downs. I'm just glad I didn't have an RV on the back of my truck when it happened or the tow bill would have been double.
Unread 10-03-2018, 10:17 AM   #10
Rich Z

Yeah, I have a spare belt in the trunk for the C5Z, but haven't gotten one for the C6Z nor the Jeep. Might have to do that, as it really is a good idea to have spares handy.