The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 05-08-2006, 12:16 PM   #1
c5inparadise

Name :
c5inparadise is on a distinguished road
Default Issues/problems regarding headers/intake

I have an 04 A4, completely stock, except for GHL Bullets. I would like to add LG Streets, hi-flo cat, x-pipe, and Halltech air intake, but while researching other vette owners stories, who have installed the same if not similar set-up, 80% of them had issues regarding throwing codes, O2 sensors not working properly, tuning issues, etc... I realize these issues are fixable, but I'm wondering if it's worth the effort. I am not mechanically inclined so any fallout would need to be handled by a shop. I can see it now.....at the shop one week for one code then at the shop next week for another code. My questions are as follows:

1. Is it a given that I will have problems, like the ones I mentioned above, after the install?

2. Are there other common issues I could encounter?

3. If I do pull the trigger, what type of tune do I need? I've read about needing/not needing a dyno tune to a hand held tune.

4. Lastly and most importantly, I would want the work done by the best shop that is in Florida. I'd even be willing to ship my car to LG in Texas, but I remember reading a horror story about tuning an A4 w/2:73 gears. I guess the person doing the tuning had the guys car in 2nd or 3rd and was tacked at 165! I don't know anything about tuning but I can' remember the last time I drove in second or third doing 165.

Any and all info/opinions are welcome,

Thanks
c5inparadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2006, 12:31 PM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5inparadise
I have an 04 A4, completely stock, except for GHL Bullets. I would like to add LG Streets, hi-flo cat, x-pipe, and Halltech air intake, but while researching other vette owners stories, who have installed the same if not similar set-up, 80% of them had issues regarding throwing codes, O2 sensors not working properly, tuning issues, etc... I realize these issues are fixable, but I'm wondering if it's worth the effort. I am not mechanically inclined so any fallout would need to be handled by a shop. I can see it now.....at the shop one week for one code then at the shop next week for another code. My questions are as follows:

1. Is it a given that I will have problems, like the ones I mentioned above, after the install?
No, not really. I've gotten a few codes thrown concerning the rear O2 sensors, but they are not really indicators of a destructive condition. It kind of means that they just aren't getting as hot as they should be and are just yelping a bit. But it doesn't mean anything is really "wrong". There are supposed to be ways to disable the error logging, but so far I haven't figured out how to do that with my new Predator handheld.

Quote:
2. Are there other common issues I could encounter?
Well, I had an alternator related problem which seems to have stemmed (possibly) from the tech not tightening down a grounding terminal for the alternator after the header install. But really has nothing much at all to do with the actual header install itself.

Quote:
3. If I do pull the trigger, what type of tune do I need? I've read about needing/not needing a dyno tune to a hand held tune.
I had the LGM Pro headers, cats, and X-pipe installed and I don't think I "needed" a tune at all. It felt just fine afterwards with a nice seat of the pants increase in go power. But many people say that there is more power left on the table that a custom tune can bring out. I think a handheld has the capability of doing this with a little learning curve and reiterative settings, but I'll know more about this later, I think.

Quote:
4. Lastly and most importantly, I would want the work done by the best shop that is in Florida. I'd even be willing to ship my car to LG in Texas, but I remember reading a horror story about tuning an A4 w/2:73 gears. I guess the person doing the tuning had the guys car in 2nd or 3rd and was tacked at 165! I don't know anything about tuning but I can' remember the last time I drove in second or third doing 165.
I had mine done at Champion Chevrolet up here in Tallahassee and am satisfied with the work. The tech there is competent. I would think there is someone closer to you then Texas that could do the job at a lesser total expense.

Certainly there should be other Corvette enthusiasts in your local area that you could get to recommend someone to you for the work.
Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2006, 02:15 PM   #3
c5inparadise

Name :

Great info!! By the way, how much should I expect to pay for an install and tune? Thanks for the input. Really appreciate it.
Unread 05-08-2006, 02:29 PM   #4
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Great info!! By the way, how much should I expect to pay for an install and tune? Thanks for the input. Really appreciate it.
There's a guy I've heard good things about in Brandon FL for tuning. His name is Tom, and he goes by FRCTom on another forum. Call "Antivenom" (Anti-venom is possibly the spelling) in Brandon, it's a shop that specializes in vettes. Ask for Tom, (FRCTom) as he works there. He can set you up with a great program on your vette. He can give you prices too.

Definetly alot closer than Texas
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2006, 03:04 PM   #5
c5inparadise

Name :

Thanks. I'll give Tom a call. I may even drop by IVO's Saturday. I believe Tom is tuning a vette....besides a good reason to meet a few fellow vette heads!
Unread 05-08-2006, 04:42 PM   #6
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

I thought I heard they were installing headers too at the party. Wish I could get down there.......

Anyway, I think the dealership charged me around $600 or so for the header install. I'm not positive because I had some other things done at the same time and I haven't really looked closely at the itemized details on the invoice. It was worth it to me to not have to do that work!

As for the tune part, beats me. Up here in the north Florida area a dyno tune will cost around $700. I don't know what Anti-Venom charges, but I think that would be your best bet for the tune anyway. If I can't make any satisfactory headway with my Predator, then that will be the route I will want to take myself.

Besides I would want to check his place out in case I ever get the overwhelming urge to get twin turbos sometime down the road....
Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 08:17 AM   #7
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

Ivo and I are installing my LG longtubes this Friday. FRCTOM will be at the mod party on Saturday and will be tuning my car. He is the best tuner. For the install and dyno tune, you should call Greg at Antivenom 813-661-9000.
He is located on S. Parsons Ave in Seffner, Fl.

You are all welcome to stop by the mod party at Ivo's

http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forum...hread.php?t=80

Scott

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 08:32 AM   #8
c5inparadise

Name :

Thanks.
Unread 05-09-2006, 09:22 AM   #9
MADN3SS

Name :

Here is an article from Vette Magazine's June 2006 issue. Details an STS install by Greg from AntiVenom.
Attached Images

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
Unread 05-09-2006, 09:23 AM   #10
MADN3SS

Name :

The rest.
Attached Images